What The Best Bang For The Buck hp gain.

Cecil

What should my first Mod be on my 100'' S&S/Super G carb be? Trying to get 5 to 10 hp gain. Thanks guys any suggestions would be helpful.

V

Guru
First thing I would do is call S&S with your engine serial number to find out what all you have in there. (mainly cam and compression) If I remember correctly AIH was using bascilly stock S&S engines. They started using the 100 cu in 08. So cam, tuning, exhaust, maybe head work and or compression bump would all build more power but it would be good to know what ya got before you order new parts. Alos check to see what ignition you have, a tunable igntion will also help.

Jersey James

Jersey James
First thing I would do is call S&S with your engine serial number to find out what all you have in there. (mainly cam and compression) If I remember correctly AIH was using bascilly stock S&S engines. They started using the 100 cu in 08. So cam, tuning, exhaust, maybe head work and or compression bump would all build more power but it would be good to know what ya got before you order new parts. Alos check to see what ignition you have, a tunable igntion will also help.
Great Advice. Carb, cam, exhaust. Bring the air in, mix it up, and let it out. Bang for the buck? Can't go wrong with a Triple X modified carburetor.

toadstool

I am not trying to be a smart ass by any means, but if I were you I would leave the motor alone. You will barely notice a 5 or 10 hp gain. What it will do is start a cascade of chasing your tail trying to get the bike running as good as before you ever messed with it. I am speaking from experience and spending over ten thousand dollars on my motor. I wish I would have bought the bike and left it alone. However, if you decide to do some work, I found that that a good intake and 2:1 exhaust is a start. I personally found that the mikuni HSR48 carb flows the best for my set up. Toss in a cam to use the newly found air and fuel and call it a day.
As for the best bang for the buck.... I got a 50 hp for $1200 - nitrous.

V

Guru
I am not trying to be a smart ass by any means, but if I were you I would leave the motor alone. You will barely notice a 5 or 10 hp gain. What it will do is start a cascade of chasing your tail trying to get the bike running as good as before you ever messed with it. I am speaking from experience and spending over ten thousand dollars on my motor. I wish I would have bought the bike and left it alone. However, if you decide to do some work, I found that that a good intake and 2:1 exhaust is a start. I personally found that the mikuni HSR48 carb flows the best for my set up. Toss in a cam to use the newly found air and fuel and call it a day.
As for the best bang for the buck.... I got a 50 hp for $1200 - nitrous.
I siad the same thing to justify to myself my 2nd Big Dog purchase. Was going to ride it, cruise and leave it alone. Well that lasted about 30 days:rolleyes:. But I agree with the statement.

Get some pipes and a correct tune and ride. Ask Raywood (approaching 100k miles) on his 05 chop.

Cecil

Thanks for the advice, im surprised by how well it runs,but was thinking about down the road, i have a two into one exhaust now, and i only have 1700miles on it so far. I just wanted to know what you guys think, even know it a AIH, i love this big dog site.

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
First things first...definitely exhaust and carb, but after that, I found the Thunderheart Ignition lit up my K9. Could not believe the difference. Best $300 I ever spent.

firedog19

If you want to increase throttle response and over all performance put a Yost power tube in it. It only takes about 10 minutes.

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
2 into 1 exhaust
Improved/increased air intake
Rejet the carb.
X2 I have always found the right pipes and jets are the right move to make. After that, it is how much money and what is the goal. If it runs well, leave it alone after you get the right pipes and jets. Two into one is better on performance.