Clutch kit need help

MIKE71446

Has anyone been able to find a clutch kit other than Baker that fit their bike mine is a 08 k9 and any info would be greatly appreciated

Dakota

If looking to replace your clutch as Dent said, quite a few on here have put in a Bandit. You do have to remove a little metal from the outer primary to get it to fit over the new basket. I have one sitting on the shelf that I have not got around to installing.

upload_2018-6-9_7-2-2.png

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
If looking to replace your clutch as Dent said, quite a few on here have put in a Bandit. You do have to remove a little metal from the outer primary to get it to fit over the new basket. I have one sitting on the shelf that I have not got around to installing.

View attachment 58075
I've installed 2 of these, one on each of my 2008 K-9's and never had to remove any metal, I think that was only older models.
Been happy in both cases.

Dakota

I've installed 2 of these, one on each of my 2008 K-9's and never had to remove any metal, I think that was only older models.
Been happy in both cases.
Mike you made me dig out the instillation instructions and we both may be right. Step 15 of the install says " Check the outer cover for clearance over the pressure plate. ( This is right at the angle on the pressure plate where the six flex loc nuts are.) It will need to be filed or ground down. A good way to check is to put clay on the raised bar in the primary. With the cover on the bike pull the clutch lever in. Then take off and see if there is .050 clearance or more." So I guess some may have the clearance some not.

Last edited:

Sven

"any info would be greatly appreciated"

Theory:
1. Place both hands together as if praying to the Mighty N. Press those fingers against each other. Look at your clutch plates and find a 'cut' edge to the plate, as if stamped out from a sheet of steel and the process left this sharp edge on one side of the plate.
2. Place one hand over the other. Press those fingers over the other. Look at how the plate has 'memory.' Did the fingers move together? It's as if you placed all the plates in one direction.
3. Place all 'cut' steels facing the pressure plate. Place all fiber plates in the same direction (IF) the pads are square and do not have a spiral pad showing fling direction. So for pad design, follow the fling. If square pads, find the cut side of the plate.
4. Place foot under shifter and find N [like butter].

MIKE71446

What do you mean by clutch kit? Are you looking to replace the clutch?
A clutch kit - performance fibers and steels like kevalar or something to that effect or just fibers I noticed that the Baker clutch kit for a bdm is labeled Harley anyone know which one

MIKE71446

View attachment 58075
I will definitely consider this clutch but I just hate to spend the money and it not fix my problem that's why I was looking for aftermarket fibers and steels just to try and see if problem gos away I remember you could go down to local shop and get a set of each for like 80-90$

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I will definitely consider this clutch but I just hate to spend the money and it not fix my problem that's why I was looking for aftermarket fibers and steels just to try and see if problem gos away I remember you could go down to local shop and get a set of each for like 80-90$
Hey, I just realized, I replaced my clutch when I thought I had an issue -- used a Bandit, but I still have all the clutch plates from the old one, probably around 20k miles maybe 25k. Be happy to send them to you for the shipping.

Just to back up -- what makes you believe you need the clutch pak? And do you need anything else?

MIKE71446

Hey, I just realized, I replaced my clutch when I thought I had an issue -- used a Bandit, but I still have all the clutch plates from the old one, probably around 20k miles maybe 25k. Be happy to send them to you for the shipping.

Just to back up -- what makes you believe you need the clutch pak? And do you need anything else?
When I got the bike it was kinda hard to get neutral and noticed it getting worse well then I noticed it started lundging at stop lights after bike was at operating temp I can adjust it per service manual and it's fine for a couple days then it starts all over again I pulled the primary and did all the measurements 1st one was out of spec so disassemble and measured and everything was in spec. So I'm gonna take it back apart and order a new updated pressure plate and a new spring and if I could find some cheap frictions and steels theat two

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
When I got the bike it was kinda hard to get neutral and noticed it getting worse well then I noticed it started lundging at stop lights after bike was at operating temp I can adjust it per service manual and it's fine for a couple days then it starts all over again I pulled the primary and did all the measurements 1st one was out of spec so disassemble and measured and everything was in spec. So I'm gonna take it back apart and order a new updated pressure plate and a new spring and if I could find some cheap frictions and steels theat two
Check the throwout bearing -- when my first one went that was the culprit -- kept having to adjust on the road to get home after 50-60 miles.
Also pull the whole clutch pack out and check the carrier closely -- there are upgraded carriers because some of the originals would crack.

Sheamus

I had to remove a little meat on my 05 Bulldog. not much though..... Nice clutch, I have 2 on my Dog's 05 chopper and 05 Bulldog.
You get to really use the power of the S&S 117 after you put one of these in. Bandit.JPG

MIKE71446

Check the throwout bearing -- when my first one went that was the culprit -- kept having to adjust on the road to get home after 50-60 miles.
Also pull the whole clutch pack out and check the carrier closely -- there are upgraded carriers because some of the originals would crack.
Throw out bearing was bad and I looked for any type of imperfections and cracks and didn't see anything Baker told me to due the upgraded pressure plate and should solve my issue

MIKE71446

Throw out bearing was bad and I looked for any type of imperfections and cracks and didn't see anything Baker told me to due the upgraded pressure plate and should solve my issue
I actually thought the bearing fixed it because it was good for like 3 days and then started doing same thing just without bearing noise now

MIKE71446

I am also in search of a rear wheel or a set of chrome wheels or somewhere who can rechrome them along with another clutch