Cams... 585 vs. 600 vs Other

Energy One

zenBD

So... I finally (shouldn't say this/knock-on-wood) got my bike to a point where I'm not having any issues, so (naturally) now I have to change something. :whoop:
I really want some more power, but I don't want to go crazy just yet, so I'm thinking cam. I have been reading a lot of good stuff about the .585... seems like what the Dr. ordered. Anyone have any experience with both the .585 and the .600 or those vs. a non-S&S cam like a Crane or Headquarters... any notes on how they compare?

Really looking for more torque, but also just a better curve as well.

I'm running the super G, VH 2-2... otherwise stock. I do have the upgraded Thunderheart ignition sitting in a box which I'll install when I do the cam.

I'm really curious if anyone has tried multiple cams and has settled on one they like the most.

Thanks for the input :2thumbs:

BWG56

Guru
I have the .585 in mine but I don't think the TH ignition adds anything, but you will feel the difference with the cam. Matter of fact I am going to remove the TH and go back to the stock ignition. If your a Joe race kinda guy, maybe the TH could make a slight difference, but for my style riding I didn't see it.

francoblay1

The Spaniard
I do agree with Ker on the cam. The 585 has lots of Torque & goes Up on revs very Nice & Fast :2thumbs:

But... I do not agree with Ker on the Ignition... I did feel the difference... I do like the TH Programmable Ignition: you just need to play with the settings depending on what Altitude (Sea Level) you are, and make sure your Carb is well regulated.

1. http://www.bigdogbiker.com/forums/performance/52003-new-mods-success.html

2. http://www.bigdogbiker.com/forums/general/61510-i-am-back-road.html

Ker, why would you go back to stock on the IM?

:cheers:

zenBD

BWG56

Guru
I do agree with Ker on the cam. The 585 has lots of Torque & goes Up on revs very Nice & Fast :2thumbs:

But... I do not agree with Ker on the Ignition... I did feel the difference... I do like the TH Programmable Ignition: you just need to play with the settings depending on what Altitude (Sea Level) you are, and make sure your Carb is well regulated.

Ker, why would you go back to stock on the IM?

For those that are not familiar with the S&S IST ignition, it automatically creates a custom timing curve for your motor. This is based on the addition of an Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor, cylinder temperature sensor, knock (ping) sensor and replacement crank sensor. It can change your timing from 26-50 degrees per my tech but will only advance as far as the knock sensor allows. This should give you better performance and mileage. Another nice feature is that if you are stuck someplace where you cannot get premium fuel it will adjust your timing curve to compensate. What it cannot do is adjust your air/fuel ratio. So if your jetting is not right it may try to adjust itself into some kind of a performance reducing mode.

Another benefit is an improvement in MPG. Used to get about 26-28 mpg but after running a full tank through it I'm up to 39 mpg.

Franco,
This was copied from another post and my mpg went from 45 to 28-30 after putting in the TH. I just don't feel any difference with my style of riding, and the above mentioned as far as advancing or retarding the timing upon engine conditions is more important to me.:whoop:

francoblay1

The Spaniard
For those that are not familiar with the S&S IST ignition, it automatically creates a custom timing curve for your motor. This is based on the addition of an Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor, cylinder temperature sensor, knock (ping) sensor and replacement crank sensor. It can change your timing from 26-50 degrees per my tech but will only advance as far as the knock sensor allows. This should give you better performance and mileage. Another nice feature is that if you are stuck someplace where you cannot get premium fuel it will adjust your timing curve to compensate. What it cannot do is adjust your air/fuel ratio. So if your jetting is not right it may try to adjust itself into some kind of a performance reducing mode.

Another benefit is an improvement in MPG. Used to get about 26-28 mpg but after running a full tank through it I'm up to 39 mpg.

Franco,
This was copied from another post and my mpg went from 45 to 28-30 after putting in the TH. I just don't feel any difference with my style of riding, and the above mentioned as far as advancing or retarding the timing upon engine conditions is more important to me.:whoop:
Interesting for sure.... I don´t know my mpg... but I do know its shite.... I burn a full tank in a couple hours. I will e-mail you. :up:

FLCRO

I've got the .600, but did the necessary jug work. You will feel it, for sure. Huge difference.

I'd suggest the .585 though. A lot less hassle then taking the top end apart.

flcmcya

I recommend trying the ignition before you do the cam swap, you may like it as is.

I was very surprised how much more grunt was there , I was running a Triple x Carb and some better pipes.

I did throw the 585 in later though! :bang:

zenBD

I recommend trying the ignition before you do the cam swap, you may like it as is.

I was very surprised how much more grunt was there , I was running a Triple x Carb and some better pipes.

I did throw the 585 in later though! :bang:
What setting did you run the ignition on before the cam? Did you change the setting after the cam?

zenBD

Has anyone running the .585 felt like they suffered any reliability issues or caused any damage due to the swap?

Brew

Troop Supporter
Has anyone running the .585 felt like they suffered any reliability issues or caused any damage due to the swap?
I've had no issues here and like most installed programable ignition along with the cam...