Fluid change intervals

SCC007

Supporting Member
I generally change fluids annually regardless if it has fewer miles then per oil manufacturers specs (I didnt put many miles on) I know it is a bit over kill but clean oil is good oil and I would rather spend a little more money on fluids and less on internal wear...cheap insurance.

Mineral based oils in motorcycles are recommended to be changed every 2000 to 3000 miles. Synthetic blends can go to 5000 in motorcycles. I change all 3 at the same time. I do not use any synthetic fluids in my BigDogs.

awg

They say you can go longer without a oil change because of the newer oils that last more miles. But what about the oil filter? Are they made to go the distance to?

SCC007

Supporting Member
While some of the new ones say they can I recommend change. Actually if you look into the long mile change intervals (like amsoil) for diesel you change the filter before the oil...not the same as our bikes. I change mine with oil change regardless and use a quality filter.

Sven

At 36 thousand miles, car comes in with noise? Pop the valve cover off, I was looking at light sweet crude, like heroin converts back to the plant it came from.

So if you believe carbon is like a diamond, if you believe in solid liquid gas and apply that to oil, then you have a hot liquid carbon about to turn into a solid, on the top of the piston dome, to moving past the rings, down the crankcase, harden up, float the boat as it cuts into whatever moving metal slides over that carbon deposit and slowly wears the engine down. Make the oil last longer, go head, ain't my bike.

High Maintenance Intervals:
Oil/Filter: Every 3 thousand miles - Log should show the average is under 2700 miles, just to throw out a number.
Trans/Primary: Every 3K - So it's all 3 at the same time. Shows the magnets saying at this interval, the x-ray if you will.
Brake Fluid: Every 2 years.
Air Cleaner: Every 12k or sooner is replace, not blowout and use again. Wash type does not apply.
Coolant/Res: Every 2yrs - If applies.
Hardware check: When the oil is dripping [at the 3k interval], grab required hand tools and just check for tightness, not move the hardware more. You'll know loose when you fell it.
Pivot Lube: When changing fluid or cut the interval in half. This is spray lube [or remove] the passenger pegs, remove levers, brake pedal, and lube with anti-seize, grease, anything but metal to metal contact.
Front Steering Bearing Repack: Every 7,500 miles.
Swing Arm Lube: Every 10k or sooner if the ocean/salt is in that type of environment. 15-20k if normal environment.
Change tires as a set: No matter how new like the front looks.

What did I miss?

Signed,
NOLTT

I can’t remember who told me about this oil filter. I have them on both BigDogs. Very easy to clean & bang brand new filter but better. I felt it was a great investment for my motors. 17867B11-2B02-4916-A119-CCF693B00861.jpeg

awg

At 36 thousand miles, car comes in with noise? Pop the valve cover off, I was looking at light sweet crude, like heroin converts back to the plant it came from.

So if you believe carbon is like a diamond, if you believe in solid liquid gas and apply that to oil, then you have a hot liquid carbon about to turn into a solid, on the top of the piston dome, to moving past the rings, down the crankcase, harden up, float the boat as it cuts into whatever moving metal slides over that carbon deposit and slowly wears the engine down. Make the oil last longer, go head, ain't my bike.

High Maintenance Intervals:
Oil/Filter: Every 3 thousand miles - Log should show the average is under 2700 miles, just to throw out a number.
Trans/Primary: Every 3K - So it's all 3 at the same time. Shows the magnets saying at this interval, the x-ray if you will.
Brake Fluid: Every 2 years.
Air Cleaner: Every 12k or sooner is replace, not blowout and use again. Wash type does not apply.
Coolant/Res: Every 2yrs - If applies.
Hardware check: When the oil is dripping [at the 3k interval], grab required hand tools and just check for tightness, not move the hardware more. You'll know loose when you fell it.
Pivot Lube: When changing fluid or cut the interval in half. This is spray lube [or remove] the passenger pegs, remove levers, brake pedal, and lube with anti-seize, grease, anything but metal to metal contact.
Front Steering Bearing Repack: Every 7,500 miles.
Swing Arm Lube: Every 10k or sooner if the ocean/salt is in that type of environment. 15-20k if normal environment.
Change tires as a set: No matter how new like the front looks.

What did I miss?

Signed,
NOLTT
Man, I bet most people don't do all that. I know I'm one of them.

Jersey James

Jersey James
Been riding for 52 years, own five bikes all S&S powered. I drop my oil every 1,000 miles. I purchase my Mobil One by the case, same with the K&N filters (all use the same filters). I change the spark plugs out every other oil change. I always drain the crankcase plug, a little common sense, no problems ever. My cost per oil change (no plugs) is less than fifty bucks. Cheap assurance in my book.

Sven

What I forgot:

Chain Lube: Every 300 miles < High maintenance. 500 miles max [if applies].
Fork Oil: Change both when one leaks. How some manuals are read:
a. Owner's manual service interval reads, 'check for leaks.' Does not say to change it per mileage or year.
b. Shop manual has a service chapter. Forks are read the same as in the Owner's manual and that is to check for leaks.
c. Shop manual has a front end chapter. This is how to disassemble the fork, special tools needed, fork level on assembly.

This is like looking at the rear shock that is non-serviceable. The oil can stay there as long as the rear shock's oil. Probable the same shit fore and aft for all I know?

Mikeinjersey

Hello all.
Simple question. How many miles and/or months do you go between fluid changes?
With today's technology fluids are going thousands of miles, but what about time?
Heat is the enemy of oil and since you are from Florida overall your motor is exposed to higher temps more often. I would recommend you change yours more frequently than the factory recommendation.