Energy One

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
I hope you don’t think this is a new concept, idea, or change in our earthly possessions!

I bought a New Truck for about $35,000 and it’s only worth maybe $5,000. Same with my $30,000 boat which you can’t buy today for less than $75,000 but my boat is only worth $5,000. My house is probably worth a shit ton of money, but I probably can’t move into a house half its size for more money.

I hope you don’t think you can sell me your weed eater from Home Depot for what you bought it for. I certainly don’t believe I can sell a single item I’ve ever bought for the amount I paid but I wanted it and I have it. Sometimes I keep things and sometimes I throw stuff away. I once hauled a 1968 BSA frame, fenders, wheels to the curb and I’ll be willing to be somebody just took it and sold it for scrap metal to be recycled. I won’t even ride my BSA chopper because it shakes so much and only holds a gallon of fuel. I have so much female jewelry that I have no idea what it might be worth. But, to me, it’s not worth anything. I can’t think of many female items that are worth squat to me but to them. Oh boy, they like their stuff just like boys like their toys.

So, all items are worth what someone is willing to pay and that’s my 10 cent view (used to be two cents but the price went up with inflation). In my mind, I wouldn’t pay $35,000 for a chopper but if I really wanted to have it, then I’m willing to pay what you ask for. Life isn’t free but it can be a lot of fun and I think a lot of free things to do are fun too.

PS You couldn’t pay me enough money to get rid of my Big Dog Ridgeback.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
I hope you don’t think this is a new concept, idea, or change in our earthly possessions!

I bought a New Truck for about $35,000 and it’s only worth maybe $5,000. Same with my $30,000 boat which you can’t buy today for less than $75,000 but my boat is only worth $5,000. My house is probably worth a shit ton of money, but I probably can’t move into a house half its size for more money.

I hope you don’t think you can sell me your weed eater from Home Depot for what you bought it for. I certainly don’t believe I can sell a single item I’ve ever bought for the amount I paid but I wanted it and I have it. Sometimes I keep things and sometimes I throw stuff away. I once hauled a 1968 BSA frame, fenders, wheels to the curb and I’ll be willing to be somebody just took it and sold it for scrap metal to be recycled. I won’t even ride my BSA chopper because it shakes so much and only holds a gallon of fuel. I have so much female jewelry that I have no idea what it might be worth. But, to me, it’s not worth anything. I can’t think of many female items that are worth squat to me but to them. Oh boy, they like their stuff just like boys like their toys.

So, all items are worth what someone is willing to pay and that’s my 10 cent view (used to be two cents but the price went up with inflation). In my mind, I wouldn’t pay $35,000 for a chopper but if I really wanted to have it, then I’m willing to pay what you ask for. Life isn’t free but it can be a lot of fun and I think a lot of free things to do are fun too.
Nailed it!

Now you can't buy that same truck you bought 20 years ago for under 60k now so price has doubled and you'll be lucky to get 5k for it in 20 years from now.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
I’ve walked through some new construction homes and thought to myself that I can’t even get my master bedroom furniture in here! A normal size house costs so much money, I can’t figure out how kids do it.

TapioK

Well I was into serious bicycling years ago (90's) and I can tell you that's not cheap either -- I had/have a wheel that alone was over $500, my tires were 45 a piece -- granted not the same scale as the K-9 but not what most people think of as cheap when they think bicycle.
Shit, you should get a cheaper bicycle! One can find the whole bike for less than $100

TapioK

But not in every case, however, just look at the Jeep Wrangler, I've been looking to latch on to one in manual for a while now but the prices on 'good' used ones aren't that much less than if you buy one brand new (average $30k).
Bought some stocks. Value has gone up pretty nicely. Unfortunately I didn’t have more money to invest.
Anyways watching stock value going up is not as fun as riding. And with my sorry invests I ain’t gonna earn a new Dog.
So pick your poison.
If you just worry about the value, don’t buy a Big Dog. You not gonna ride it it for using leaves marks and decreases the market value.
Or better yet, buy my -03 Chopper, first ever made VIN 00000001. One Day Jay Leno or Brat Pitt will wake and realize they want that bike to their collection no matter what price

FrankBDPS

Bought some stocks. Value has gone up pretty nicely. Unfortunately I didn’t have more money to invest.
Anyways watching stock value going up is not as fun as riding. And with my sorry invests I ain’t gonna earn a new Dog.
So pick your poison.
If you just worry about the value, don’t buy a Big Dog. You not gonna ride it it for using leaves marks and decreases the market value.
Or better yet, buy my -03 Chopper, first ever made VIN 00000001. One Day Jay Leno or Brat Pitt will wake and realize they want that bike to their collection no matter what price
Don't forget being number one makes it the oldest one. So does that make it more valuable or not? Like they say on antiques road show just cause it's old don't make it valuable. Nice bike though.

TapioK

Don't forget being number one makes it the oldest one. So does that make it more valuable or not? Like they say on antiques road show just cause it's old don't make it valuable. Nice bike though.
Like original Mona Lisa painting has more value to a collector than a copy
for user it doesn’t matter, the last of the production line may even be the best one. antiques road show just might agree that say pristine original first ever made Mustang may be more valuable than 2019 model. Even If 2019 is and rides better

MossBerg590

If your worried about resale I wouldnt buy new. Say you spend 35k new, put 1k miles on first year, I doubt you would get anything over 25k for it and it would sit at that I bet.

41bigdawg

Let the Big Dawg eat !
Supporting Member
Resale means nothing, I don't plan on ever selling any of my bikes. They will pry my cold clammy fingers off of the bars some day. If you buy a bike so that you don't lose any money on it you missed the point of owning one! If you can't live without it, buy it and ride the wheels off of it, have fun and forget about what it is worth. My bikes are all worth a million dollars to me :chopper:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

what?

everything will depreciate. especially new. i have loads of stuff around the house that cost a good penny and i had good intentions when i bought them. someone mentioned a bicycle. i have a mountain bike that cost 2K and is hanging in the shed for years now. an 8K hot tub that gets used maybe half a dozen times per year. when i first got the dog i thought man, i'll be out there every chance i get and the reality is, is that life sometimes gets in the way of that. but its those times when you do have the day to yourself and your thankful you have the bike.
i tend not to look at material things as an investment. i look at the experience of enjoying them the investment.

Ernie12

Yes but I'm having real pause knowing, going in, my purchase will depreciate 'instantly' somewhere in the neighborhood of and could be as much as 50 % the minute I take ownership.

It's all well and good to throw care to the wind and take a risk in the name of fun and enjoyment but this could become simply a very bad investment.
Motorcycles are a bad investment period. Buy it to ride it and enjoy it.