Baker DD6 not venting

Savage 1

Does anyone know what would cause a DD6 to NOT VENT?

Clean oil
Appears to be building pressure and pushing fluid out of main shaft seal on primary side.

I cant see and fluid at vent hose or fitting when removing hose.

Thanks

Mikeinjersey

Does anyone know what would cause a DD6 to NOT VENT?

Clean oil
Appears to be building pressure and pushing fluid out of main shaft seal on primary side.

I cant see and fluid at vent hose or fitting when removing hose.

Thanks
Pull the top off the transmission and look for a blockage. Maybe your main shaft seal is bad. Someone on this site with a lot of transmission experience may have a better answer for you. I'm assuming your running an open primary but if not there is a vent on the inside primary cover that if clogged can cause oil to push out the back through the opening for the starter.

Savage 1

Thank ya sir, it's venting, oil continues to flow out the main shaft seal on the primary side of the transmission.
According to the previous owner, the seal was replaced.
To the naked eye, it looks fairly new. He did provide repair receipts.
Do you have any ideas on what action I should take next?

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
I would be contacting Andy Barnes @ barnesperformancecycles.com. Pretty sure he would know what’s going on & how to fix it.

Jwooky

Had the same issue. The bearings are likely bad and the Main shaft is walking and eating the seals.

Unfortunately probably time for a rebuild. I’d contact Baker.

Sven

I'm thinking Jwooky might have the leak source. I can't see the trans creating pressure with the air on top of the oil being past atmosphere, where I would think you'd have to expand the air above the oil. Whereas I can see two failures without adding the pressure variable into the mix.

Seal shows new, but did they replace what rubs on the seal? So where is the other part the seal rides on? Groove? Seal can't set the harder lip onto the worn grooved surface? Second would be ball collapse and that would drop the shaft and and have an air gap at the seal.

So disassembly wise, I'd pull the part the seal rides on, rather than pull the trans and pop the bearing out? See where I'm going if that sleeve can be replaced the seal rides on?

Savage 1

Thanks fellas, the previous owner had the main seal replaced.
The shop scratched the shaft with a screwdriver trying to dig old seal out.
No, that was not enough damage, he then proceeded to roll the new seal when installing it!

Got er fixed now, no longer marking her territory!

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
Thanks fellas, the previous owner had the main seal replaced.
The shop scratched the shaft with a screwdriver trying to dig old seal out.
No, that was not enough damage, he then proceeded to roll the new seal when installing it!

Got er fixed now, no longer marking her territory!
Awesome :oldthumbsup: :cheers: