How To install Garage Door Opener on Dog

Energy One
Status
Not open for further replies.

CURDOG

I looked a while back and didn't see this on the How-To threads so I thought I'd post. Like many of you I would just carry my garage door opener in my pocket when I rode and I was always fumbling for it when I got home. :rant: I had read about others installing their opener on their bike and liked the idea so here's how I did mine.

Here's what I used on the job.

Clockwise from bottom left:automotive speaker wire, needle nose, solder, soldering iron, snips, push button switch, double side tape, liquid tape, and in the center an extra garage door opener.

Got the switch from Radio Shack for a couple of bucks. Get a normally open (NO) switch.

Open the case. Notice the button location on the left center of the circuit board. There are a dozen different opener brands but they all work similarly and have some type of small button inside.

Here's a close-up shot of the button for mine.

Then, turn the board over and locate the soldered contacts for the push button. Short them together to be sure which two they are. It should trigger the door when you short the correct contacts.

Strip back 1/16" of insulation on both conductors of a piece of speaker wire about 24" and solder them to the two contacts with a pencil style soldering iron.

Cut a small slot in the door opener case for the wire to exit and route the wire to the slot, snap the case back together and silicone the hole to keep moisture out. Here's what mine looked like.

At this point, you should locate your preferred mounting location for the opener and the switch so you'll know how long to cut the wires. I applied velcro and stuck my opener to the side of the EHC and mounted the switch next to the seat bracket where it could be pressed easily if you know it's there, but yet out of sight.

Next you'll need a mount for the push button. Something metal that you can shape easily to fit into the location of your choice. I cut an oval out of an old license plate and painted it candy red to match my bike. Painting is certainly optional since you most likely won't be able to see it anyway. Here's mine with a 3/8" hole drilled to accept the switch.

Switch mounted

Now, strip 1/4" of insulation from both conductors and solder them to the push button. I painted the ends with liquid tape to insulate it from possibly grounding against the bike. Here's the end result.

You should now have a garage door opener wired out with a remote switch on a metal tab.

Now, just velcro the opener to your predetermined location.

Clean off the mounting location for the push button with some alcohol, put some double side tape on the push button mount, peel off the back side of the tape and press into place.

When finished, you can't see the switch unless you look from under the bike and know where to look. This shot is taken from the right side of my bike looking up from the exhaust pipe.

This is about a two hour project, nothing real technical, but I really like the convenience of having the door opener at the touch of a finger when I get home. :2thumbs:

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
I started to do this on my bike last year.

Consider checking to see what voltage your remote runs on. I know mine runs on 12v so I short circuited the button to always closed circuit. Then use the 12 volts from the bike to juice the circuit and activate the the opener.

pig pen

I started to do this on my bike last year.

Consider checking to see what voltage your remote runs on. I know mine runs on 12v so I short circuited the button to always closed circuit. Then use the 12 volts from the bike to juice the circuit and activate the the opener.
Good idea are you using your horn or your high beam for the 12v

RRRUFF

I read somewhere I think on the other forum that someone had wire a remote in with the highbeam on the headlight and located it in the headlight housing. So then you just hit the high beam when you get to your garage and the door would open.

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
I would be careful with that HD system that is wired into the controls due to the 5 volt wiring system used on our BD and interference with the EHC.

I think I will do this little project on my Chopper now that CURDOG has shown me how easy it is.

:cheers:

RRRUFF

Yea I agree! What ever you do you need to stay on the 12volt side of the EHC. These things are fickle enough.

CURDOG

Thanks for the feedback guys. My opener runs on the small 3V battery so there was no reason to try to wire it into the BD wiring harness. And, with the small push button it is out of the way and takes up no real usable space so it's almost as convenient as the horn or high beam button.

Also, if you put your hand under that area of your bike you'll see that it doesn't get all that warm as long as you stay away from the engine. I usually wear riding gloves anyway. I've had mine on for about a month with absolutely no problem or issue. Try it! :up:

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Good idea are you using your horn or your high beam for the 12v
I did but the horn doesn't seem to work that way. I think the horn uses a double positive or something...

I already had the remote all wired up and it worked. I tried to wire it WITH the horn, so the horn would honk and it would open... but the horn drew too much juice. Then I tried no horn and it wouldn't work... wierd. I never went back to it.

beast30

Curdog very nice How-To :cheers: Like Curdog just remember if your going to install the switch on the bike make sure its on the right side.....so you can keep your hand on the clutch without having to drop in neutral.....can't get my dog into neutral with it running.

My garage remote that I use for when I'm on bike is only the size of a key fob (like a car remote). And when ever I put it in my pocket in always put it in my right pocket....otherwise I look like I'm having a seizure trying to get it out of left pocket. :bang:

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Lifetime Supporting Member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Supporting Member
Great idea. I've seen guys wire them up to activate with the high beams, but like someone said, I'd be worried with how sensitive our electronics are. Curdog, your idea ROCKS!!!

Much easier to install vice stuffing a remote into a head light bucket. :2thumbs:

scubaman15

Look I don't want to take anything away from a great how 2 .....BUT hears the fix for this shit .. 1 it fits in your pocket 2 if you have multi bikes as many of us do ... the lucky ones:hi: sorry baby Ray ....I love this and you can get it at Lowes for about 20 bucks or if your a cheep bastard like me you get them to throw it in when you buy the opener I LOVE THIS MF as I'm coming down the street at who knows what time "sorry for all you married MF LOL " you just hit the FLOB thats hanging out of you pocket like your dick cause you did not score tonight LOL :lol: and presto the door opens and you did not fuck up your EHC in the process. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :hi: :job: and the people who live close only curse you for a short time .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
I'll be doing a complete How-To for a home made garage door interface wired in with the Wire-Plus Module and controlled with the Low Beam button on the hand controls. About a $5 install! Coming this week in a new thread.

gearsmithy

Then I tried no horn and it wouldn't work... wierd. I never went back to it.
The horn might be grounded to the frame which would necessitate a dedicated ground from the opener. If you didn't have the opener grounded that might explain why it didn't work.

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
I did but the horn doesn't seem to work that way. I think the horn uses a double positive or something...

I already had the remote all wired up and it worked. I tried to wire it WITH the horn, so the horn would honk and it would open... but the horn drew too much juice. Then I tried no horn and it wouldn't work... wierd. I never went back to it.

Have to use a relay... like this:

Status
Not open for further replies.