Exhaust broke

08mastiff

I have the big radius Vance and Hines 2 to 2 and as you can tell by the pics the exhaust broke. I tried calling the company for a replacement but no one answered so I left a message. Anyone know another route for me to get a replacement pipe for the rear jug with a bunghole? I don't need the shields or baffle. 2008 Mastiff EFI.

Thanks,
John

Attachments

mleach72

Yeah, me too. My guess is someone tightened the rear mounting bolts before the flange bolts, putting stress on the pipe.

mleach72

You may want to check and make sure your top motor mount bolt isn't missing. It's pretty common for them to come loose and fall out. That could cause stress on the pipes.

HMAN

Just like to ride
Supporting Member
My MLB's kept breaking till a drag racing buddy said to let em free float. No exhaust bracket. Been good for 4-5 yrs. Just a thought.

knothead

RIGID4LIFE
Supporting Member
You can get it welded up for now but you need to find some other exhaust....reason i say this is cause they have been hot and cold so many time that the properties of the metal is fatigued....once they start breaking it wont stop....it will crack beside the weld and do it again....now with that being said if you can find another exhaust pipe that is damaged or whatever you can cut the exhaust 4 or 5 inches further down the exhaust and replace the upper section and it should be fine for several years if you decided to go that route

08mastiff

Thanks guys. Lucky for me I work in a refinery with some very good welders daily. The metal is thin but I was going to bring it to work this week and hopefully they can tig it back together. Don't care what it looks like because they will be covered with the chrome shields.... maybe it's time to upgrade to a different style. Bike and exhaust currently have 30k miles on it. I appreciate all the feedback.

Jersey Big Mike

Thanks guys. Lucky for me I work in a refinery with some very good welders daily. The metal is thin but I was going to bring it to work this week and hopefully they can tig it back together. Don't care what it looks like because they will be covered with the chrome shields.... maybe it's time to upgrade to a different style. Bike and exhaust currently have 30k miles on it. I appreciate all the feedback.
Did you or the previous own have the pipes wrapped (can see the marks left from it.)
If a wrap is done badly, it can create HOT spots on the pipes that will weaken them and could have contributed to their premature demise.

08mastiff

I bought it with 4k miles on it 10 yrs ago. That section was wrapped from the exhaust port half way down the pipe to protect the battery cover from heat because the paint has a bubble under it when i boyght it in 2010. I had these pipes off several times over the years to do work on the bike. The wrap job on the pipe was good. This split under the wrap.