Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

WHAT TO DO IF THE STARTER WON'T TURN

Discussion in 'How-To' started by Moespeeds, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Active Member

My Bike(s):
    05 Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Pete
    Hello,

I was getting the click sound also, this site said to ck the solenoid. I decided to replace the guts just to be sure it wasnt the problem. I installed the slam button form WildSteelWorx. I read somewhere on here that the key is no longer needed to start the bike if it has the button. Thats another subject. Anyway, without the key, I pressed the slam button and the engine spun over about 10 times fast. I then inserted the key and tried the slam button again...now the starter seems to be hung up on something. It doesnt turn over at all. I believe the hang up is mechanical, not electrical. But everything seems to sound like normal. I tried to start button on the bars and same problem. Im going to figure it out tomorrow, but some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

chubs likes this.
  2. Coolbreezin

My Bike(s):
    05 Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Pete
    I spoke to another rider and he explained that the piston stops at the point where the most resistance is...the compression stroke. So that explains why it seems to "hang up". My questions is how do you guys get the slam button to turn the motor over? Ive been pushing one of the compression releases down while I initially hit the slam button. Any ideas? Thank you.

chubs likes this.
  3. Moespeeds

Moespeeds Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 Big Dog Chopper, 2011? Redneck Monoshock, 2003 Roadstar Midnight, 2000 Roadstar Custom
    Wire the compression releases to the post on the starter side of the assembly. In the last picture that says "use a wire not your fingers" it's the post that my thumb is resting on. Now whenever you hit the slam button, and as long as it is held down, the compression releases will stay open.

chubs and francoblay1 like this.
  4. Coolbreezin

My Bike(s):
    05 Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Pete
    I do not have a wiring diagram for my bike. As Moespeeds directed, Im wanting to attach my comp release wire to the starter post. My question for yall is, can anyone tell me which wire is the correct one? If you have a picture of the wire/harness that would be most helpful. Thank you for your help.

chubs likes this.
  5. Coolbreezin

My Bike(s):
    05 Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Pete
    Does anyone know which wire is the one Im to attach to the solenoid post so my comp releases open when I hit the slam button? Thank you in advance for your help.

chubs likes this.
  6. KaptinAmerika

KaptinAmerika Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 Big Dog K9
    First Name:
    Curtis
    So is Moe saying disconnect the comp release wore from the EHC circuit and wrote it directly to the starter post?

chubs likes this.
  7. Coolbreezin

My Bike(s):
    05 Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Pete
    Hey Kapt. Thats just it, Im a little lost as to where this "comp release wire" is. I dont have a wire diagram so I have absolutely no idea where to start. My electrical knowledge is minimal, but I could accomplish the task if given a little more direction.

chubs likes this.
  8. Moespeeds

My Bike(s):
    2004 Big Dog Chopper, 2011? Redneck Monoshock, 2003 Roadstar Midnight, 2000 Roadstar Custom
    Do a forum or google search for the wiring diagram for your bike. Or just cut the wires up at the compression releases and run new wires down to the starter. The idea behind this is that when you press the slam button, it closes the switch and energizes the starter motor side post. If you wire the compression releases to this post, then every time the post is energized, and the starter motor is turning, the compression releases will open.

chubs likes this.
  9. Moespeeds

My Bike(s):
    And your bike will not start with the ignition off. You can turn over the starter, but without the key in and the run button pressed, the plugs will not fire.

chubs likes this.
  10. Coolbreezin

My Bike(s):
    05 Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Pete
    Moespeeds, thank you for the quick reply.
    1) I figured the comment of starting w/o the key was odd. I didnt believe it but Im not verse in the v-twin world. So the engine/tranny/starter design is still somewhat uncharted territory for me.
    2) I appreciate you and Kapt jumping in and helping me. I did find another thread in here that shows the connection number on the EHC. I think Ill take yr advice and rewire from the comp release area.

chubs likes this.
  11. Coolbreezin

My Bike(s):
    05 Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Pete
    wire gauge for comp releases

Anyone out there offer a little advice on the gauge wire to use to rewire the comp releases? I looked very close at the wires coming from my heads and also asked a NAPA guy what he thought they may be. It appears the insulation and opaque cover over the wires gives the impression that they are a much heavier gauge.

chubs likes this.
  12. Moespeeds

My Bike(s):
    18ga is fine

chubs likes this.
  13. spadesluck

spadesluck Active Member

My Bike(s):
    05 Chopper DT
    First Name:
    Jason
    i just rewired my compression releases over the weekend. I used 18ga wire no problem.

chubs likes this.
  14. francoblay1

francoblay1 The Spaniard

My Bike(s):
    K9 (2006)
    First Name:
    Franco
    Guys,

Could you do a "How To" on this subject? It would be awesome! :up:

:cheers:

Big D Florida and chubs like this.
  15. Coolbreezin

My Bike(s):
    05 Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Pete
    Hello all,

Just wanted to say thanks for the info regarding my rewiring my C/R's. Did it this morning and it works like a champ. Hopefully this resolves my breaking jackshafts.

chubs likes this.
  16. Moespeeds

My Bike(s):
    If you're breaking jackshafts make sure your ring gear is in good condition, and the starter is not cracked at either of the two ears where the bolts attach it to the inner primary.

chubs likes this.
  17. Coolbreezin

My Bike(s):
    05 Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Pete
    Tampa BDM determined the inner primary case (hole for pinion gear) was not cut correctly and it cause the jackshaft to wobble (so to speak) when I pressed the Start button. This R&R was after 7 starter replacements. Since then Ive broken 4 more jackshafts due to my own carelessness (rolling while starting, so on). However, and I feel this is odd, but I have not had a single "slam" sound or broken shaft since I got the slam button. My Starter button died, so the slam button is my primary Start button now.

chubs likes this.
  18. Moespeeds

My Bike(s):
    When you start the bike the conventional way, with the button on the handlebars, you may not get a good positive engagement. Anyone who has ever taken the side cover off their starter sees how the copper contacts are covered with arc strikes and soot from poor or partial engagement. This transfers all the way to the end of that jackshaft which could end up skipping across the ring gear teeth. The best way to start a big bike is with that slam button. As long as there is enough juice, the starter has no choice but to turn, and the jackshaft is held firmly in place by the pressure you put on the button.

chubs likes this.
  19. Coolbreezin

My Bike(s):
    05 Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Pete
    Well said Moespeed, and that is exactly what I am experiencing. So I gave up on the Start button.

chubs likes this.
  20. jdotto

jdotto Member

My Bike(s):
    big dog k9
    this forum always has an answer!

thanks for the information.my 07 k9 was acting up today.followed your instructions and i guess i need a starter. could be worse.Can they be rebuilt? thanks again:up:

chubs likes this.