How To install your carb

Energy One
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
"How To" Install your carb (my after XXX)

As a continuation of the "How To" remove your carb I will walk us thru how to bolt back up your carb. Or in my case put my newly XXX'ed carb back on the bike.

Here is my newly XXX'ed carb. ISN'T SHE PRETTY!!

Last edited:

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant

Now if you have the XXX like me. You'll have to re-install your throttle cable bracket as shown here.

Remember your return cable or the one with the spring on it goes in the tall side.

Now put the ends in the appropriate holes on the linkage.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Now lube your cables. I do this at least 4 times in each cable. This ensure alot of good lube in the cable sheething and promotes long cable life.

Now mount the carb. Ensure you get the fiber gasket on the intake manifold before screwing this together. I slide the allen bolts thru the intake and use it to hold the gasket and then spin the first few threads on the top mount to hold the carb till you can get to the other side of the bike to finish the install.

Be sure to add a small dab of loctite on all your bolts and scews thru out this project.

Here you can see the gasket sitting there with the bolts handing in the hole.

As I said... mount the carb like so.

Spin the allens by hand with the 5/16" allen wrench.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Then get them good n tight with some cresent wrench assitance

Now install your gas line and drain line

In my situation I have the stock tear drop. So I will walk you thru this as it is on my bike.

Install your tear drop air cleaner backing plate.

Be sure to align the paper gasket between the backing plate and the carb. I use a bit of spray on sticky gasket material to keep the gasket in place.

Again be sure to use loctite on all these bolts and screws.

First put the spacers between the backing plate and the engine head. Then apply the first 1/2" hex bolts thru the washers, spacers, backing plate, and into the head. Leave it a bit loose cause we have to ensure proper alignment.

You will find that you'll need to slide the enricher knob up and then the lever under it to get to the rear head bolt hole.

Install like so.

Now proceed to install the screws that hold the backing plate to the carb. Ensuring the paper gasket is seated correctly.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Now tighten the 1/2" hex bolts and the screws to show this

Now to install the removed coil and cover.

The BDM manual says to remove the coil wires at the harness junction which I did not do. Why... I'm not sure. Maybe because they are further under the tank. Would I have pursued that doing it over again? Yes. Cause re-installing it was difficult. Not impossible but dealing with the small wires and no extra length to aid you.

When doing this please ensure that your battery is STILL disconnected.

I used a bit of di-electric gel on these connections.

Now install the little wires as such

Front of the bike -- yel/red/blue -- Rear of the bike

Also be sure to plug in your ignition harness.

Then flip your coil and cover over and install the center motor mount 5/16" allen bolt first. This will allow you to finally free up your hands from holding the cover.

Then loosely install your other 2 - 5/16" allen bolts.

Hook up your spark plugs and this side is done.

At this point I have lubed the throttle cable a few more times during the process. The gas tank petcock is still off and there for the carb is still dry.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
I am now going to adjust the throttle cables and check for freeplay and good throttle movement. Doing this by tightening the connections below the throttle grip and twisting the grip to ensure the butterfly of the carb opens and returns along with the grip returning to fully closed.

Once that is established turn the petcock to on. You should hear the gas bubble down into the carb and then the bowl float click and turn the gas stream off into the carb.

Now give the throttle a few twists to ensure you are getting gas thru the needle or in my case the fuel atomized needle!

Then I like to start the bike before installing the air filter and tear drop cover.

Once the bike is running and you know all is well install your air filter and tear drop cover with the 5/32" allen screws.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Then when that is complete. You'll end up with this nice piece of engineering and bling.

chucktx

that xxx carb sure is nice looking...and i hear they work really good also..
your camera takes great pics!!! thanks
chuck

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Lifetime Supporting Member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Supporting Member
Awesome write-up and tech tip. Thanks Gas Man.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Thanks Chuck. Its only a 3.2 mega pixel but I take about a bizzilion pics and weed thru the blurry and wierd flash pics. But I have sense then installed a additional 4 shop lights in the garage. Now sporting 7 shop lights in my 2 car garage. Each one lighting up 80 watts of light. I have 3 over just the lift now!!! That should help too!

BH... thanks. I haev been waiting, as instructed, to post these.

choppersforlife

CHOPPERSFORLIFE
Hello again everyone. I have a question that "GASMAN" might be able to answer:

Purchased a "XXX Super G CARB" for my 04 Ridgeback. Installed the Carb and all went well. Took her out for a 30 min. ride just to make sure all was well. She ran FANTASTIC.

This was two days ago (Friday). I have always left the petcock on the gastank "on" and never had a problem before until this morning when I went to go out for a ride.

There was atleast 2 gallons of gasoline on my garage floor, dripping out of the air cleaner. Removed the air cleaner and when I looked into the carb it was full of raw fuel.

Whats Up ? Did the float stick? It is a brand new XXX Carb.

I dried up all the fuel inside the carb and pulled her outside and fired her up. She was definately flooded and after a minute or so, she fired right up and ran fine.

Before I go and scream at XXX Carb's, Did I dosomething wrong or was it just a fluke? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again and Ride safe

choppersforlife \\\!///

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Definately a stuck float. Might want to drop off the bowl and clean it up. Either, there is some chrome dust or dirt from the tank. Consider installing a Pingle fuel filter too.

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
CFL, I would say your float stuck. When you say its a brand new carb it really isn't. They are rebuilt from exchanges and such. I would drop the float bowl and blow out the float stopper and make sure it seals properly. An easy fix.

Later,
Ray

choppersforlife

CHOPPERSFORLIFE
Thank you

Thanks for the quick replies, You guys are the BEST:cheers:

I appreciate it. I will drop the bowl and take a look and clean it up a bit.

Have a great week, ride safe and Thank you again.

Tony

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
CFL... this is my reply to your PM. I couldn't send it to you cause you have PM's turned off. Change that in your UserCP and options. You have to allow PMs from members.

No problem man. The thanks for the help makes all the "how to" posts worth it.

You definately had a stuck float. Drop the bowl and clean it all out with brake clean. Also check the fuel coming out of the fuel line... check it into clean clear glass jar. Check for dirt. I found a CRAP load of sand coming from my big dog gas tank. Probably from the factory.

I suggest installing a Pingle fuel filter. See this thread!

The K&N is ok as long as it don't get too hot. Either way it won't hurt anything for sure!

But unless the spring binds up on the float valve you got dirt in it. Now if the dirt came from the XXX chroming process or your tank. The Pingle filter will eliminate that from the problem. Call Vickie she can get your the connectors and the Pingle.

Last edited:

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Yeah that should be a given Ray. I use mine all the time. Maybe not when going in and out of stores but at least everytime if parks in the garage at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.