This is what happens when you use the wrong oil filter.....

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
I believe it is "K & N 170 c" for K&N filter in chrome; (not "P" unless K&P re-useable filter...)
or Harley EVO 30 micron oil filter part# 63796-77A. been using the Harley oil filters for 14 years in my S&S 107 with no problems for 45,000+ miles.
right you are, Fat, and thank you. K&N is one time and throw away, K&P is high price up front and wash for re-use.

MossBerg590

If you do the math, let's say changing the filter every 6 months, it would take 12 years of the replacing k&n before you got to the price of the k&p and that's not including cleaner or the mess of cleaning it. Doesn't seem worth the price and hassle in my opinion.

pauly

Going to a Harley shop (i live hundred and fifty miles from one) or buying oil filter in advance
is a hassle for me so reusable filter is great and washing it is no problem at all.

Paul.

TapioK

Going to a Harley shop (i live hundred and fifty miles from one) or buying oil filter in advance
is a hassle for me so reusable filter is great and washing it is no problem at all.

Paul.
Amazon etc ?

FrankBDPS

I have the reusable filter on my 107. It has a finned aluminum housing which provides some extra cooling capacity. Cleaning it is no big deal plus you get to see what is coming out of you're engine without the mess of cutting open a can type filter. Plus it looks much cooler. To each his own! Ride safe.

BWG56

Guru
If you do the math, let's say changing the filter every 6 months, it would take 12 years of the replacing k&n before you got to the price of the k&p and that's not including cleaner or the mess of cleaning it. Doesn't seem worth the price and hassle in my opinion.
X2thumbs up.jpg

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Well for those of us that are changing oil 4 or 5 times a year(sometimes 6), plus the CERTAINTY that you always have the right filter.
When I had this happen on my BMC years ago, it was the right box but it had the wrong filter in it! Blew oil out the carb insanely -- made a huge mess but not catastrophic failure.
After that I wanted some certainty that it would not happen again, hence for the peace of mind it's worth it to me!

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
Well for those of us that are changing oil 4 or 5 times a year(sometimes 6), plus the CERTAINTY that you always have the right filter.
When I had this happen on my BMC years ago, it was the right box but it had the wrong filter in it! Blew oil out the carb insanely -- made a huge mess but not catastrophic failure.
After that I wanted some certainty that it would not happen again, hence for the peace of mind it's worth it to me!
Very good point, Mike. Plus you can carefully inspect what gets trapped in the filter every time you change the oil.
I just got a Sifton last week from Wildsteedworx for $80-85, less than half what I paid for the K&P in Sturgis several years ago. I cannot see any difference between the two. Curtis had it in Kansas in about 3 days. Must have sent it the same day as I ordered it.