2003 Bull Dog Belt tension

Energy One

Powerfact

Installed a new drive belt on my 2003 Bull Dog with right side drive, how much tension should I have? And what is the proper way to check the tension? Thanks, Anthony

Installed a new drive belt on my 2003 Bull Dog with right side drive, how much tension should I have? And what is the proper way to check the tension? Thanks, Anthony
I can check my manual but if my memory serves me correct it’s a 1/2” play. Like I said going off memory :(
Check out you tube allot of videos covering it , they sell a tensioner and you can get it through almost any hd dealership and it’s fairly cheap. I have even used a ruler while pushing on the belt to check play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
You can probably use the same method as the softail harley belt tension adjustment if you cant find the big dog adjustment procedure on here. 2 members ( Broadband and bdm7250) have posted links to most manuals.

Last edited:

Powerfact

I can check my manual but if my memory serves me correct it’s a 1/2” play. Like I said going off memory :(
Check out you tube allot of videos covering it , they sell a tensioner and you can get it through almost any hd dealership and it’s fairly cheap. I have even used a ruler while pushing on the belt to check play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for checking

PAUL NOBBS

firm[ish] pressure up and down with finger and 3/8 to 1/2 inch total play [max] between the two is good for my Bulldog - never caused any issues.

heybaylor

main thing is to line up the sprockets(pulleys)
then twist the belt at the center of them.( one person sitting on bike if you have rear suspension )
about 1/4 turn with your hand is good.
any more is too loose, any less is too tight.
belt chirp/squeal is caused by mis-aligned sprockets .
save your $$ on that gauge and use it for more fuel to ride with :chopper: