2003 Chopper Resurrection Build

Energy One

Tim M.

What's up everyone! Welcome to my thread. The back story:

I acquired an ASPT bobber a couple years back. Couldn't get it titled (separate story) so I went digging around for a roller with a title for a build, planning on utilizing the parts from the home built chopper, including a 113" Ultima engine with headwork, Ultima 6 speed trans, and a BDL 3 inch belt drive amongst other items. I find a roller on Craigslist, compatible with my Evo style drivetrain and parts. It was a 2003 Big Dog Chopper. After jumping through a few hoops and way too much money, I had a roller (kind of). Fast forward another 2 years. Here we are 3 years later...a roller and parts...so the fun begins. I came to the forums I'm search of parts and info, and I've found a bit of both. The frame had been ground to raw metal and cleared over (rattle bomb it looked like). Harley FXDWG trees (ugh) but new tires, shocks, 10" over 41mm front forks (HD style) and at least a fresh set of recently painted tins. So, I get the itch to make a move or do what so many have done and dump off the parts, cut my losses, etc. Well I hated the thought of not trying to make something happen and letting a dream go. So...I broke the roller down to parts...and headed to a decently priced powdercoating shop here in Jax. Not perfect but hard to beat for the price. Now we're caught up....I began mocking the bike up and getting something going. The races in the neck were sprayed as well as mating surfaces, but oh well. So I has this far acquired a set of EBay Trees (regrettably) that weren't as advertised. Such is life, get what you pay for. I couldn't find a race removal tool, so I dug around the corners of the internet and came up with a way to build a race remover...that actually worked great after some trial and error in design. So...next up...install fork stop kit, sand blast and check the trees for serviceability, and get a roller back...well..rolling. I invite folks to chime in and help, quite frankly my skill level is intermediate and that's being generous but I am mechanically inclined and never mind good advice, parts, or info. So welcome aboard and let's see what happens!

Tim M.

Update: Haven't made squat for headway on the build, but did get the motor out and snapped a couple photos. Ultima 113, with head work, Ultima 6 speed, BDL Belt Drive, Single Fire Ignition, H.O. Starter, S&S Super G, Accel Wires, Full wiring harness, Hooker custom exhaust. Should sit nicely in the Copper Chopper...and make it haul ass! I'm giving serious thought to converting it over to a chain drive vs. belt final. I have the parts to go either way.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Update: Haven't made squat for headway on the build, but did get the motor out and snapped a couple photos. Ultima 113, with head work, Ultima 6 speed, BDL Belt Drive, Single Fire Ignition, H.O. Starter, S&S Super G, Accel Wires, Full wiring harness, Hooker custom exhaust. Should sit nicely in the Copper Chopper...and make it haul ass! I'm giving serious thought to converting it over to a chain drive vs. belt final. I have the parts to go either way.

Imho, I own both a chain drive and belt drive. I prefer the belt over the chain drive. The chain drive takes allot more maintenance compared to the belt drive. To each his own I like both .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim M.

Update- still alive. Got side tracked with a baby coming, had to do a metric sh!t-ton of remodeling and finish a Harley Rebuild. Harley is roadworthy again, remodeling still needs some attention. Next for the bike is finding a race tool, the proper races and internal stop kit for the Chopper, then blast and coat the trees to match the frame, repair the handlebars and I can finally assemble a front end then tackle the rear to make it a roller. Then I'm grabbing an HFT Lift and pushing forward. Going to sell the Harley after inspection and it's certified rebuilt, I'm looking hard at a 2001 Pitbull for sale 20 mins away, in great shape. That way I have one for going and one for showing lol...keep the rubber on the pavement side and ride safe! - Mo

Tim M.

Hey everyone, I'm still kickin'. Waiting on the DMV inspection for my rebuilt Dyna so I can have something to ride and then sell off to make room in the garage for the Chopper build. I also had a kid (4th) which can be a slight set back on projects, but all is well. Just have to make time to buckle down and get the roller actually rolling. Still haven't been able to source the internal fork stop kit, but I'll figure something out. Anyways, take it easy and keep the rubber side down! - Mo

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
Looking forward to this build.

Post up what you seek and the forum may have just what you need.

:chopper::chopper:

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Hey everyone, I'm still kickin'. Waiting on the DMV inspection for my rebuilt Dyna so I can have something to ride and then sell off to make room in the garage for the Chopper build. I also had a kid (4th) which can be a slight set back on projects, but all is well. Just have to make time to buckle down and get the roller actually rolling. Still haven't been able to source the internal fork stop kit, but I'll figure something out. Anyways, take it easy and keep the rubber side down! - Mo

I was just thinking about you, and how this was coming along. Give me a call some time, and I'll help you out with the neck stops, and anything else you need.

chubs

Guru

"Had a kid" ? Congratulations ! Come on, what'd ya have ? I'm thinkin that by now you'd know what's causing them !

Tim M.

Haha, yeah, I'm looking at going to the Doc and having the firing pin pulled permanently if you know what I mean lol, but had a happy and healthy girl, first 1. I have 3 boys already, and much like me, they love anything motorcycle and mechanically related (thank goodness)!

Tim M.

UPDATE- still alive and so is the bike. Won't make Daytona this year but it'll come along. My house flooded in January so that was a nice setback we're still dealing with, but she's going to be done this year, hell or more high water hahaha, still trying to figure out the neck race bearings for the internal fork stop and their instsllation. Got a diagram but not sure if the internal stop race seats within the bearing race or something to that effect (which doesn't make a ton of sense now that I think about it) so the question is whether it's one or the other) anyways, she's still almost kicking and so am I lol

UPDATE- still alive and so is the bike. Won't make Daytona this year but it'll come along. My house flooded in January so that was a nice setback we're still dealing with, but she's going to be done this year, hell or more high water hahaha, still trying to figure out the neck race bearings for the internal fork stop and their instsllation. Got a diagram but not sure if the internal stop race seats within the bearing race or something to that effect (which doesn't make a ton of sense now that I think about it) so the question is whether it's one or the other) anyways, she's still almost kicking and so am I lol
Not sure what you are trying to figure out with the race? Got any pics?
There are a few different setups used for the fork stops pending on what type of triple trees you are using. I have seen the races with a tab that seats into the tree. If you post up some pics of your trees and the races I can probably get you setup

Tim M.

The trees are going to be shot in pearl white (frame and swing arm are Carl's Copper) like the tins, anyways the race pictured (timken) is what came out. The trees are the tab and ring type it looks like. The trees are rough but they were what I could afford at the time. Their chrome was garbage but they're billet cut and being stripped down anyways for powder coat. Hopefully salvageable, they also have external stop pins which are installable/removable. Thanks guys!

The trees are going to be shot in pearl white (frame and swing arm are Carl's Copper) like the tins, anyways the race pictured (timken) is what came out. The trees are the tab and ring type it looks like. The trees are rough but they were what I could afford at the time. Their chrome was garbage but they're billet cut and being stripped down anyways for powder coat. Hopefully salvageable, they also have external stop pins which are installable/removable. Thanks guys!

I think there should be a cover plate (dust) that on that if I am not mistaking ? Also like mr Wright is asking let’s see the bottom race .

Tim M.

Sorry I totally blanked lol, I don't know why you'd need that (you're right, just a dust cover) anyways here's the bottom.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
upload_2019-2-23_19-49-39.png

See idem 44.
On your lower triple tree those 4 holes look like the bolts are broke off.
You have the RT frame like I do. I'll pull mine apart and see what is used for stops. The diagram above is for the newer bikes, and I'm use to the DT frame on the older ones, and the stops are different.

Tim M.

View attachment 62991

See idem 44.
On your lower triple tree those 4 holes look like the bolts are broke off.
You have the RT frame like I do. I'll pull mine apart and see what is used for stops. The diagram above is for the newer bikes, and I'm use to the DT frame on the older ones, and the stops are different.
Thanks, we're on the same page then, I was referring to this diagram and was thrown off by the stop ring but no stop race or "tab" race in the bottom.