Gearbox Stud Removal

Gordo

Good day to all,
Does anybody out there have any experience removing any of the 3/8" mounting studs on the 6-speed gearbox, I'm doing a mod to my '03 Dog and
it requires modifying one of the studs for a clearance issue. I could probably modify the stud in place, but I'd be able to do a much better job if I can
get it completely out, I tried using 2-nuts bound tightly to back it out, but it wouldn't budge. I'm afraid to put too much ass on it for fear of snapping
it, thanks. I wonder if it's left-hand threaded into the case............

Good day to all,
Does anybody out there have any experience removing any of the 3/8" mounting studs on the 6-speed gearbox, I'm doing a mod to my '03 Dog and
it requires modifying one of the studs for a clearance issue. I could probably modify the stud in place, but I'd be able to do a much better job if I can
get it completely out, I tried using 2-nuts bound tightly to back it out, but it wouldn't budge. I'm afraid to put too much ass on it for fear of snapping
it, thanks. I wonder if it's left-hand threaded into the case............
Are you referring to the studs that mount the transmission to the frame ?
If I remember correctly they are hard mounted to the case. I could be wrong though

Mr. Wright

Guru
Supporting Member
It's been many many years ago, that someone else was trying to do this. I think he had to cut it with a Dremel cut off blade, while on the bike.

Gordo

I got a response from Steve at Baker drive train, he recommended heating the stud to loosen up the adhesive that holds it in place. I tried that, and ended up splitting the stud (The steel is very low-grade and soft). I don't know what they used to glue the studs in but it is extremely "permanent". So now, I'm down to using Dremel carbides to clear as much of the remaining stud out so that I can bottom-tap the hole. The reason for all of this is I'm installing an SAS-99 air ride system and the stud closest to the trap door interferes with the actuator, so I'm replacing the stud with a low-head shoulder bolt to secure the gear case at that stud point.