Washing the dog...

Energy One

Ray

I got caught in the rain, like the rain, rain once. I completely wiped it off as soon as it rolled into the gargage,, back pack blower , Etc. I don't wash mine like I would my truck. I wipe it down with spa towels,,, rub the finger prints off my fingers with billet polish rubbing and rubbing, and rubbing. I blow the dust off it with the air hose if I see any dust on it. I waxed the paint off my last pick up truck literally. I wax and polish the scooter a lot as well just particular with the water after all the electrical issues I have had to correct where the person I got it from left it out in the weather. I didn't clean up perfect like most of these guys scooters stay al the time. It is a kinda rescue dog and I will treat it better than the previous owner for sure.

Recomends Spa towels whatever you are polishing! Usually at Auto Zone but found some at Harbor Frieght yesterday cheaper!

Ray :2thumbs:

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
I wipe my bike off (dry it with those Wal-Mart Drying Towels) after riding in the rain. I do the same with my wife's Corvette. If it is dirty, I use Spray and Shine. Otherwise, I use Mothers/Meguires detail spray or Stripper Juice for light dust, etc.

outdoorsman26

I use a 50-50 mix water and liquid laundry detergent you can see the greese and dirt run off the bike!! I dont use it on the paint

Trainguy

Chromeoholic
I power wash mine for a good clean appearance. I really hit the hand controls and under the tank area. Then I will take the seat off a spray the battery and that black and gold blinking thing that's in there buy it. Then towel it:2thumbs: Been doing it this way for almost 5 years.

P. S. I have not been able to get my bike started in 5 years but it looks new:2thumbs::roll:

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
I power wash mine for a good clean appearance. I really hit the hand controls and under the tank area. Then I will take the seat off a spray the battery and that black and gold blinking thing that's in there buy it. Then towel it:2thumbs: Been doing it this way for almost 5 years.

P. S. I have not been able to get my bike started in 5 years but it looks new:2thumbs::roll:
That is too funny.:roll::roll::roll:

gordon

I wash my 07 mastiff all the time with a product called --- Bike Bright --- pump spray it on the entire bike and rinse it off with a garden hose the blow dry with my leaf blower -- no problems for me.

BATMAN2696

I have a plant type pump sprayer that I put a gallon of distilled water in. I use it to spary a particular part of the bike starting at the top and working my way down. I have a hand spray bottle that has distilled water and car wash in it. I spay some soap, clean with the sponge, then rinse with the sprayer. Distilled water leaves no spots even if I miss some water when I am drying it.

Sounds like an old post on here. I wash the bike with a hose all the time. Some have touched on the weatherproofing already heatshrink etc.. something I do while washing is plastic bag the hand controls, cover the battery tray with plastic, and cover the air filter with a plastic bag (spike). This has worked for me.

Fibersnake

Banjo Playing PsychoBilly
Have washed mine many times and rode many miles in the rain. Normally first spray every thing with S100 to get the grease and road grime off being careful around the hand control and tach/speedometer. After a good spray with S100, washing ti down with hose on gentle flow, no pressure type spray just open slow flow. I will then follow that up with Mr. Clean car wash system, first with the soap section, and use a micro fiber to give a wet wipe down, rinse, then the spot dry stuff (all this is on the Mr. Clean gun/system). Then a quick blow down with lawn blower with a nylon stocking over the end just to make sure that I do blow some hidden debris on it it.

After that S100 carnuba wax, and occasionally break out the Mother Billet and do the billet. For touch up, I will do a quick wipe down with microfiber and Turtle Wax detail spray.

Only issue I have ever had with washing or rain, was the occasional fogging of old style speedometer or the annuciator lights flicker for a bit until all dried up. No issue since switching to Dakota Digital with the fogging, on annuciator, very seldom will lights flicker unless it is heavy prolonged rain, always dries up and stops after getting heat to dry out. Having a 05, I have the annuciator and speedometer more open to the element in the back due to it is mounted in center consul and the back side is exposed.

8 years old, still going strong and though it may not be show room perfect (mainly due to little swirls from jackets and gear hear and there), not shy of rain and never let spending huge amount of time to do great clean up and spotless one stop me from enjoying such time more on the road and riding.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
what is hazardous is getting the electrical wet. wheels shouldn't be a problem as long as you get the water off before they start spotting.

TimNY

I hit my bike with a hose, bucket o suds, wash mit , more hosen ,
I hose at high pressure everywhere. Just like washing a car . Then fire up
the leaf blower for a quick spot free dry .
Didn't know Choppers were so sensitive .

francoblay1

The Spaniard
I bought boxes of stuff to keep the bike clean.... and I tried to train my wife on how to keep my Dog clean.... I have NOT been successful yet... and I will never be.... so... water hose and rugs will be! :up:

:cheers:

PS: It is a working Dog.... not a "show" Dog (even though it is a show off Dog.... she doesnt need to be clean to get all the attention wherever I am taking her! :D

francoblay1

The Spaniard
I bought boxes of stuff to keep the bike clean.... and I tried to train my wife on how to keep my Dog clean.... I have NOT been successful yet... and I will never be.... so... water hose and rugs will be! :up:

:cheers:

PS: It is a working Dog.... not a "show" Dog (even though it is a show off Dog.... she doesn't need to be clean to get all the attention wherever I am taking her! :D