Lost electrical

Energy One
My 06 K-9 is dead. Several years ago I replaced the electrical with the BD PDM harness. For the last few rides I was experiencing an intermittent loss of power when I turn the key switch on. I have a Dakota Digital speedo that would flash then go dark except for Neutral indicator would stay lighted. nothing else would work. I would turn the key on?off a few times and I would regain normal full function. Hoping this was a fluke until I was riding and it died again with not power except for neutral indicator light. I can turn the key on and hear a relay under seat click but that is it. It is not dead and I can not regain function by cycling the key on/off. I can only assume something fail with the PDM but I have no clue where to start to isolate the problem. Secondly, if it is the BD PDM module when can I purchases one?

bdm7250

Guru
Lifetime Supporting Member
Supporting Member
My 06 K-9 is dead. Several years ago I replaced the electrical with the BD PDM harness. For the last few rides I was experiencing an intermittent loss of power when I turn the key switch on. I have a Dakota Digital speedo that would flash then go dark except for Neutral indicator would stay lighted. nothing else would work. I would turn the key on?off a few times and I would regain normal full function. Hoping this was a fluke until I was riding and it died again with not power except for neutral indicator light. I can turn the key on and hear a relay under seat click but that is it. It is not dead and I can not regain function by cycling the key on/off. I can only assume something fail with the PDM but I have no clue where to start to isolate the problem. Secondly, if it is the BD PDM module when can I purchases one?
Start by eliminating the key switch for testing, I've used an on/off toggle before. Sounds like key switch may be bad. I had a PDM before and ongoing problems with it made me ditch it and get an ESC from DOC.

Mr. Wright

Guru
Supporting Member
Sounds like key switch is going bad. When you turn the key on, wiggle it around and see if you loose power

I did (wiggle) to no avail. I was thinking switch initially as well but why would not affect the Neutral indicator light but everything else. I am thinking the PDM but I know nothing about it.

Mr. Wright

Guru
Supporting Member
You are correct. I'd start unplugging plugs, and check for loose or broke wires at the connectors. Do them one at a time, wiggle them with the key on.

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
You are correct. I'd start unplugging plugs, and check for loose or broke wires at the connectors. Do them one at a time, wiggle them with the key on.
Been there, done that... hated every minute of it. Best to replace that rats nest relic..

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
I would love to replace, what do you recommend?
Since you have the PDM, you'll need a new wire harness, the ESC comes with what you need to do the swap. I've had mine for a number of years now and it has never let me down.

Actually, I have both the PDM currently installed and dead as well as the OEM harness that was alive and well when I removed it. Firstly, where do I find ESC? Secondly, I need easy with clear detailed instruction. I have limited skill sets when it involves this stuff. I actually struggled with the PDM adn no one in the area I would trust even if I could find anyone.