Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Yup, it's an electrical question

Discussion in 'Ignition / Electronics / Batteries' started by Chop Shop, Dec 13, 2017.

1. carefreeinaz

carefreeinaz New Member

My Bike(s):
    2007 K-9
    First Name:
    Mark
    Please check your spark plugs wires. I have had the same thing happen to my 07 K9. I went thru everything you're going thru. I had everything checked out that everyone is suggesting and it turned out to be the spark plugs wires.

Question: If your coil is good and you have new spark plugs but your chopper won't fire up, why not? Answer: Replace the spark plug wires. Reason: Coil sends electricity to spark plug but if the spark plug wires are no good then electricity can't get to the spark plug because spark plug wires are bad. A spark plug wire (especially with Big Dog's high compression S&S 117 cubic inch engines) must have at least 40 ohms of resistance per inch of wire to create a strong enough spark to energize and keep the engine running. This happened to me and my 07 Big Dog K-9 last weekend and after going thru all you're going thru I finally bought new ACCELL spark plug wires that originally came with my BDM K-9. Pretty simple

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Reddickracing, pknowles and TapioK like this.
  2. John Chiarenza

My Bike(s):
    2004 Big Dog Mastiff
    First Name:
    John
    Thanks for the RIP mounted pictures. I used it for inspiration to mount all of my components. I didn't think that all of that crap would fit in that small area!

Hirter6Pack likes this.
  3. Hirter6Pack

Hirter6Pack Not Quite A Guru

My Bike(s):
    2004 Mastiff
    First Name:
    Rick
    Not a problem :old2:

dentdude36 likes this.
  4. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog, SpyderF3
    First Name:
    Ker
    Nice clean job, Rick:old2:

Hirter6Pack likes this.
  5. Wil Lund

Wil Lund New Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 Big Dog K9
    First Name:
    Wil
    I have a 2006 K9 I was having electrical problems. Turn the key on and nothing would come on, then the flashers would start flashing. I would have to turn the key off and on several times before the lights would come on. I would be riding and lose my speedometer, tac and my flashers would start flashing, kill button would not work had to turn key off to stop it. Over the New Years holidays I installed the RIP gen 1 and so far everything been working good. I like riding and don't want to worry about electrical problems.