Ernie12

I agree, you are creating your own anxiety. Learn to relax and chill. I seriously doubt big dog is going to screw you. if they were going out of business, why did they just buy a bigger building to move into.
And why trade a bike in. You know you're getting a lot less than you could by selling it yourself. The time you have put in on here could have been used selling it;).

and there you go :oldthumbsup:

PROFLYER

SWOLE
But the thing is it most likely isn't worth 20k, you'd have to get the VIN number and see what your insurance company will give you if it were totaled out.

That's its true worth and value.

The owner/dealer should consider this, what's something worth that nobody wants to buy?
If you think your 2019 that's going to run you 40k will be worth anymore than 15-20k in a total loss once it's even slightly 'used', you're not thinking this through. What's the book? What are they selling for on cycletrader etc? That's how insurance companies determine value. Your policy states that they have to return you to 'pre-loss condition' and if they can get you a 'used' 2019 for 20k, that's all you're going to get.

Ernie12

It has to be done this way otherwise I get clobbered on the taxes, its supposed to minimize tax implications for you when you register the new motorcycle and provide proper chain-of-title...
You are right about that you will get credit for your trade-in. Example:$40k for new bike $20k trade-in then only pay tax on $20k Right ?

MossBerg590

Have you contacted Big Dog directly and voiced your concerns and see what they say?
You also say that your doing it this way to save on tax, but if you think about it..the dealer isnt gonna give you what your bike is worth for a trade in, so if you just sell your bike and get that extra 4k+, you will cover the "Extra" tax and then some more than likely.

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
It has to be done this way otherwise I get clobbered on the taxes, its supposed to minimize tax implications for you when you register the new motorcycle and provide proper chain-of-title...
Trade in and down payments are all tallied towards the actual sale price. There is no honest way to lower the a total sale price other than a discounted sale. How long have you been in the market:(

In Arkansas if you sell your bike or automobile within 30 days of purchasing a new one, you can deduct the taxes from your purchase. Just like you traded it in to a dealer. The state will send you a check

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
Maybe you could move to another state to get a better deal on taxes? :oldhardlaugh::oldhardlaugh::oldhardlaugh:

It’s like I would love to move back to California and build the same house I have here but it would cost 3.5 Million dollars.......no, hold on wait a minute, if I have to pay taxes. Ah, never mind, I’ll stay in Louisiana with my $190,000 dollar house.

Crap, I don’t think I’m thinking right....I’ll have to give up my coffee!

So in the end can we assume “What would you do” translates to give up coffee as the solution?

Last edited:

TapioK

Reading back from 2008 you were having the same problems about deciding what to do. Did you ever make the deal back then?
Sorry all but That was hilarious no offense. and for some sick reason it made me think about Big Dog 2030. Electric Chopper maybe. Is it gonna be El Dog or El Perro? It’s night and I really should sleep instead of reading and laughing 10 years old posts.

Last edited:

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Reading back from 2008 you were having the same problems about deciding what to do. Did you ever make the deal back then?
Wow lol....i want even wait on good shit over 5 minutes...lol maybe one day he will find the right one or maybe not...

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
Wow, ten years trying to decide what to do! Might as well wait another 10 years....Hopefully, you aren’t a 911 operator or make important decisions!

Reactions: LHS

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
Wow, ten years trying to decide what to do! Might as well wait another 10 years....Hopefully, you aren’t a 911 operator or make important decisions!

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member