Front Fork

Energy One

noobie

I have a question to fellow K-9 riders.

When you stop does your front fork compress about 2-3 inches and just stay compressed? On my bike the fork will not rebound completely in fact I can hold the front brake and pull back on the handlebars and get the fork to move a good way.

I have never had a chopper style bike so I don’t know if this is normal or if I should install stiffer springs in the fork. I weigh about 280 so I don’t know if that is within the weight setup of an OEM bike.

Thanks for any suggestions

Pat

Redflames02

Do you see any folk oil running down the tubes? If you do you probably have to replace springs or have a busted seal.

John

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
I have a question to fellow K-9 riders.

When you stop does your front fork compress about 2-3 inches and just stay compressed? On my bike the fork will not rebound completely in fact I can hold the front brake and pull back on the handlebars and get the fork to move a good way.

I have never had a chopper style bike so I don’t know if this is normal or if I should install stiffer springs in the fork. I weigh about 280 so I don’t know if that is within the weight setup of an OEM bike.

Thanks for any suggestions

Pat
Welcome to the site. You are a big boy so maybe it's just your weight. Mine does stick though after it hasn't been serviced in a while. Whether it's the oil getting dirty, less amount from leakage or something else it may be time to have it serviced.

You didn't mention how old your bike is, how many miles it has on it, when the last time it was serviced or if your past the serviced date.
Open ended questions leave lots for speculation!!!

Welcome again,
Ray

noobie

The bike is less than 2 months old and has about 200 miles on it. There is no oil leaking from the fork and it doesn't appear to be failing in any way it just stays compressed (about 2 inches) when I stop.

1mndg

RIDE IT HARD!!!
My Chopper does the same thing from time to time. Don't think it's a problem but going to rip it apart and check it out anyway. Time to change the oil!!!

Rottie

My 07 K-9 has always done it from day one! I don't think it is unusual! My 06 chopper did it also. I weigh about 220.

ChopperJeff

My '05 Chopper does the same thing. It stopped doing it right after I replaced the fork seals and oil, but then after a couple weeks it started doing it again.

HOOLIGAN

SICK BOY
My '03 chopper does the same thing. I replaced the sealsand springs last year. It still does it. The bike rides and handles great so i've chalked this up to, just the way is. I weigh about 265-270lbs, maybe it's caused 'cause we're fat? HAHA

Redflames02

My Pitbill doesn't do that. I weight about 215. Maybe it is a problem common with the choppers because of the long fork. Anyway your front fork travel is not working properly if you can move it easy.
My HD had that problem changed springs and seals problem solved.
That is surely a problem that has to be brought to the dealers attention. You don't want to have a twisted fork and have to replace it.

John

Last edited:

Chris04Masitff

Calendar Participant
hey isnt there something i read on here about holding the forks together when tightening axle pinch bolts? when i changed my front tire first time i had that same situation . loosened pinch bolts on right side fork allowing fork to rest in its position and then tightened pinch bolts. havent had a problem since... just my 2 cents

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
hey isnt there something i read on here about holding the forks together when tightening axle pinch bolts? when i changed my front tire first time i had that same situation . loosened pinch bolts on right side fork allowing fork to rest in its position and then tightened pinch bolts. havent had a problem since... just my 2 cents
Chris, I would ensure there is no slack on the axle now. You need to pull the forks in or your wheel will walk on your axle.
This was changed in 05 with a new design but on my 03 and I would guess your 04 you need to ensure there is no slack or that the forks are butted up against the spacers.

:cheers:

Chris04Masitff

Calendar Participant
thanks Ray . no slack .i appreciate it .when i pulled the forks tight together i would get binding in fork travel. with the way the axle is cut the stub(?) end is against the spacer.

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
Both my bikes have done it. I just replaced the chrome lowers with polished ones on my bike and installed new seals and oil. Still does it and I am only 175 lbs.

mrthick71

I have an '07' Mastiff that does the same thing. I had it checked at the 5k and 10k service. The tech said it was something that some bikes do and some bikes don't do.

Tom Chop

I have one for you; sometimes my K9`s forks stick and at others they do not stick. What`s up? I cannot come up with a valid explanation other than the possibly that extra length tubes cause more side loading resulting in the condition described by everyone.
Just my two cents worth even though it seemed kind of long winded.

Take Care
Tom Chop

Brew

Troop Supporter
How often have you washed the bike? Sometimes trapped water rusts up under the dust caps and this causes sticking...Just saying, it happend to me!