can anyone tell me what year motor n tranny are on this 09 chopper

Energy One

hbevins

start out i bought 09 bigdog custom build chopper from kansas, my nephew went and got it for me...well thats what i was told. found out big dog phased out thier choppers in 07...the guy i got the bike from says a big dog employeee built this one for himself in 09...im thinking maybe ..it did come from kansas...maybe someone had a bad frame, i see were they had problems with some cracking,..maybe it was wrecked and frame got damaged i have no ideal. and just replaced frame with another. my frame is not original big dog the numbers on it start out 2rt..so is this considered rt frame? then my motor is 117 super stock seriel number ge04727x..another number says.made in usa 31-0024l...baker tranny number u2040l2..it does have sns rocker boxes. anyhow my ehc is starting act up and im not sure which one i need now because they asked for frame number n year of bike...everything on this bike is bigdog except the frame..im pretty sure the wheels are also. i would like to know for sure what i gothere...title says asve..to me it is a custom bigdog ..it would cost more to build a replica then u could buy one for. electronics starter handel bars foot controls hand controls seats struts sissy bar are all big dog but what year? also maybe a pic would help have an ideal on the wheels, so here is one and its i belive its thumbnail09 big dog.jpg newer one because the drive belt is on the right if your sittin on bike

aspen874

that doesn't look like an 09 to me, it appears to have a 250 tire and struts, also the wheels aren't correct. the bike looks like an 05 chopper. I'm sure someone who knows more than will chime in.

Definitely an 05 chopper from what I can tell, I believe the 05’s came with a 107” s&s so either they changed the motor?
Do you have any close up pics of the motor where it says 117?

mleach72

It's either an '05 or '06 chopper frame. With the rt in frame number, it's a pretty good bet that it's an rt frame. I could be wrong, but I don't think there would be that big of a difference on the frame from year to year to make a difference on the ehc. Maybe someone will chime in. The motor is an '06 production year. The vast majority of these had TP rockers, but if it was built by a BD employee, you may have a multi-year bike, kinda like that Johnny Cash song.

hbevins

Definitely an 05 chopper from what I can tell, I believe the 05’s came with a 107” s&s so either they changed the motor?
its only says 117 on coil cover motor mount it is titled as 09..could be 05 that had cracked frame?

hbevins

another member says he thinks motor is 06 model, says 117 on the coil cover mount bracket..i could take pic if it makes difference

mleach72

another member says he thinks motor is 06 model, says 117 on the coil cover mount bracket..i could take pic if it makes difference
The engine block is definitely a 4 1/8" bore made in the 2006 production year (Oct. 1, 2005-Sep. 30, 2006). The "G" in the engine code means 2006 production year. The "E" designates 4 1/8" bore Super Sidewinder Plus engine block. Combine that with the coil with 117" logo and the 117 being used in BDM's 05-11, and there is no reason to doubt that it's a 117".

mleach72

I'm not an expert, but since he built it himself in '09, he could have had it titled as an '09, even though it is mostly '05 or '06ish.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
OK, what you need to realize is the Year of the frame is not the year of the bike.

If you bought a new frame (with MSO) in 05, waiting and saved pennies, bought motor in 06 etc
You finally get the bike assembled in 09 -- The bike when registered in most states would be titled as an 09 -- as in the year it was first titled not when the parts were made.

BadCo

Except for the paint, looks like my '05 chopper except for the rocker boxes. And from what I have been told I have the DT frame.
I'm new to these bikes so that's all I can say.

1 B.M.F.

Mine is an 05 same right side drive,same wheels. 250 rear tire, 117 engine, looks same. 04 was left side drive with 107. I would agree built to look like 05 chopper but made in 09 so titled in 09. I would post a pix of your EHC and couple of pix of your electronic compartment your EHC should have numbers on it. I bought a o9 ehc and it was a little different from my 05. But it worked.

hbevins

Mine is an 05 same right side drive,same wheels. 250 rear tire, 117 engine, looks same. 04 was left side drive with 107. I would agree built to look like 05 chopper but made in 09 so titled in 09. I would post a pix of your EHC and couple of pix of your electronic compartment your EHC should have numbers on it. I bought a o9 ehc and it was a little different from my 05. But it worked.
i could post pics later..was thinking might be best just to send it to wild steed worxs have em check it..im sure its bad and maybe they could tell for sure which one i need by having old one thier...sounds like 06 motor..o5 wheels..09 frame..jhonny cash special lol...im learning the hard way but im learning..like old girlfriend..lotta hassle but sure fun to ride...might just cut my losses divorce it and start over...

aspen874

i could post pics later..was thinking might be best just to send it to wild steed worxs have em check it..im sure its bad and maybe they could tell for sure which one i need by having old one thier...sounds like 06 motor..o5 wheels..09 frame..jhonny cash special lol...im learning the hard way but im learning..like old girlfriend..lotta hassle but sure fun to ride...might just cut my losses divorce it and start over...
Everyone blames the EHC for almost every electrical issue. I would pull the EHC and send it Curtis at Wild Steed Worxs, He can verify if it's functioning properly. If it's still good, he can point you in the right direction to solve the issues. You actually have a unique bike, that looks like a 117 motor with a Baker primary, that's cool. You won't see many others like that.

hbevins

Everyone blames the EHC for almost every electrical issue. I would pull the EHC and send it Curtis at Wild Steed Worxs, He can verify if it's functioning properly. If it's still good, he can point you in the right direction to solve the issues. You actually have a unique bike, that looks like a 117 motor with a Baker primary, that's cool. You won't see many others like that.
well im pretty sure its the ehc because when it gets 50s or lower in temps the bike only has flashers no dash lights or nothing...walk away come back later after temps warm up it will start n run just fine. i just frustrated when i know the last owner knew about it and took me...i know he knew cause the horn wires were yanked out, with it hooked up sometimes it will blow when you try n crank it if its not ready to start. he never mentioned the tach had been unplugged..speedo worked but nothing else. he unplugged it because with it plugged in no neutral light oil light stayed on flasher worked but tach did not. i got worried oil pump wasnt working took tappet cover off and with bike running it was pumping good. anyhow i changed the tach board now everything works as it should even oil light. he sold it to me thinking oil pump was out. once i startted riding the drive belt was squeaky as hell..i read on here about a special spray i used it and the noise has been gone for hundreds of miles now. i built a 38 ply coupe took 2 years sold it and got the 09 for myself an 04 for my brother..so i guess the plus side is i paid cash ..no payments ..his bike is really nice well taken care of...mine some one elses problems..for a poor boy this is almost hard to say...hey it only takes money rite..lol...and this forum for all the info, its been great

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
You originally asked for motor and trans. It's the 117 with the Baker DSSC. It's an 05-07 Chopper RT/OLD BDM frame regardless of what the title says. OLD BDM copied the RT Frames and has no removable neck cups, as well as the seats & struts are identical for RT/ OLD BDM. You've got the 05-07 Sawblade wheels.

Last edited:

hbevins

You originally asked for motor and trans. It's the 117 with the Baker DSSC. It's an 05-07 Chopper RT/OLD BDM frame regardless of what the title says. OLD BDM copied the RT Frames and has no removable neck cups, as well as the seats & struts are identical for RT/ OLD BDM. You've got the 05-07 Sawblade wheels.
thank you...not sure what dssc stands for but people like you is what makes this a good place to ask questions