In and out of gear while in 3rd.

Energy One

chopsteak

ok folks. Original problem I was experiencing was going to third gear. The slightest roll of the throttle it would load and unload in and out of gear. Shift forks were done, pretty bad shape probably from when the double bearing failed originally and just didnt catch the wear on the forks. ordered new ones and also found that the shift fork rod was very slightly bent. Not good. While I'm in there I wanted to go ahead and change 3rd gear main shaft and 2nd gear main shaft. The side teeth are in tact but very slightly rounded but i can still see the mill marks on them. I'm wondering if i even need to change them or would I be creating another can of worms by not. I probably will just in case. Does anyone here know if they are available anywhere else other than Baker? Baker's price is $ 80.00 for the 3rd gear M/S and $120.00 for the 2nd gear M/S.There is a B order for the 3rd main shaft gear, shifter pawl, and Primary inspection cover. Thanks fellers....

archangel1usa

The real fix

I have a 2005 Big Dog Ridgeback. I have been plagued with the same problem as you for years. Pops out of 3rd with throttle. I have had so many replacement parts in that damn thing that I could have bought 2 transmissions. 5 mechanics, 3 rebuilds looking for the problem. This includes a Daytona Based "Speed Shop" that holds 42 records with their builds. Baker techs are no help. They just tell you that the tranny was only designed for 90 hp. Read that as thousands of dollars wasted on conventional mechanics and bull....! :bang:

Finally...I took it to R&D Transmissions in Clearwater, FL. Mark, the owner is a transmission GURU that takes care of the racing circuit transmissions. He is a machinist...not a mechanic. He has had so many requests to fix the Baker 6 speed RSD trannny that he actually found, designed, developed, engineered a complete fix to overcome Bakers horrible design problem.

There are several things to do in order to make it a reliable hard working tranny. One of the most important things is the angle of engagement on the lock up lugs. They must be back cut and hardened to really work correctly. Bakers angles are totally wrong and need correcting.

After Mark's exceptional work, my tranny is total kick ass and ready for mucho horsepower. I like to ride hard...now I can. :up:
If I bought a brand new tranny from Baker today, my first stop would be to Mark to put his engineering expertise to work for me.

I recommend him for all baker tranny problems.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
thank you for going into more detail here than you did in your other post. another maintenance source is always a good thing. Andrew, bigdogtech01, has helped many on here with his rebuilds and, as far as I know, has had no complaints.

bigdogtech01

From Baker, the Dogs are back cut and the gears are hardened...so not sure what you are paying for, but sounds like a good scam :loony: The problem with these is bearings, not gears. On certain years the main shaft was a problem, but not anymore. There are several members on here that are putting out near 130hp and they have not a problem, so....
The real question is, how much did they charge for this "fix" I'm sure a lot more than $385 that I charge :D

Who is this person anyway.
Joined in 2005 and has posted 5 times.
I run a 124 putting out 130 horsepower and my stock BD Baker trans is still going strong.
And when it does go down it will go to Andrew in New York not some guy in Florida.

bigdogtech01

On another note, that "Speed shop" you mentioned, I can tell you we have a member here that took his bike to them for a slipping clutch, ended up spending thousands of $$ because they messed the bike all up, and the bike is still not fixed. So just because someone is in a magazine for being able to ride/drive fast, does not necessarily mean they are good at diagnosing and repairing a problem.

francoblay1

The Spaniard
On another note, that "Speed shop" you mentioned, I can tell you we have a member here that took his bike to them for a slipping clutch, ended up spending thousands of $$ because they messed the bike all up, and the bike is still not fixed. So just because someone is in a magazine for being able to ride/drive fast, does not necessarily mean they are good at diagnosing and repairing a problem.
Yup! I remember reading that case! not good!!!!! :loony:

bigdogtech01

I`m going with Andrew on anything to do with Baker Trannys. He did a awesome job on my bike.
Thank you sir :cheers:

Some people would rather just spend more money to hear what they want...anyone can claim to do something that is better than another, but when it comes down to it, who is really doing the work and who is not? I can tell you, I personally have rebuilt over a thousand of the DSSC's since 2006. Not one has had a gear problem after. Before the rebuilds, the only gear problems I have seen were from something else failing. Mostly the older main shafts failing causing the gears to offset. And a couple retaining clip failures. But I can tell you, ANY transmission, no matter what kind of gears are in it, if the same situation happened within, they would all have possible gear damage.
So leave it to the experts that actually know what they are doing, like myself and Baker...Not a machine shop making up false claims.
That's my .02 cents :cheers:

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
The "SPEED SHOP" in Daytona would be Carl's "Former" BDM Dealer. I wouldnt take my lawn mower there for an oil change!:roll:

Iahcon

Last time I rode my 07 Mastiff the tranny was popping in and out in third gear. I parked it and haven't rode for fear of further damage.
I was thinking of doing an open up and looking for something obvious.
bigdogtech01 can I get a recommendation from you on what to do? Is there something that I could look for or do you think it will need some serious work and parts?
Advice from anyone else is certainly appreciated!
Thanks for your help and Ride On!!

TapioK

Last time I rode my 07 Mastiff the tranny was popping in and out in third gear. I parked it and haven't rode for fear of further damage.
I was thinking of doing an open up and looking for something obvious.
bigdogtech01 can I get a recommendation from you on what to do? Is there something that I could look for or do you think it will need some serious work and parts?
Advice from anyone else is certainly appreciated!
Thanks for your help and Ride On!!
Take it off, send it to Curtis or Baker to be fixed! They upgrade the parts and bearings for about 500 or so.

Tapio