Voltage Regulator Recall

Energy One

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Fibersnake first posted and has a pick or link of the recall.

I spoke with Bob at BDM (the new Scott who was the new Ron). He was great with helping out with a problem I had. But anyway, on this subject.

The VR recall effects all 2005 and some 2006 dogs. There is a HUGE and LONG back order on the VR. So if yours is one, the sooner you get in the claim the better.

Here's how you find out if you're VR is a bad dog.

Remove the 2 - 7/16" hex bolts holding up the VR under the front motor mount. Of coarse this is on my 2006 chopper so location may vary.

Then look at the back of the VR. There will be 3 rows of numbers/letters. On the third row the first two numbers

04 & 05 = bad dog
06 and greater = good dog

As you can see because I had my VR replaced in March of this year I'm all good!

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
The info from Fibersnake...
fibersnake said:
Just saw on another site that BD has a new recall out for many models from 2005 and 2006. It is for the voltage regulator on some of the models.

It appears that those effected will be getting letters soon for the recall is expected to start around Oct. If you are in to the stealer and have one of the possible models, now may be a good time to hit them up and get it out of the way (if yours is one) instead of waiting.

Here is the info link to the NHTSA

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls

Just drill down through the sub menus to get to the Big Dog. The recall number is 07V356000

Here is a basic overview snapshot of the issue

kickstart

Looks like we have to call out there every week to find out who's who. Thanks for the heads up, I spent many hrs talking to Scott about side cover issues and now I will have to start over again.

Well Scott replaced Ron who left to be a school teacher. Bob replaced Scott who left to work for Boieng (plane company)

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Lifetime Supporting Member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Supporting Member
Thanks for the info.

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
Rather than adding stuff to the Dog, I would rather strip it down a bit more. But where? It looks so perfect now.

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
As of about 10-14-07 there was a 3-4 week back order out on the VR's. Mine took exactly 4 weeks to the day.

All good now! Runs fine!

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
This is bull crapolie from the biggest builder of customs in the country!!:flag:
Like I said before, what if Ford or GM said this shit? :down:
Never heard this shit from Honda??
I know I know Shut the F up.... You right. I love my shaken stallin pouckin POS!!!! :cheers: :2thumbs:

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
This is bull crapolie from the biggest builder of customs in the country!!:flag:
Like I said before, what if Ford or GM said this shit? :down:
Never heard this shit from Honda??
I know I know Shut the F up.... You right. I love my shaken stallin pouckin POS!!!! :cheers: :2thumbs:

:roll:

Dirtgirl

VR recall - new correction

Well - now that all of you have been waiting months for the elusive new voltage regulators from BD ( and the HD parts won't work - they're only 32amp) they've gone and changed the fix. :bang: Evidently the VR isn't the source of the issue, the circuit breaker is. We did a repair on what I know to be the first bike to suffer the fire :angry: from the failure... and a few since. We're looking at installing a new circuit breaker now - luckilly there are plenty available... almost. All us dealers get 10 at a time. We're supposed to recive 10 kits on the 7th of December, as are many dealers. Thanks to Raywood :2thumbs: for giving me a call about this so I could straighten it all out with Big Dog. Now... I'm off to have a Guiness or 3 - have a great weekend! :cheers:

seatmaker

Gotta jump on BBChop's bandwagon. Just saw this post, went out to the garage, dug through the freakin tool box for 5 minutes before gettin pissed off and just dumping it on the floor, found a 7/16 deepwell, popped off the VR and of course, Im F'd, an 05. Ya know, I can handle the vibrating, falling off, shits gonna happen with a custom, but DEFECTIVE PARTS I CAN'T TOLERATE. :damnit:

Last edited: