My new gas cap

Energy One

Mr. Wright

Guru
Supporting Member
Sorry Steve, it would be expensive to make with out a CNC machine. And we a very limited supply of aluminum, that's why most of the stuff I've been making for my bike has been out of brass, and it take forever to polish the machine marks out of brass.

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
Sorry Pablo, I wasn't trying to out do you. You just inspired me, and I had some free time today. Still have some more polishing to do. And no, I not going to make anyone else one, sorry.
Nice!, just got home hope to get somthin started next week. My hand is swollen up pretty bad guess I jumped back in the truck to soon after the surgery...:2thumbs:

Nཛ͢ཀཇཧ༏ཧי

... .... .- .. -.
Supporting Member
Sorry Steve, it would be expensive to make with out a CNC machine. And we a very limited supply of aluminum, that's why most of the stuff I've been making for my bike has been out of brass, and it take forever to polish the machine marks out of brass.
I'm curious. Has anybody considered having these types of things printed (3D printer)? Somebody would have to make the first one of each design, but then you could scan it in & print off reproductions at will.

TapioK

I'm curious. Has anybody considered having these types of things printed (3D printer)? Somebody would have to make the first one of each design, but then you could scan it in & print off reproductions at will.
Am I wrong to say you can't print aluminum, but that plastic kind of thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nཛ͢ཀཇཧ༏ཧי

... .... .- .. -.
Supporting Member
Aluminum printers have Ben around for
Am I wrong to say you can't print aluminum, but that plastic kind of thing
Soft metal printers have been available for a number of years now.
Jay Leno has been utilizing one for over a decade to make parts for his rare car collection.
It's only been in the last couple of years that they have come down in price. One big enough to make fuel caps, timing covers, and other comparable size parts would run in the neighborhood of $10,000.

TapioK

Aluminum printers have Ben around for

Soft metal printers have been available for a number of years now.
Jay Leno has been utilizing one for over a decade to make parts for his rare car collection.
It's only been in the last couple of years that they have come down in price. One big enough to make fuel caps, timing covers, and other comparable size parts would run in the neighborhood of $10,000.
Interesting! We will see more custom parts for sale soon I suppose!

Tapio

Nཛ͢ཀཇཧ༏ཧי

... .... .- .. -.
Supporting Member
It wont by hand crafted and one off!
No argument there. But unfortunately not everybody has it in their budgets to buy a fuel cap that takes 40 hours to make.
I'm thinking that someone like yourself that has the talent & tools to create the one off pieces could invest into a equipment that could reproduce your creation on demand, then the reproductions could be sold at a much lower price point.
There would still be a number of people that would want the one off.
But like the Tri-Bar style you were looking at adapting, wouldn't it be nice to be able to have a saved program to reproduce it? Really it's already not an original, but it's also not available for our bikes.