Best Approach To First Start-Up In Many Months?

Dispatch

Well, it's in the shop (a former BD shop), for the first time in over 4 years, getting 'everything' it needs fixed that I can't do or don't know it needs...

Dispatch

I have a question for you all I'd like to know what you would have done.

After two full weeks of the shop having my bike to fix it, I went in yesterday to check on it and discovered that the owner hadn't even touched it, he said he ordered new tires which I did see sitting in the corner and he said he ordered a new speedometer which he said had come in (how long it had been in I do not know), but it was just sitting there in the middle of the shop floor and nothing, not one single thing had been done to it, he hadn't even looked at it.

I contemplated opening up the bay door, pulling the bike out myself, starting it up and driving it home.

Had it not been for it was raining and my bike had other bikes blocking it between it and the door, I did not.

Should I have done just that regardless?

And here I thought the guy was alright and a pro at what he does...

Last edited:

Sven

If he's a one man band, then no, I wouldn't get on his case. If he as a cough, young journeyman mechanic, no again. Lots of bikes in the shop? Yes... wait your turn. Why? Because he's in business to work on bikes and say, whatever priority is over your bike, be it some addiction on facebook, or some other excuse... who you gonna call, bike busters and now you're really in trouble.

I have a question for you all I'd like to know what you would have done.

After two full weeks of the shop having my bike to fix it, I went in yesterday to check on it and discovered that the owner hadn't even touched it, he said he ordered new tires which I did see sitting in the corner and he said he ordered a new speedometer which he said had come in (how long it had been in I do not know), but it was just sitting there in the middle of the shop floor and nothing, not one single thing had been done to it, he hadn't even looked at it.

I contemplated opening up the bay door, pulling the bike out myself, starting it up and driving it home.

Had it not been for it was raining and my bike had other bikes blocking it between it and the door, I did not.

Should I have done just that regardless?

And here I thought the guy was alright and a pro at what he does...
I agree with Sven, I wouldn't burn the bridge right now, that shop may be the best around. Your already invested with the tires and speedo both can be installed in a few hrs. Try to get them to just do that and tell them you will return for the other services you require when it's not peak season. In the meantime you can research the shop and decide if you want to return.

Dispatch

If he's a one man band, then no, I wouldn't get on his case. If he as a cough, young journeyman mechanic, no again. Lots of bikes in the shop? Yes... wait your turn. Why? Because he's in business to work on bikes and say, whatever priority is over your bike, be it some addiction on facebook, or some other excuse... who you gonna call, bike busters and now you're really in trouble.
I agree with Sven, I wouldn't burn the bridge right now, that shop may be the best around. Your already invested with the tires and speedo both can be installed in a few hrs. Try to get them to just do that and tell them you will return for the other services you require when it's not peak season. In the meantime you can research the shop and decide if you want to return.
He's been around a long while, he brags about being in the business for 40 years and has another mechanic including a helper they just aren't there every day.

I'm only asking hypothetically as I never said a word but it's bugging me that I didn't, as I said, had he had the door open and I could have got the bike out right then and there, I would have, that's how I felt at that moment, I felt insulted/neglected.

I've been waiting patiently and two weeks is a long time for minor repairs, its more of an examination and a set of new tires.

He 'told' me to bring it in after he worked on my dad's bike a week earlier which I might ad he did the same thing, I had to show up after two weeks to see if it was ready as no word was given, when I did he said it was ready but he just hadn't taken it for a test run yet, when I did with mine he only had a couple of bikes in the shop if he wasn't ready for me, it's no problem, all he had to do was say so but he insisted I bring it in then.

For me its the fear that with all those bikes in his shop and them being moved around constantly, accidents happen, I don't want the chance of it getting damaged or such.

I'm going in for surgery on my left hand this Friday and hoped I'd also get it back in time.

No shop I've ever taken a bike to has ever kept it that long, even as bad as Harley has been for me, your bike was ready in one day even in a matter of hours as has been most times, not weeks.

As I said, he's got it and I 'think' he knows now I want it done so I'll check back in a week.

It's obvious this guy has crap customer service. I wouldn't wait a whole week to go back especially since he motivated you to bring the bike in for service. Give it a couple days and call for a progress report which may motivate him to get it done. Unless he is the only shop in town I'm sure he has lost your future business and anyone else who may ask your opinion of this shop. Look on the bright side the parts are on site so the job could get done any day now.
Don't misunderstand me I am not a passive person but I've learned that sometimes it's best to save your life's energy for things that are really important. Good luck with your surgery.

Sven

Here is dealer level... Parts in two days. No less than 3 mechanics. Fast guys put out 7-8 bikes a day. I'm a slow ass and take my time so I push out 5-6 bikes on average... no comebacks. If I was hungry with family I'd probably keep up. Factory recall job took 1.4 hr to pay for a warranty. I did so many I told one guy to time me and it took 40 some odd minutes, not an hour twenty minutes.

Segway to playing at my friend's race shop he's owned since I knew him back in the mid 70's. Racing comes first, your bike is in the back burner; when we get to it, sign here. Took one full year to build one of those replica Z1 superbikes. Now we know some PITA nagger that throws 30 or so grand at one, and would have 'called day in and day out'. I said to that guy, just buy the parts and I'll build it at home. Took me more like hours when I have all the parts ready to go. Engine was full race so all I did was assemble the rest.

Not one scratch on the bike. If he had it done there, for sure dings and things would happen shuffling other bikes cycling in and out. The guy that waited a year has hidden patina he'll never catch. Things hangup and couldn't get it out with the race schedules, and building another race bike from scratch on top of that. I'm/was in the trenches experiencing dealer level and privately owned. I see your frustration. I've seen and done some of my own horror; moving strange bikes.

He's got 40 years and has seen a lot. Same goes for my buddy rotating with the new tech evolving thru the shop and kept up racing it. I'd trust that kind of experience. Can't stay open that long if you put out shit work, nor know what you're doing in general.

Can't be your way as if you are thinking it should be done like this or that. Dealer level is in and out, we just so happen to have those parts in stock ... See the cashier on your way out. With an independent... yeah, when we get to it... what's a CSI card? Here is the little secret... say, we are going to hand you a, ['how did this dealer do before we pull their franchise for poor satisfaction'] card for you to fill out. Ever fill out one of those? Did they kiss your ass? Yes. Was the experience like the way you think it should run? Yes. Satisfied with the service to the vehicle; you didn't return for something? Yes. Your dealer remains in your town, thanks for checking the boxes.

Dispatch

It's obvious this guy has crap customer service. I wouldn't wait a whole week to go back especially since he motivated you to bring the bike in for service. Give it a couple days and call for a progress report which may motivate him to get it done. Unless he is the only shop in town I'm sure he has lost your future business and anyone else who may ask your opinion of this shop. Look on the bright side the parts are on site so the job could get done any day now.
Don't misunderstand me I am not a passive person but I've learned that sometimes it's best to save your life's energy for things that are really important. Good luck with your surgery.
He use to be an authorized Big Dog service shop (not at the current location), back before BD went out of business, or so he claims.

It's a shame because I have a good rapport with him even before I decided to take the bikes to him, he and his wife seemed to be good people, he just takes way too long and doesn't keep you informed of his progress, that's not how I do things especially when I'm paying for a service.

I'm only the cash-paying customer, I pay what he tells me, I don't think what I'm asking for is an unreasonable request.

You read my mind, after I get it back whether its next week or whatever, as long as what he did to the bike doesn't fail, not just myself but my dad said the same thing, 'we' won't be coming back for any further service from him, I just don't have any confidence in him anymore.

But you know what, in this touristy beach town(and state), that type of deficiency characteristic you get from just about every business or contractor you hire in this town, we were told about this when we moved here, the owner of a local company we hired told us that's how it is here, they pay their employees on Friday and you don't see them again until Tuesday and they put up with it because that's all that applies for the jobs, as that's what lives around here and they have to fill the job slot...

mjsk9

Lifetime Supporting Member
Well, it's in the shop (a former BD shop), for the first time in over 4 years, getting 'everything' it needs fixed that I can't do or don't know it needs...
Perhaps a little different take on this situation. From my perspective, the time to understand and manage expectations is when you and the shop wrote up the work order. Not sure what "everything it needs" (only items listed in subsequent threads are tires and speedo) means as all known service / inspections should be clearly spelled out on the work order so everyone is on the same page. In addition, and probably most importantly, is the "expected" completion date! What was promised when you dropped it off? Two days, a week, etc.? Further, you mentioned your father's experience so not sure why you think it would be different for yours? At this point, sounds like water under the bridge and your option is to hurry up and wait?

Dispatch

Perhaps a little different take on this situation. From my perspective, the time to understand and manage expectations is when you and the shop wrote up the work order. Not sure what "everything it needs" (only items listed in subsequent threads are tires and speedo) means as all known service / inspections should be clearly spelled out on the work order so everyone is on the same page. In addition, and probably most importantly, is the "expected" completion date! What was promised when you dropped it off? Two days, a week, etc.? Further, you mentioned your father's experience so not sure why you think it would be different for yours? At this point, sounds like water under the bridge and your option is to hurry up and wait?
It doesn't always work that way, especially in an informal environment, at least not for me, I never come across as a difficult customer making strict demands right from the get-go, some things are understood without saying so, doing it any different can turn a lot of people off.

Like I said before, from past experience with having any bike serviced, I figured a week or so would be plenty of time, without foreseeing any real problems that is, I never figured two weeks would go by and absolutely nothing would be done to it and no word either.

Had I not checked on it as I did, I can only assume a month would have gone by and I still wouldn't have known what's what.

Nothing was written up, it was all verbal, as I said in the last post all it was going in for was a brand new set of tires and he was going to look it over to see what it needed in his opinion 'everything it needs', it was running fine when I brought it in but due to the length of years it has been sitting combined with what I know that needs upgrading, fine-tuning and a few small things were a must.

I think this is becoming a moot point as I mentioned it's being done (I hope) regardless, and I have something that's putting me in traction tomorrow so it makes no difference now, I only brought this up to get opinions on what others would have done in that same situation...