Lost ignition key while riding

Simar Singh

I guys I have 2002 Big dog Mastiff and while riding home, I lost my ignition key. I think it fell off the ignition switch on a bump or something. Do you think I need to replace the ignition switch or is there any other solution.

Drdave427

A really good locksmith probably can cut a key if he has enough information - or replacing the switch - don’t know which would be less $$
Locksmiths are pricey around here

HMAN

Just like to ride
Supporting Member
Call Eric @ HDM. I had the same thing happen.....twice! New switch from HDM and problem solved.

Reactions: LHS

Simar Singh

Thank you guys appreciate the quick responses. I will cal them Monday and see if they can help. Also while searching other posts, I found that countyline switch from TSC might work as well without any modifications. Not sure if this will work on my 2002 mastiff as well. I have attached the pic below.
1589668785685.png

1 B.M.F.

I have a zip tie on mine now. My son found a gold bracelet. Going to put on so I don’t have to keep replacing zip ties.

HMAN

Just like to ride
Supporting Member
Thank you guys appreciate the quick responses. I will cal them Monday and see if they can help. Also while searching other posts, I found that countyline switch from TSC might work as well without any modifications. Not sure if this will work on my 2002 mastiff as well. I have attached the pic below.
View attachment 73937
It will probably work.....for a while. These bikes vibrate the crap out of every part. The tractor switches wont handle it for long. They are cheaper, but sometimes cheaper aint better. Just my .02.

knothead

RIGID4LIFE
Supporting Member
New switch and a clip on key chain to your spark plug wire and problem solved....i would not do the tractor supply switch...it wont last no time like Hman said...and when ur getting a new switch from HDM get some fiberglass washer also from them to help with the vibration...

chubs

Guru
Once upon a time,in a land far away, (Kansas) a group of riders were cruising along having a grand old time. It seems that one of the riders who will remain nameless,We will just call him "Tapio" managed to lose his key while messing with his plug wires or something down there. As several of his fellow riders waited patiently on the side of the road, this rider we'll call "Tapio" walked a good mile back down the road looking for the missing key. While passing the time of the search, it was discovered that the key from another rider's bike, ( Easy dog if memory serves me), fit perfectly on the vacant ignition switch. THEN the best part of this whole story is that the A.W.O.L. key had fallen down and was laying safely on the bike's primary case in plain view ! Just another very fond memory of the get-togethers in Kansas with some of the best people a person could ever hope to meet!!! You folks all stay safe out there ! P.S. Yeah, replace the ignition switch !

Pddain

PHTM II
I just replaced the ignition switch yesterday. Bought the switch from Eric and Donna at HDM. Around $65 for the switch and two keys. Hardest part was getting the bolts out and back in. Thanks to some great advice from those on the forum, it was simple and the switch was an exact match.

Simar Singh

I guess i will have to call Eric monday morning. Funny thing, I just tried my mailbox key. Inserted approximately quarter key in the switch and it works. but i will surely get the switch replaced.
Appreciate all the responses guys.
Stay safe✌

No H2O

Supporting Member
Not key related, but those are some nice looking spark plug wires. Where did you get them? I would like to get a set of green ones to go with my bike.
You can get them at either:
or