Won't start

Energy One

Jones

My 08 ridge cranks for one "grunt" and stops. Kinda like the pistons do half a rev. Good battery for sure.

This happened a few times then it started properly, two days in a row. Same thing happened a few days later. Braile battery yanked and load tested and OK. The "Ignition" trouble light is lit. it seems like compression releases are not opening. Before I do the troubleshooting flow chart what has been your experiences with this. I have the original EHC. I am ordering the RIP EHC this week. I have the original EHC still in and it has been intermittently giving me trouble over the last decade. By the way also... the tach is now not working and the flashers come on.

Think this is the EHC?

Cheers

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
simple question. when you bought the new battery, did you put it right in the bike or was it put on the charger (not the tender) for a full charge? there's no telling how long that battery sat on the shelf before you bought it and more than likely, it doesn't have the balls to do the job.

Jones

Thanks for the replies thus far.
When I bought the Braile i charged it with a smart charger (good one) in my basement. When the bike did started up A-ok the starter was spinning like a turbine and the bike fired instantaneously. The battery is 3 years old.
Battery was load tested at ...believe it or not ... Walmart. The auto guy had some huge fancy schmancy tester and said that you can't rely on consumer cheapo testers to check the battery properly...ok...I'll buy that.

External battery source to crank....no I have not but will rustle up a battery and give that a try.

Compression releases.....any trick to seeing if they are working before I start wringing out the wiring? Should they cycle open when the key is turned on or the RUN button is pushed? Or do they open when the START button is pushed. Should I be able to hear a "click" if they open at the KEY turn on or the RUN button push?

shansel88

I'd place my bet on battery. Easily answered by jumping from car - (not running) - if cranks at normal pace like that - battery needs replaced.

You should also be able to see if compression release is working but placing your finger on top of them as you hit the start button. One at a time.
If they function, you will feel it when you hit start.

I can see this being related to EHC - but, never know. These bikes put a serious strain on batteries. So it seems as soon as there is an issue, its the best place to start.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
WALMART -- what did it test out at in Cranking amps -- if he didn't tell you I wouldn't trust the results.
If that battery is 3 yrs old, I'd bet it's the battery as well.
Whenever I've had starting troubling and the flashers start going, its been the battery not having enough juice as a rule.
Only time it wasn't was both my ehc's that failed, failed COLD -- above 70 ran great, 45degrees and the bike was FU, pout hot water over the EHC and she'd start like a charm (only did that trick once-- other times used a hair dryer)

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
Like it was said above, you can feel the compression releases with your finger while attempting a start. Did you check all your connections clean and tight including the ground wire. The solenoid might need cleaning also. I hope you are not replacing your EHC without it being tested first!

what?

I am on my third battery. I had issues like this once after the bike was sitting for a long time. Another while out on an all day ride. Both times I thought the worst and both times it was as easy as swapping out the battery. Second what Mike said. Batteries seem to last me about 3 years.

Dakotabos

Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Great answers everyone. Jump from car / truck (NOT RUNNING) with good jumper cables is a great way to test a battery.

JONES: If you still have the Original EHC (Its a well made EHC by then) (Not as solid and the brand New bullet proof one Big Dog makes but its a good) There is someone on here that has the lights readout for your EHC. Curtis is a good source for light doing what / when on the EHC. But he will need more info if your not the first owner of the dog. A lot of people shot gunned the EHCs for bad batteries, hard starts, lights flashing, low tire pressure. Ok not low tire pressure but meaning they were changed for no reason in general. I hope this tread helps.

MossBerg590

I would try everything mentioned first, ehc last. Thing about ehc is even if you send it out to be tested, it could test fine if its intermittent. My bike ran great cold, after it's hot would randomly blow horn,flashers turn on etc every time I used brakes or turn signals and die. Tested it and was fine, got a new battery and still happend. Wired in a new thunder heart module and hasn't happend since. Good luck and hope it's an easy fix

Reddickracing

For sure if the flashers go off weak battery. Also pull the green wire off the starter so when you hit the starter button it wont engage but the comp releases will still open. Check with the finger as stated above. Should stay open aprox second and half with stock ech

Nfamous

Battery is junk been thru this alot new battery starts fine old battery gotta jump with jump pack then will start fine as long as I ride it or start every couple days

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
My 08 ridge cranks for one "grunt" and stops. Kinda like the pistons do half a rev. Good battery for sure.

This happened a few times then it started properly, two days in a row. Same thing happened a few days later. Braile battery yanked and load tested and OK. The "Ignition" trouble light is lit. it seems like compression releases are not opening. Before I do the troubleshooting flow chart what has been your experiences with this. I have the original EHC. I am ordering the RIP EHC this week. I have the original EHC still in and it has been intermittently giving me trouble over the last decade. By the way also... the tach is now not working and the flashers come on.

Think this is the EHC?

Cheers
Replace your CR's
http://www.bigdogbiker.com/threads/how-to-cr-replacement.81615/

dentdude36

Banned
you can make sure the releases are working by holding fingers on them while starting they should stay down as long as your holding the start button, a simple bench test really is useless because they may be weak and pop back up during a start

bigkelk9

Best bet to check ur CR is by disconnecting ur Spade connector to your starter and hitting ur start button, they will pop simultaneously without engaging the starter. I would start there first.

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
Best bet to check ur CR is by disconnecting ur Spade connector to your starter and hitting ur start button, they will pop simultaneously without engaging the starter. I would start there first.
To check them accurately they must be removed, my old ones were functioning normal, stayed down as long as the start button was pressed. However once I removed the back cylinder CR it was broken in the mid point of the CR and therefore not functioning.

BWG56

Guru
That's some what true but not a real world test because it has no compression coming against it.