07 Bulldog won't start

Energy One

Tony G

Here's my problem...I turn on the key, all lights power up and speedo needle jumps up as I expect. In about 2-3 seconds everything goes dead as if I had turned off the key.
I'm looking for advice on where to start looking or what the problem might be.

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
If it happens every time you turn the key switch on, first check the battery voltage before and after.
Check all connections are clean and tight to the battery too.
Your headlight might be causing the battery drain to lower the battery voltage out of range for the ehc.
You could try doing it with a jump box attached to the battery to ensure it’s not the battery.
But start there.

awg

Guru
Do you have the EHC? Do you have any type of alarm? Either way....check the battery before you turn the key on. Then after it shuts down check the battery again. Compare voltage. During the 3 seconds it is on can you start the bike? Sounds like a relay or something shutting it down.

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
I have a 2007 Bulldog with fuel injection. This spring I had to replace the original battery. I bought a new battery from the local Harley dealer...320 CCA. Since installing it I have had problems getting the bike started. It acts like the compression releases weren't working, it'll turn over once and then lock up and all 4 turn signals flash. After several attempts it will usually start. The battery is fully charged and easily turns the engine if it doesn't lock up on the first try. I took the bike to a local shop, they say the compression releases are working properly, they can't seem to get a good handle on the problem. Any suggestions??

#1 Tony G, Sep 5, 2015

Did you ever get this problem resolved? Just curious.

Tony G

I have a 2007 Bulldog with fuel injection. This spring I had to replace the original battery. I bought a new battery from the local Harley dealer...320 CCA. Since installing it I have had problems getting the bike started. It acts like the compression releases weren't working, it'll turn over once and then lock up and all 4 turn signals flash. After several attempts it will usually start. The battery is fully charged and easily turns the engine if it doesn't lock up on the first try. I took the bike to a local shop, they say the compression releases are working properly, they can't seem to get a good handle on the problem. Any suggestions??

#1 Tony G, Sep 5, 2015

Did you ever get this problem resolved? Just curious.

Tony G

Do you have the EHC? Do you have any type of alarm? Either way....check the battery before you turn the key on. Then after it shuts down check the battery again. Compare voltage. During the 3 seconds it is on can you start the bike? Sounds like a relay or something shutting it down.
The bike is fuel injected, no alarm.Can't start befor it shuts down.

awg

Guru
O boy.....I cant help you there. I know very little if anything about Fuel Injection. Sorry.