2005 ridgeback no start

LHS

Supporting Member
A buddy of mine has a 2005 ridgeback that won't start / no LED light on the EHC / no headlights / no tail lights no horn / no power to the Speedo or tach. It does have power going in and out of the ignition switch. I need to back up a little bit and start at the beginning. He was having battery problems because he would forget to put it on the battery tender for long periods of time ( out of town truck driver) . So he hooked up a battery charger to it without disconnecting it from the bike ( bad idea he should have disconnected the battery from the bike and definitely not 200 amps) and poured 200 amps to it numerous times to get it charged up over the last few months. He called me today so I drove my 2009 ridgeback over there and disconnected connector (A) power harness from the EHC took a known good Harley battery/deka put it in the bike hooked the positive and negative cables up to the battery and checked the power coming out of the (A) connector on port A-3 with DMM and it has voltage. I also checked A-4 and it shows continuity so the EHC has power going in and is grounded so I'm thinking the EHC is toast. Like I said none of the little leads on it light up. He has the big fuse on it instead of the circuit breaker that you can reset and the fuse is good / power in power out. I took the EHC out of my bike and was going to put it in his and try it but the connector on his harness would not plug into my EHC. The collar that goes around the plug on the EHC isn't the right size. I know if you send it to Curtis he will change them out on a new EHC from your old one. But I didn't wanna take them brass collars off of mine and put his on there.
So with all that said is there something else I should also check before sending that EHC to Curtis and having it checked and possibly having two buy a new one or do all you Big Dog gurus also think that it's the EHC ?? {{ LOST IN IOWA LOL }}

Sven

Test light to see if 12v is at the hot wire going into the EHC.
Ohm meter to ground and the ground of the EHC shows it is grounded.

12v at the wire = Bad EHC.
Ground shows infinity = Bad EHC.

However, notice no head/tail/horn. No charger is going to pop headlights with key off as it charges. So there is a main wire drop that controls the head/tail/horn. And if that's the EHC in control of those lights, you are back again to hot to the black box and no joy = EHC

At this point it seems you covered a lot of ground. Let Curtis test the unit and if good, back to chasing one wire... usually.

Reactions: LHS

Mikeinjersey

Double check the wiring back to the EHC from the ignition switch. That's what tells the EHC to get to work and turn on the different circuits. If all seems good, having the EHC tested to eliminate or confirm is a good plan.
If or when he replaces the EHC have him install a fuse/CB between the battery and the EHC so it will be protected.

Last edited:

LHS

Supporting Member
Double check the wiring back to the EHC from the ignition switch. That's what tells the EHC to get to work and turn on the different circuits. If all seems good, having the EHC tested to eliminate or confirm is a good plan.
If or when he replaces the EHC have him install a fuse/CB between the battery and the EHC so it will be protected.
So what you're saying Mike is I need to check for power on connector (B) at pinhole 36 to make sure it has power when the ignition is turned on for the EHC to come alive. Also pinhole 21 to make sure I have continuity ?EHC.jpg

Mikeinjersey

So what you're saying Mike is I need to check for power on connector (B) at pinhole 36 to make sure it has power when the ignition is turned on for the EHC to come alive. Also pinhole 21 to make sure I have continuity ?View attachment 90104
With the connector B disconnected I would look for continuity between 21 ground and 36 signal. Switch the key on and off and look for a change. If continuity comes and goes when you turn the key on and off your wiring and switch are good. Check for bent or pushed in pins in the connector. Double check the A3 power and A4 ground back to the battery. If all checks good Curtis will check out the EHC.

Sven

Pins:
9 ~ annunciator ground... this boy throws up the lights fandango.
36 ~ You have the connector plugged in the EHC, a sewing needle is pushed thru the weatherpac [if used] and on that pin connector going into the EHC's hole.
21 ~ Yes, you called it as per backprobe with an ohm meter touching the protruding needle shaft to a good ground on the frame.... less damage to the weatherpac than using a larger pointed scribe, etc.

And also, 12v goes into a leg on an integrated chip. The chip converts 12v to a working 5v signal of your generic processor. So 12v at the wire going into pin 36, and ground is good, then most likely the chip is burnt and/or motherboard hard part.

LHS

Supporting Member
With the connector B disconnected I would look for continuity between 21 ground and 36 signal. Switch the key on and off and look for a change. If continuity comes and goes when you turn the key on and off your wiring and switch are good. Check for bent or pushed in pins in the connector. Double check the A3 power and A4 ground back to the battery. If all checks good Curtis will check out the EHC.
Thanks Mike looks like we're both on the same page you're just going about checking them 2 wires and switch in a shorter/ quicker manner than I was. I was just checking from 36 to chassis ground for voltage and from 21 two chassis ground for continuity. And you're checking in a loop from 21 to 36 for a on and off continuity with the switch. ( same results shorter route ) I had already checked power in and out of the switch so I knew power was there so the way I was going about it was the long route
Thanks Mike
Lew

Jersey Big Mike

Supporting Member
You will NOT get voltage at pin 36 -- remember this is a BIG DOG
All switches activate by going to GROUND
See the schematic -- wires to ignition switch are GND and input
When key is ON it will GROUND the INPUT pin.

based on 08 schematic

Jersey Big Mike

Supporting Member
So what you're saying Mike is I need to check for power on connector (B) at pinhole 36 to make sure it has power when the ignition is turned on for the EHC to come alive. Also pinhole 21 to make sure I have continuity ?View attachment 90104
NO
Iginition B36 must go LOW, ie to ground.
If there is voltage on B36, it is the microcontroller (EHC) pulling up the so it can distinguish a solid ground
All switches on BDM's 05 and up are ground and input to EHC so that the switches are all LOW POWER and SWITCH to ground when active!

LHS

Supporting Member
NO
Iginition B36 must go LOW, ie to ground.
If there is voltage on B36, it is the microcontroller (EHC) pulling up the so it can distinguish a solid ground
All switches on BDM's 05 and up are ground and input to EHC so that the switches are all LOW POWER and SWITCH to ground when active!
Hey Mike if I could figure out how to do a PM on here I’d send you my phone number so I could talk to you Directly it would be so much easier as I am terrible at electric. LOL but if I’m reading this correctly I need to check 36 pin hole to ground turn the ignition switch on and off to see if it has continuity and the same with 21 ?

Last edited:

LHS

Supporting Member
Hey everyone sorry it’s been a while since I got back they got me working crazy hours again. Well we ran all the test everything checks out OK it’s definitely the EHC got one ordered from Curtis soon as it comes in will get it installed and then give you an update thanks a lot for the help.

LHS

Supporting Member
Well everyone we got the ridgeback running. It was definitely the EHC he sent it off to Curtis and he tested it and said it was bad. So my buddy Jaydon ordered a new one and the new full upgraded charging system. Yesterday he gave me a call and told me he had good news that he got the new EHC and had it installed and He had all the wiring put back together and the gas tank and the coil pack and coil cover back on but he also had bad news something wasn't right. So I told him the to give me a 1/2 hour to 40 minutes to get showered and dressed as I had just got off a 14 hour shift but I didn't have to work that night and I would be right over. When I got there he already had the gas tank and coil cover pulled back off. Well as soon as we touched the battery cable to the battery the tail lights would light up and the led,s on the EHC also light up but nothing else would happen / no speedometer sweep or lights and no headlight and that's with the key out of the ignition. So if we put the key in the ignition and turned it on it would do the same thing so it didn't matter if the ignition was on or off it would light up the tail lights and EHC. So I'm thinking there's a short in the wire somewhere between the ignition switch and EHC. But then he shows me that if he hits the run button then the speedometer does it's sweep and lights up and if he hits the run button then the bike starts right up and the headlight comes on and it didn't matter if the ignition was turned on or off. So I'm still thinking there's a short in the wiring between the ignition switch and the EHC. So I unplug the little plug at the ignition switch and it still does the same thing so I plugged that one back in and go to the next little plug in line So I unplugged the next little connector behind the coil pack and it still does the same thing so I plug that one back in. then I unplugged the next one in line up on the backbone and it still does the same thing. So now I'm thinking we have narrowed it down from the plug on the backbone to the EHC so I plugged that one back in and lo and behold it straightens out. Key on key off works good now. So I start wiggling the wires around there at that little plug on the backbone and everything goes out I keep wiggling it and it comes on and goes off comes on and goes off. So now I have found the short the little plugin is bad and the wires are touching each other inside of the plug. So we replaced that one plugin and all is well.

I am a little jealous of my buddy though this new EHC that he got from WSW / Curtis has some really nice features that you can program in like the ability to not have the headlight on with ignition turned on until it starts is way nice and the ability to have your brake lights flash when you hit them to make you more visible to the people behind you is also very nice.

I want to throw a big thanks out to Jersey Big Mike for calling me and giving me an education on how to test these big dogs as I was testing them like I have for decades on automobiles I did not know that everything ran through ground to microswitches. So I was testing everything the wrong way.

Thanks Mike

Last edited: