Tank vent tube leak

jbk641

Need Help,,,,,,
I just had a new custom stretched tank painted installed and painted. It has a single fill hole that has a metal tube from the cap (airplane cap) to the bottom of the tank which serves as the air vent. On the outside and bottom of the tank it attaches to a rubber hose that runs to the back of the bike to vent air is suspect.......After recently getting the tank painted and reinstalled I drove it around...filled the tank back up and gas sprayed out the sides of the cap....siphoned out a gallon and it stop spraying out....PROBLEM is that after inspection there is a small hole in the metal tube that runs from the fill hole to the bottom of the tank..Its near the bottom,,(an is not leaking outside or near the bottom). I followed this rubber tube to the back of the bike and there is a one way connecting valve seemed to be on backwards..cause when I took it off fuel came out and kept coming out...this is how I determined that there was a hole in the metal vent tube that is in the gas tank.......So,,,,,, here are my questions:

1. what is the one way connector and why does it seem to be backwards
2. How else can I vent the tank without venting out this metal tube that has a hole in it..
3. Is there a different cap that I can use that will vent without sprayin fuel out.

4. Can I drain the tank and somehow patch this small hole and what would one use to patch metal that will be sitting in gasoline constantly????
5. Is there another way to remedy this.....??

Currently the the vent tube would be draining my tank of gasoline if the connecting tube was turned around ( I tested this theory and it drained fast)

Also...the temporary fix is If I keep the tank half way filled it doesnt spray out and seems to find a way to vent out through the cap without issues...only a tiny bit of gas leaks out the cap.....

If anyone has ANY Ideas on how to remedy this please email me jbk641@yahoo.com or call 316-640-3439 ( I just did a a $2700 paint job so I do not want scrap the tank just yet)

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Need Help,,,,,,
I just had a new custom stretched tank painted installed and painted. It has a single fill hole that has a metal tube from the cap (airplane cap) to the bottom of the tank which serves as the air vent. On the outside and bottom of the tank it attaches to a rubber hose that runs to the back of the bike to vent air is suspect.......After recently getting the tank painted and reinstalled I drove it around...filled the tank back up and gas sprayed out the sides of the cap....siphoned out a gallon and it stop spraying out....PROBLEM is that after inspection there is a small hole in the metal tube that runs from the fill hole to the bottom of the tank..Its near the bottom,,(an is not leaking outside or near the bottom). I followed this rubber tube to the back of the bike and there is a one way connecting valve seemed to be on backwards..cause when I took it off fuel came out and kept coming out...this is how I determined that there was a hole in the metal vent tube that is in the gas tank.......So,,,,,, here are my questions:

1. what is the one way connector and why does it seem to be backwards
2. How else can I vent the tank without venting out this metal tube that has a hole in it..
3. Is there a different cap that I can use that will vent without sprayin fuel out.

4. Can I drain the tank and somehow patch this small hole and what would one use to patch metal that will be sitting in gasoline constantly????
5. Is there another way to remedy this.....??

Currently the the vent tube would be draining my tank of gasoline if the connecting tube was turned around ( I tested this theory and it drained fast)

Also...the temporary fix is If I keep the tank half way filled it doesnt spray out and seems to find a way to vent out through the cap without issues...only a tiny bit of gas leaks out the cap.....

If anyone has ANY Ideas on how to remedy this please email me jbk641@yahoo.com or call 316-640-3439 ( I just did a a $2700 paint job so I do not want scrap the tank just yet)
Plug the vent at the bottom of the tank and run a vented gas cap. The tube was/is for Kalifornia emissions, it's supposed to vent to the charcoal collector.

:cheers:

jbk641

Leak in tank vent tube

Ok,, the connector must be a charcoal canister. Either way, if its on backwards I guess Im glad cause if it was switched around it would be leaking gasoline till the tank was empty..So with that being said I will remove it entirely or turn it back around when the leak gets fixed..

The comment to plug the ventube and use a vented cap.......
Would using JB weld on the outside of the tank close the hole adequately and safely????

Also the cap is an airplane cap(vented) I guess since fuel sprayed out with the cap on then air also could escape out if it was to pressurized??? There is 1-2 mm opening in the top when the cap goes that is attached to the metal drain vent....I guess I could seal that shut and drill a separate hole of the same size near the 12 oclock position and line the hole in the cap with it or near it???

Also, the tank liner was a white substance that was used..do you know what gets it off...I was told the red sealer comes off with ketone but not sure about the white sealer..

Ive seen peanut tanks with no vent or overflow except a tiny hole in the side of the cap..I guess the tank doesnt really need much to properly vent???

Thanks for the help

Jason

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Ok,, the connector must be a charcoal canister. Either way, if its on backwards I guess Im glad cause if it was switched around it would be leaking gasoline till the tank was empty..So with that being said I will remove it entirely or turn it back around when the leak gets fixed..

The comment to plug the ventube and use a vented cap.......
Would using JB weld on the outside of the tank close the hole adequately and safely????

Also the cap is an airplane cap(vented) I guess since fuel sprayed out with the cap on then air also could escape out if it was to pressurized??? There is 1-2 mm opening in the top when the cap goes that is attached to the metal drain vent....I guess I could seal that shut and drill a separate hole of the same size near the 12 oclock position and line the hole in the cap with it or near it???

Also, the tank liner was a white substance that was used..do you know what gets it off...I was told the red sealer comes off with ketone but not sure about the white sealer..

Ive seen peanut tanks with no vent or overflow except a tiny hole in the side of the cap..I guess the tank doesnt really need much to properly vent???

Thanks for the help

Jason
No, the charcoal cannister was a large thing down by the VR. Do you have a Kalifornia model bike?
Follow the back vent line back up to the tank and you will find it comes out of the tank on the lower right side. Drain the tank and pull that fitting and put a plug in it. Then you just let the cap do the venting.

:cheers:

jbk641

Vent

Ok,,no charcoal cannister but some plastic device with two male ends,,its sealed, sounds like a ball valve inside. air or fuel only pass one direction through it. The the vent tube exits the bottom of the tank via a welded metal elbow in which a rubber tube attaches..the tube run the length of the bike connects to this on way valve (why I dont Know) and then hangs near the rear wheel well....

Once I remove the hose from the tank I am left with a metal elbow... I imagine I can put JB weld in and around the opening to this......

Yes it is a california bike btw..

Jason

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Ok,,no charcoal cannister but some plastic device with two male ends,,its sealed, sounds like a ball valve inside. air or fuel only pass one direction through it. The the vent tube exits the bottom of the tank via a welded metal elbow in which a rubber tube attaches..the tube run the length of the bike connects to this on way valve (why I dont Know) and then hangs near the rear wheel well....

Once I remove the hose from the tank I am left with a metal elbow... I imagine I can put JB weld in and around the opening to this......

Yes it is a california bike btw..

Jason
The elbow on the tank is just screwed in. Remove it and replace it with a plug. You can find these are your local auto parts store. If I remember right it's just a 1/4" plug. I would imagine some one put a check valve on the end to ensure debris didn't get back up to the tank.
I still have the hose on mine (kalifornia model) and run it back behind the tranny but it's just left open. If anything pull that valve off the end of the hose and leave.

:2thumbs:

Okay, I am looking at doing this for the dual tanks 04 pitbull. my bike for some reason has been shutting off on occasion and would like to start looking at this problem 1st. Is the vent plug the line that runs from the bottom of the tank to the Carb with the hose ??? if so do I remove and plug this line?? there is also a hose that connects the 2 tanks at the top of the tank under the panel??

mobsta

paul,your tanks are like mine,yes theres the hose that connects to eah side of the tank,theres another hose back towards the seat that goes to the check valve,my bike is a calif. bike with all the emissions crap off.all my carb fittings are capped off,vaccum lines etc.mobsta:cheers:

Okay, Mobsta now you are messing me up. So the line that runs from the tank to the Carb is the line that should be removed and capped if there is a venting issue?? I am not saying this is the problem just trying to find out why the bike has died on me twice. I have went through the electrical system also but need to narrow the problem down to see if it is a fuel issue vice an electrical issue.