05 Chopper Headlight Assembly Replacement

japelfrey

Hello,

Recently my wife surprised me with a replacement for the headlight assembly, it has had a big dent in it for several years and was beginning to rust.

Before unhooking everything, all worked properly, have the LED light from Curtis, it has been flawless the last 2 or 3 years.

The new housing came with the female plug and a fairly long cable, likely long enough to go back to the pins but I really didn't want to take the tank and all that off :( some times the easiest isn't the best lol

So I prepped everything and before I buttoned it up, I generically twisted the wires together to do a test before soldering and making things permanent. White (Hi Beam), Yellow (Low) and Black (ground). When I turn the key I get the blinking blue indicator on the speedometer and the fault lights on the ECM for HI/LO.

At first I figured that maybe the LED got broken on disassembly so I plugged in the new bulb that came with it and same problem remains. Clicking the Lo or Hi doesnt do anything either. What am I missing?

Attachments

1 B.M.F.

On my 05 I had to wire black to black white to yellow and yellow to white. Try that. It worked for me

japelfrey

On my 05 I had to wire black to black white to yellow and yellow to white. Try that. It worked for me
I tried that a few moments ago and it didn't fix it. I still get nothing but the blinking blue indicator on speedometer and the 2 faults on the ECM.

1 B.M.F.

You might disconnect the the negative side of the battery and let it it sit a few minutes to reset the ECM. If all you did was unplug the old, cut and re-wire the 3 wires. I don’t know it wouldn’t be working unless you turned the key while the light was unplugged and it showed a fault light for the headlight. You might Also try this. Turn key on. Hit run button. Then turn key off. Wait 30 seconds and it should reset. I read that on here this morning. If that doesn’t work I would start looking at where you spliced it together and go towards the tank and see if you have a wire that has rubbed through and it wasn’t noticeable until you moved the wires.

japelfrey

I've not had time to get to anything under the tank, I plan to tackle it this weekend though and I will report back any findings or pics. Thanks everyone