Installing 2.5” extended foot controls

ChopperJeff

I just got the 2.5” extended foot control kit from Big Dog, and am wondering…do I need to add length to the hydraulic line for the rear brake?
Found some installation instructions online that at one point says “When installing extended controls, replacement of the extended banjo fitting is required.”. OK, so I have not clue what that sentence is talking about. I guess the bottom line is, will the existing hydraulic line reach once I extend it out 2.5”?

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I just got the 2.5” extended foot control kit from Big Dog, and am wondering…do I need to add length to the hydraulic line for the rear brake?
Found some installation instructions online that at one point says “When installing extended controls, replacement of the extended banjo fitting is required.”. OK, so I have not clue what that sentence is talking about. I guess the bottom line is, will the existing hydraulic line reach once I extend it out 2.5”?
The kit should have had an extended banjo bolt that you need to install. That will bring the connection back so that the brake line will reach.

ChopperJeff

The kit should have had an extended banjo bolt that you need to install. That will bring the connection back so that the brake line will reach.
Nope! No extended anything included. It comes with the left and right side brackets, and the extended shift rod. Nothing else. Not even any bolts needed to install it. When you purchase it, it even states that no installation hardware is included. Maybe for $300 I should expect more. Maybe I’ll just return it, but then, what choice do I have in extending the foot controls?

What gets me too is that in the kit they provide a card you can scan that theoretically gets you to a site that has installation instructions. I scan the code, and a site pops up. I then enter the part number of the kit I purchased, and basically it tells me that there is no such product. At this point I have to say that I am not happy about this purchase.

Funny thing is that the installation instructions I found have nothing to do with the big dog biker site, as they were from wildsteelworx.

Last edited:

ChopperJeff

Last edited:

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Basically you are in need of a longer version of this https://www.jpcycles.com/product/goodridge-build-a-line-banjo-fittings
Call Wildsteedworx, I'msure he could point you in the right direction if he doesn't have it in stock.
Bigdogpartskingpin.com is where most of us get the parts for the older BDM as well as Wildsteedworx.com
The controls are out of stock at the moment at bigdogpartskingpin

Th3Infamous1 or Knothead -- do you guysknow the goodridge part number or length for that banjo fitting?

If I'm under the bike this weekend I'll measure mine. Back in te day (2008) this came with the kit!

ChopperJeff

Basically you are in need of a longer version of this https://www.jpcycles.com/product/goodridge-build-a-line-banjo-fittings
Call Wildsteedworx, I'msure he could point you in the right direction if he doesn't have it in stock.
Bigdogpartskingpin.com is where most of us get the parts for the older BDM as well as Wildsteedworx.com
The controls are out of stock at the moment at bigdogpartskingpin

Th3Infamous1 or Knothead -- do you guysknow the goodridge part number or length for that banjo fitting?

If I'm under the bike this weekend I'll measure mine. Back in te day (2008) this came with the kit!
Thank you for that! Perhaps I’ll callWildsteedworx on Monday to see what he thinks, unless someone chimes in with some info.

Little-Boo

Troop Supporter
Got them straight from the source, namely www.bigdogisback.com

Which then takes you here: Big Dog Motorcycles Parts | 2007 K-9 | Foot Controls & Pegs

I just filled out the form on their web site asking about this product. I wonder if there are other places that sell this kit, or a similar kit that includes everything needed to install it. Very frustrating.

You will need the BIG DOg 10 MM 3/8ths straight Benjo fitting for the Brake Line with the two 10 MM washers from the same place place you got the 2.5 Extensions.

Carlos

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club

ChopperJeff

Little-Boo

Troop Supporter
You can order from whoever you want and also listen to whoever you want. The information I gave you is correct. I happened to have dealt with the changing of forward control on more than one occation as I stand 6 feet 4 inches tall and I could use all the leg room available. The 10 MM 3/8ths straight Benjo fitting for the Brake Line with the two 10 MM washers that I told you to get attaches to the Rear master cylinder. I have ordered several from the Original BDM, Inc., when they were still in business. What you can do is look under the master cylinder where the brake hose attached to and see if there is one already on there there. I know they were on there for me when I ordered my forward controls. Look at the pictures attached hereto, so that you can understand where the part goes.

Jersey Mike knows a lot about these bikes and he could be right, but it is evident where the part goes. Please look at the pictures of the Master Cylinder and you will see the straight Benjo attached to the master cylinder. Maybe that is why they equipped the master cylinder with a hole for the Benjo Bolt.

Carlos :old2:

Attachments

ChopperJeff

Did you get them installed? I need a set for my bulldog
Not yet. First, I had to troubleshoot the shorted wire to the license plate light that killed the bike. Then I had to replace the starter that was causing the bike to not start.
It‘s just been one thing after another.
With the upcoming long weekend, maybe I’ll get it done then.

Jeb1981

I just started this. I was able to pull on the brake line enough to get it bolted up. I do not have the extra bolt needed either. I'm gonna try to find something that will work from Lowes tomorrow. Also my new shift linkage came with heim joints but they did not fit in the linkage and the original ones will not fit the new linkage.

Jeb1981

Did you see in the instructions where it says you need something else that is supposed to come with this kit for the shift linkage to clear the frame down tube on the K9 and chopper? Why do they sell this kit without what is needed to install?

ChopperJeff

Did you see in the instructions where it says you need something else that is supposed to come with this kit for the shift linkage to clear the frame down tube on the K9 and chopper? Why do they sell this kit without what is needed to install?
No, I did not see that in the instructions. For the $300 one pays for this thing, you’d think that they could include all the parts required to have the thing work right.
Seems the older I get, the less I want to work on stuff. Hopefully this weekend I’ll tackle this little project. Currently my bike is leaking oil, though I’m not sure if it’s engine oil, tranny fluid or primary fluid, so that project needs to be done first.

Jeb1981

I was able to finish up the install on these. On my 07 K9 I did not need anything to help clear the frame. I was able to adjust the shift rod to where it did not hit and the shift pedal was lined up with the foot brake pedal on the other side And Lowes had the bolt needed to install the plate on the brake side. Took it for a short ride and all was good. Having them extended out is alot better for me.