Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

starting problems

Discussion in 'Ignition / Electronics / Batteries' started by 1baddawg, Jun 10, 2012.

1. 1baddawg

1baddawg Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 bid dog chopper
    I have an 04 chopper, turn the ignition on and everything powers up but when i hit the start button there is nothing.

#1 1baddawg, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  2. Little-Boo

Little-Boo Well-Known Member
    Troop Supporter Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2013 Tri-Gluide, 2006 Mastiff, several Mods to many to list
    First Name:
    Carlos
    The Green wire on the side of the solenoid plugged in, make sure it didn't fall off. Could be your right hand control circuit board.

Carlos :whoop:

3. 1baddawg

1baddawg Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 bid dog chopper
    turn signals, horn and headlight works, just not the start button. all grounds are cleaned and tight.

4. 1baddawg

1baddawg Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 bid dog chopper
    ok i have taken the circuit board off and under the run button was some white powder residue, that was cleaned but still nothing

5. Little-Boo

Little-Boo Well-Known Member
    Troop Supporter Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2013 Tri-Gluide, 2006 Mastiff, several Mods to many to list
    First Name:
    Carlos
  6. 1baddawg

1baddawg Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 bid dog chopper
    will do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for your help

7. 1baddawg

1baddawg Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 bid dog chopper
    Ok I installed a direct drive starter cap, hit the plunger and the bike turn over and kept turning over, i had un hook the battery to stop it. ok obvisiously i am doing something wrong. what the hell ??????????????????????

8. mariovitanza

mariovitanza New Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 big dog (chopper)
    I have an 04 Big Dog Chopper, a few weeks ago it shut down while I was cruising at 35 - 45 MPG for no reason, several times. Took it to a local bike mechanic and of course he could not get it to stall out. Got the bike back went on a good 500 mile road trip, ran beautiful !! I figured the problem was solved. P.S. While on this road trip the headlight went out, check old bulb (bulb checks good on bench check), put back on bike(does not work), bench checks good again, purchased new bulb, does not work on bike. Then all of a sudden the stalling problem is back, starts, runs a few seconds then cuts out, and does not start again after a few more starts and cutting out (battery is new !!). If I let it sit overnight it starts again a few mote times then refuses to start at all (no spark at spark plugs). The red light by the silver box where the troublrshooting plug is plugged in does not turn red until the bike is running, when it stalls out the red light on this box shuts off.......................Help what should I look for, most bike shops do not want to touch these bikes for some reason. HELP !! HELP !!

9. Dakotabos

Dakotabos Admin
    Staff Member Supporting Member Calendar Participant

My Bike(s):
    2004 Big Dog Chopper (Wired Old School)
    Did you buy the right slam button? If you push it in to far it will stick. What I would do 1st is take the slam button back off grab yourself a wooden dowel (Or plastic handle screw driver) and push the plunger in WITH KEY OFF. Check for smooth travel. Check your internal plunger and make sure is ok no gouges. Ok if that all checked ok lets fire it up (With Out the Slam Button installed) and cover removed)) Turn key on Hit Stop Hit Run now push the internal plunger in with the dowel or the plastic screw driver. when the bike fires up take the dowel back (the internal plunger with rattle out no worries)

Is there an adjustment on your new slam Button?

As for your starter
    You might have corroded magnets and may need to have the starter rebuilt (Not that expensive and pretty straight forward how to) It on the site here in the how to. I have been using a slam button on my 04 Chopper for 3 years and has never let me down. I dont know the number off it but I will check cause I did a writeup on here back then

Let me know:cheers:

10. Dakotabos

Dakotabos Admin

My Bike(s):
  11. 1baddawg

1baddawg Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 bid dog chopper
    I supposed I bought the right slam button, I went to a previous local big dog dealer and got it. if you come across your part number it would be appreciated. When i use the slam button it doesnt matter if the key is on or not, I push the plunger and the starter engages, I have to manual pull the plunger back but it makes no difference the starter continues to spin, I have to unhook the battery.

12. hayseed

hayseed Member

My Bike(s):
    07 mastiff
    hmmmmm,, following this because i would like to get a slam switch for an 07 but it sounds to me (imho) like your solanoid is messed up although i have never seen on engage and continue to spin like yours... i would get a heavy gauge wire (jumper cable) and attach one end to the ground and just touch the other to the hot side of the starter (essentially what the slam button is doing but elimiate it out of the equation.. sounds to me like its time for a new/rebuilt starter... you can also isolate the stater by unhooking the path to the switch -- then you know if its the stater or something deeper in the harness... just a thought

13. Dakotabos

Dakotabos Admin

My Bike(s):
    OK take the slam button off pull the plunger out. Get a great flash light what you see. (Sorry 6 Gin and tonics)(Dont judge me on my typing rough week)
    If your metal in there is carroded(See) use high sand paper 400 and above and touch up inside. You may need a new starter or atleast rebuild. Pain to remove becasue more issues will be found.

Did to take the slam off and test with a PLASTIC screw driver?

14. 1baddawg

1baddawg Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 bid dog chopper
    Going to test it today, the starter is brand new, replaced it last summer and only has fifty or so miles on it. Im thinking my circuit board in my hand control is bad, my daughter informed me she was my bike and used the pressure washer. that is when the problem started.

15. Brew

Brew Troop Supporter

My Bike(s):
    08 Mastiff / 09 Softail Deluxe
    First Name:
    Rob
    Take a hair dryer to the hand controls and dry them out then try to start it again...:2thumbs:

16. Dakotabos

Dakotabos Admin

My Bike(s):
    Wish SOMEONE would make the controls for the right side. But I have not been able to find it. How did the testing go?

17. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    I was riding the other day back from ROT, and I was trying to think if you took a left hand control and flipped it why wouldn't it work for ther right side? Instead of pushing High/Low lights it will be Run/OFF etc. How would the board know the difference?

Just thinking out loud....

18. Dakotabos

Dakotabos Admin

My Bike(s):
    I took alot of classes in the past 8 months and I learned to build boards SOOOO I am going to give it a try this winter or whenever I get out of here and get my Garage in South Dakota

19. 1baddawg

1baddawg Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 bid dog chopper
    Ok inside the starter looks good, I put the slam button back on and barely pushed it and it engaged and disengaged. Very sensitive though, the next time it engaged and would not disengage. I read something on a previous post about holding down the run and off button then hitting the start at the same time , this worked it started the bike for now. But if anyone knows where i can get a right hand control board it would be greatly appreciated. Also the slam button they sold me fits but its marked on the box for a 883 sporty. Is the slam button spring operated because the one i bought is not.

20. bearman

bearman Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 Mastiff, 2007 Sportster
    the slam button just makes your existing solenoid work by mechanical activation, instead of electro-magnetic activation. The existing spring in the solenoid should push the slam button back out when you let off, if it does not, then something is wrong.

I have seen a weak battery make the starter stay engaged in a car before, more than once. Don't know why, because you would think a weak battery would not work the starter, but it does.