Big Dog BDM Backrest Problem

Energy One

avatharv

I have a 2006 K9 with a standard sissy bar. I have bought 2 different factory backrests that claim they are for my bike. Both came with no instructions and appear to just sandwich the sissy bar between the chrome and leather of the backrest.

Neither will stay in place. Is there a trick to installing this? I'd like to be able to remove it, but no loss if I can't.

The backrest is this model. Any tips?

1623366174323.png

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
The bracket/pad is a bad design ion my opinion.

The pad has t-nuts in wood that you screw into -- too tight and you crack the wood -- too much weather and the board weakens
The bracket sitting on the INSIDE of a slope allows the thing to slide down.
I used some epoxy at one point and eventually that failed.
When I finally gave up on the design (backer plate in pad was useless) I decided to make one myself.
Instead of relying purely on tension, double sided tape or other quick fixes I opted to make a new pad.
With the new pad I added to the outside of the pad aluminum angle pieces which I covered with black material the same as the pad itself.
Now when the plate is screwed in, it didn't need to be cranked down, no double sided tape and it could not slide down.

Now with my Ginz sisybar I don't have to worry about it since the bike is no longer setup for a passenger.
Solo seat, no passenger pegs, sissy bar is for luggage for trips!

avatharv

I was almost thinking of having a chrome cross member welded on and bolt it to that, but I imagine welding to chrome would not be easy.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I was almost thinking of having a chrome cross member welded on and bolt it to that, but I imagine welding to chrome would not be easy.
Make a piece to fit against the pad that is bent to match the sissy bar angle on both side so that i catches the outside of the bar.
use it and normal plate and it wont move.
or quick fix
Just use some JB WELD on the inside of the bracket where it contacts the sissybar -- won't be removable but wont move either.