increased gas tank capacity

Energy One

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
Way back in the day, OG "Raywood" had the same problem quite often. So he actually split the tank open and added enough metal to increase capacity to a little over 5 gallons. But that didn't really change much, he just ran out of gas a little farther down the road. Miss you, Ray.

Mikeinjersey

I need to carry more fuel. I didn't expect great gas mileage from my 2007 K9 but I need to get more distance from a tank of gas. With my stock tank my range is about 100 miles. Solutions?
I have the same bike (Carbed) and get 30 mpg give or take. I rarely ride on the highway and most of the time I'm between 2 and 3500 rpm. I get on it occasionally for the rush but not enough to effect the mpg.
If you're Carbed try the S&S adj procedure and see if your mileage/performance improves. Get the extra fuel bottle that Mick uses so you can extend your ride without fear of getting stranded.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
Where did you get your fuel bottle? I have thought about getting one, but have read mixed reviews. Mostly that the bottles leak. Any issues with this?
I got it from Throttle Addiction. I have not had it leak yet. I keep it upright in my bag and tied in to keep it from falling over. Also my tool roll is in there and helps keep it in place. I have only needed it once. But better safe than sorry.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Both my K-9's when I am running down the road and not just in traffic around town will get 42mph or better.
My EFI bike will get 50 if I run non-ethanol
Carb bike does better on non-ethanol as well.

Both my bikes are mostly stock -- different intake on the carb bike and both with V&H big radius.
My first K-9 also got 42mpg as well (another efi bike)