Are my compression releases getting carbon buildup?

mleach72

Once in a while, if my bike sits for a few weeks, the battery doesn't have enough juice to turn the motor over. I can usually get the bike to fire if I reach in and press on the rear cr when I hit the start button. I've checked the cr's by pulling the starter wire and pushing the start button, and both are working. So why does this work if the cr's are functioning? Do they have carbon buildup and perhaps I'm opening them a little more by hand?

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Yeah it is possible carbon is built up and manually pushing them opens them further....most of the time its because its on a certain stroke of the motor and causes it to seem harder until it gets over that certain stroke position of the motor

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Also you need atleast a 310cca battery....im sure u do but never hurts to ask cause that could be the problem also

mleach72

Also you need atleast a 310cca battery....im sure u do but never hurts to ask cause that could be the problem also
Like I said, it only happens after the bike sits a few weeks without a tender, so I'm sure the battery is down a little bit. I read on another thread that some years have an EHC that draws some juice. The manual even states that the bike may not start if it sits for a month or so. I don't think I have a short or anything, because it's always been that way since brand new. I was just wondering why pushing on the cr would help the motor turn if they are functioning properly. If it's carbon buildup, I probably ought to pull them out and clean them before they stop working all together.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Yeah it wouldnt hurt to pull them and inspect and clean them...it takes alot of juice to start these bad boys...

john sachs

I've posted this before. As 1 who does a shitload of heads, I find that the compression release vent passages in the exhaust port SOMETIMES builds up enough oily carbon which plugs the passage. I find this on Twin Cam Harleys also that have a 2 times larger passage than the S&S heads have.
John

Reddickracing

Also with a stock ehc the release only stays down 1.something seconds and pops back up. So if ur bat is weak the second or 2 it’s trying to turn the motor the releases have popped back up. After market they stay down while it’s spinning over.

PAUL NOBBS

Shell out on a big 500cca lithium battery and it will fire every time and virtually maintenance free - worth the money i reckon for all that piece of mind. Not cheap though!