Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Your thots? 03 Pitbull for $12,800

Discussion in 'General' started by Buttdragger, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Buttdragger

Buttdragger New Member

My Bike(s):
    2003 Pit Bull, 2007 V Star
    I'm exposing my unprotected underbelly here...but here goes.

Buying my first American bike. Couldn't justify more than $13K for a toy. Like the wide tire look and compared Harley fattails and Victory Jackpots and the BD. Found a beautiful 03 Pitbull with 7700 miles for $12.8K (about average retail according to web sources). Don't know anyone who has one; thus, this forum is my prime source of info. Got a couple of guys checking the bike out before I pull the trigger. Unfortunately, I cannot go ride it (distance)...but I figure, if I hate it, I'll sell it.

Know the market is "soft" but haven't found a better deal on a bike I like. Anybody have any thots for me? (wisecracks accepted...but intelligent feedback will NOT be turned away)...

2. waykool

waykool Banned

My Bike(s):
    03 Big Dog Chopper RT
    First Name:
    Johnny
    That is a great deal providing that it is all there and runs good. 12K is even better.

3. marinecorpsmike

marinecorpsmike Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 Mastiff
    I think the price is fair but agree $12000 even might get it.

4. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN SICK BOY

My Bike(s):
    2003 BDM Chopper - 1975 HD FXE Superglide
    That sounds like a pretty good price to me if it is what it says it is. There are a few benefits with choosing an '03: In '03 they used S&S Rockers not TP which if you search in this site you will find that many are changing the TP tp S&S. With an '03 you're getting the 107" motor tha has not been restricted to meet EPA standards. There also will be no restricter plates in the carb. I have an '03 Chopper so I may be a little biased but, knock on wood, I haven't had alot of the problems many experience with the newer models. Also '03 was the last year Big Dog manufactured motorcycles without the dreaded "PROPRIETARY PARTS". Which in short means that you can look through a J&P or Custom Chrome or even at you local HD dealership and find parts to work on your bike. You don't have to use BDM parts. Really the only upgrade on my chopper that I had to turn to BDM for was the sissy bar and struts. Which BDM extorts you for, so i picked one up free from a buddy of mine. Like i said i am a little biased but i truely believe '03 is one of the best years for BDM...

5. barhopper

barhopper Another round please

My Bike(s):
    04 RSD Bulldog
    Hooligan, My 04 117 has S&S rocker boxes and no restrictor plates. The compression was at 10.5 stock also. Been bullet proof. Every bike builder extorts money from you with way overpriced parts. Harley is the worst offender in that area. Thats just life.

6. LDO

LDO The Cleaner
    Staff Member Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    03 Mastiff
    ahhhh, sweet sound to my ears!:D

03's baby! You can do anything you want to them. Foot controls, hand controls the sky and your checkbook is the limit.

I would talk to our fellow pitbull riders on here and see how they like the ride of a rigid.
    I personally love the look of the rear fender slammed down on the tire (and I own a Mastiff!).

If you go rigid and find that it's not the ride you're looking for, you could 'play' with air pressures and seat design/padding.

It would all depend on whether you want to look good or feel good....

7. BorgerBigDog

BorgerBigDog BORN TEXAN

My Bike(s):
    06 Ridgeback,06 Proper Chopper,85 Yamaha Maxim chopped
    First Name:
    Rob
    Man it makes me nervous to put down cash like that,but you will ENJOY it,I like my ridgeback,and i agree with LDO you can make adjustments to the seat for comfort... GOOD LUCK with the bike :2thumbs:

8. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN SICK BOY

My Bike(s):
    2003 BDM Chopper - 1975 HD FXE Superglide
    I realize that some '04's still used S&S Rocker boxes and had no restrictor plates in the carb. And anyone with the smallest amount life experience wll realize that the factory will try to charge the most they can. I'm not disputing either fact. Look at the original thread title. Buttdragger asked for thoughts about 2003 Big Dogs. That's what I gave him, a few strong points about the bikes manufactured in '03. The point i was trying to make about my Sissy Bar was that it was the ONLY part that i had to get through Big Dog. Hence the statement I made about "PROPRIETARY PARTS". Maybe you need "HOOKED ON PHONICS" or something Barhopper because it seems you don't understand what people are saying in their posts. That or you're very sensitive because if i remember correctly this isn't the first time you've "CAUGHT FEELINGS" about something i've said on here. The bottom line is Buttdragger is looking at an '03 so why would i compare every year. In his previous thread he said he has a price idea in his head and wants an older model in good shape, with low miles. If it werent for this he stated he would probably buy new.

9. Buttdragger

Buttdragger New Member

My Bike(s):
    Thanks for the inputs thus far. Hooligan is right...I've limited myself by the pricing. I do that with boats too. Start out the year thinking I'd love to have a Sea Doo...but two would be more fun so we'd each have one...and a sea doo jet boat might be even better so we could pull skiers...and a Mastercraft would be best for skiers...and suddenly I've gone from a $5K toy I can keep in the garage to a $40K toy I've got to ensure and store year round. And I just say "screw it". Thus...with the bike...doing an entry level price to see if I like BDs and then, in a couple of years, maybe buy bigger and better and newer.
    Thanks for the inputs!!!

10. PurpleDog

PurpleDog Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    '07 K-9; '09 Coyote
    First Name:
    Jim
    That's tough...for me at 12,800. it seems 12k or even less I'd feel better about personally too (but I'm partial to a diff bike too). Plus, I know I'd say hmm I'm basically at 13k plus whatever to ship it? For another 2k or less I could have an 05 Chopper....:D if you're into them at all....but atlas you could do that all day long I suppose.

11. Buttdragger

Buttdragger New Member

My Bike(s):
    Okay, guys. I could pay cash for an 09 Wolf...BUT I don't want to. I want to stick at $13K. Play the game...stick with my rules...hang with me here...focus!

12. xmmotorsports

xmmotorsports Member

My Bike(s):
    2002 Pit Bull
    First Name:
    Michael
    I have an '02 Pittbull & love it! It came with the 250mm rear & 107ci like the '03. Alot of people don't like the hard tail, but that wide tire helps smooth out some of the bumps in the road. I don't know of any differences between the 2002 & 2003. They are both Left Side Drive, but your's may have the Baker 6 speed, whereas mine is just the 5 speed.
    Go for it! You won't regret it.

13. stlmikie

stlmikie I wish I had more money.

My Bike(s):
    03 Mastif
    First Name:
    Mike
    03's kick ass. Pull the trigger dude. Like someone else said ride may be a little ruff but either you will get used to it or have your seat modified. No biggie. Is that the bike you are looking at in the avatar?

14. Apache6x

Apache6x New Member

My Bike(s):
    2003 Pitbull
    I have a 03 Pitbull. It will take a little getting used to the rigid frame but, it doesn't ride bad at all. It is a great bike and like the others said it can be modified with HD or aftermarket parts. I run about 15 psi in my rear tire which helps with the bumps. I am getting ready to install an inverted front end which I am told will also ease the ride. Overall it looks badass and handles great.

15. ChevroletSS1965

My Bike(s):
    2003 Pitbull
    First Name:
    Taylor
    I just bought my 2003 pitbull last weekend. The bike is amazing and rides a lot better than you would imagine for a rigid. The attention and compliments you'll get on the bike is great. I picked mine up for $10,000 and it has custom pipes, polished and rejetted carb for the pipes. It had 4800 miles on it but my speedo just took a crap. I say go for it, the bike is great. :cheers:

16. Doug G

Doug G Active Member

My Bike(s):
    07 K9 Trotta Ceramic Coated Pipes, D&M Spear Air Filter, Python Seat, Flame Paint Job Black and Blue
    Pig Pen has an 03 Pitbull, and has had very few problems. Not a bad ride for a rigid, and the 107 is an ass kicker with no restrictions. His bike is stock and dynoed right around 110 hp. I have a 117 with triple X carb and 600 cam and I still don't have that HP yet. BD doesn't sell a sissy bar set up, so if your lady is riding with you there is not a set up that works for that bike. The others are right that there are some Harley parts that bolt on. Easy to find a belt drive and not too expensive, not like the newer right side drives. I think it is an all around good bike, but work on the price a little.

17. RoofDude

RoofDude Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    '10 RoadKing
    First Name:
    Andy
    Have an '04 Pitbull. Ordered it with a 117. Love it. Have had absolutely zero problems. Damn thing is pretty quick, & as stated earlier a definate attention getter :eek:

The rigid does take some getting used to but, once you have... it aint a big deal. You definately pay attention to the road more :D

The left side drive ....well never knew any different until they changed it up later to right side. On the leftys... the bike aint balanced as well. you'll be leaning a little, & track a little different down the road than those that are better balanced, or right sided. that being the only negative I can think of.

Personally I like the look of the lefty better. Although, those of us with leftys, if you've sat on a balanced one, you cant not notice the difference.

At that price you cant go wrong dude. Not to mention, again.. as stated earlier buying one of the engines before the epa crap, you get a faster bike.

18. Cephus

Cephus Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    03 pitbull
    I bought my 03 pitbull 3 years ago and have LOVED every minute on it. You won't find too many custom bikes runs like this one. This bike hauls ass!!! :eek: :eek: I went from a sport bike to this one and speed is something you don't lose. As far as the ride the wide tire helps alot with the bumps but you still feel them. It will take some getting used to so take it easy for alittle while and you'll be fine. You have picked up a fine bike and I don't think you'll regret your decision. :2thumbs:

19. Buttdragger

Buttdragger New Member

My Bike(s):
    Two guys from the forum, John S and Bruce, stopped by to check out the bike for me. Potential issues: bike ran on only one cylinder for a few minutes, leak in exhaust, tires/pads/rotors at 30% remaining, weeping oil pressure line, corrosion on an empty bracket (and two unconnected wires) behind the transmission, and what the heck was on that bracket and is now gone? Not exactly the "excellent condition" and "runs GREAT" that was initially advertised.
    I shared the info with the seller about 14 hours ago...explained we needed to renegotiate or he could advertise again...his choice. I have not heard anything in return yet.
    If this is typical with a bike 6 years old...I may have to pony up to a newer bike.

20. LDO

LDO The Cleaner
    Staff Member Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    03 Mastiff
    ButtDragger, might be typical with a neglected bike that just happens to also be 6years old.

You could still find an older bike out there that has been well cared for.

or

You could still purchase this one after you renegotiate a better price which takes into consideration the money you'll have to invest into this 'fixer-uper'.