WELL IT FINALLY HAPPENED TO ME!

txchopperguy

Beautiful day in S.E. Texas today, out for a spin on the bike...going to visit some customers and friends. While pulling into the parking lot with the clutch lever pulled in I feel a slight "tink" in my left hand...and now the clutch lever has extra play and the clutch is out of adjustment.:confused:

Can only be one thing...damn clutch cable is about to let go.:down:

I take care of my visit, get on the highway to head straight home, and sure enough about six blocks from the house "pop"...no clutch lever. At least I had some warning, sounds like many of you fellas just got slapped outta the blue.

This is the first clutch cable I have had break on me...8780 miles on it. I suppose it's not too bad, considering.

Let the fun begin...:bang:

Sorry to hear....I have over 13,000 miles on my cable. Every time I ride now I exspect it to break. Was thinking about just changing it out before it breaks, but I've heard of people not getting many more miles out of the new cable. Guess I'll just ride it till it goes

T.Byrd

Thats really not that good eather TX, 8700 miles a lot of us put that may on ever summer and a clutch cable ever summer don't sound that great to me. I've got 18,000 on mine and have put 3 on mine. I'm not happy about it I just do it.

snake1962

Alright don't rip me up, but since I've never had a clutch cable break yet on any bike I've owned or ridin', what or how do you stop without hurtin the tranny or engine? Shut it off, coast to stop or what?

txchopperguy

You hope you don't hit any red lights on the way home!

Actually I did. Hitting neutral coming out of first without a clutch isn't hard, fortunately. Rev it a bit and let it coast and nudge the lever...should slip right in.

The only thing I knew to do to get it back in first gear, was to get the bike rolling and slip it in gear. Fortunately I only had to do it twice, and the engine was fairly close to being at idle both times....so hopefully no gear damage.

txchopperguy

Damn...crazy thought just came to me...well that happens alot but I can actually share this one!

I guess it is a good thing that I didn't make it to the Lone Star Rally...since the clutch cable broke that means it would have happened on that trip...and been MUCH worse.