SHOW ME YOUR SPARK-PLUGS

Dragonslave

I have a lot of respect for Sven and his knowledge but I submit that if you have aluminum particles on your "White" porcelain plug and you keep running it that way you "ARE" going to have a shorter motor life, in some cases dramatically shorter.
Lean and mean is great if you have money or the ability and desire to wrench on your machine to keep it that way.
Otherwise lean to the side, no pun intended, of slightly richer and have some reliability instead.
Understood....Im looking for longevity. I will keep everyone updated on the progress.

francoblay1

The Spaniard
This is how the F,,g S Plugs should look for fucking Inshalla... (I hope here is no Muslin...

aoh fuck it... they are on Ramadan) Tom... BTW I am not against Religion... I hope you get your 70 Virgins... you deserve them mm Fucking Ay Bro!... I will write a letter of Recommendation for ya... lol

PS: the F Mosque in Camp is yealling on my ears.... I am trying to convert it to R&Rolllllll awwwww thank God for the "Apple Juice!

Ok now... Smile & Ride on while you can.... Life is too Short...

Trust me...

Sven

... your making assumptions about some things that he already clarified earlier do not exist i.e. leaks.
I think you have to explain to me about you taking a deep breath from one hole, fills two lungs and now look at the left plug is much cleaner... No leak? Are we having a K&N moment here? Don't make me pull up my [video] air cleaner filter puller outer and laugh it up against my cylinder walls against yours.

He stated earlier there are no leaks. There being no leaks tells me that motor is running too lean.
Show me the GRAY spit on the plugs and elsewhere. I see black and aluminum in my read says no gray, no lean damage. So lean, it's not even close calling it lean. Look at the black carbon on the steel or lean is like everything looks new.

Tell me where the aluminum, that is being deposited on the porcelain, is coming from.
That's what I'm saying... Show me. I bring up variables, not assumptions. I'm going to go after every angle of that porcelain read. Right now, we are back to the Y traveling down your throat, meaning, one gets hurt, so does the other from the say Y entry to each cylinder, yes or no, lets put the rear as the hotter one, doubt it, but for argument sake, the front cylinder is in the way and gives off heat, where the front gets the fresh cool hit. Is that dirtier plug the front? I'm going to assume as in the manifold leak, here comes the cooler plug that is a lot dirtier.

And that is just what is getting stuck to the porcelain no telling how much more is making it out of the chamber.
It was so recent a few months back, I caught the lean on the dyno. That carb(s) was acting too 18a on the read and that was more on lift. Lean on lift? That's fi in numbers, not a carb. So me reading that was me making comment and to make the story short on the dyno time, the race/mix/??/pump gas/??/something = Caused a fungus in the jets ~ Gone Lean!

We head for the track. It wasn't my money, but all that work, all those brand new parts melted. I see him come in and it's smoking out the pipe so subtle enough for me to tell him it's hurt, lets pull a plug. Yuck, what a melting/peppering/all over it in gray was the plug.

He calls me to come over the next day. We pull the carbs and it said it all. There was 'for every action' in the solid; out-the-intake-port-into-the-venturi-of-the-carb. My suspicion of that dyno AFR showed itself. I've never seen that happen back in the good gas days. Today's gas is to stay on top of it and keep it fresh.

I don't care what school of thought you adhere to that isn't a good thing no matter how great the motor seems to be running.
Yeah, so here we are with the heads off. The domes looked perfect. Then we notice the exhaust side of piston #3. Looking at #4 you'd think nothing happened. So imagine the initial look at the pistons being in great shape, nothing broken and held its integrity. Then we turned the crank to witness more cylinder wall. Yep, took the fucking skirts out. That is mother fucking LEAN. Put the bike back together and it rips like no other, won it's race and what a shakedown that was to this happy ending.

There is a balance that can be achieved on a set of plugs, if all other variables have been set right, for reliability and its not hot white porcelain with aluminum particles attached to it and a sooty base.

Juz sayin
I too hold the same respect for your input. But that bike has to eat itself within minutes if it's lean. Look at all that time in that condition are the other set of plugs and see that green stuff on the side electrodes blown off? That's a long mileage set of plugs to me and that is lean mean white nose... Where are we deep inside? So first practice he comes in, no smoke, I roll up a paper towel, bungee cord the throttle open, stick the rolled up paper towel down the carb past the rubber spigots, give a pull and clean as a whistle. Now, that is how I check for a lean condition I hurt the bike, melted the ring grooves so there is no ring compression anymore, she smokes like 2-stroke... RINGS Locked UP!

EMPIRICAL KNOWLEDGE still cooking away.... (wait for it)

So Big HINT is the OP cannot admit it smokes upon start up, it sits smoking out the pipe after a long putt. Does not use oil before it needs a change by adding more than normal loss if any; before next 3k miles?

He buys a used bike, does not smoke the day he picked it up and started it. Pulls the plugs and now ASSUMES it's lean... look at my white nose. Eyes Knows Better. OR the bike burns up, pistons cook, "she smokes metallic"... Ever smell cooked aluminum, bathed in light sweet rommy done! Lets EAT! LOL

Last edited:

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member

There's mine probably got 4-5k on them. Left is the rear it runs a bit hotter been that way since I started running the FSD pipes. My theory is it's about 1/2 as short as the front pipe so the lower back pressure makes it run leaner. It's up for debate

Dragonslave

Bike doesnt smoke just so everyone knows. Never has.

I do see what you are saying Sven. I guess I would feel different if I had the mechanical knowledge as you do. I am just trying to get different opinions and suggestions on the best way my bike can run and I appreciate your input. Thanks a bunch! This is made for a very interesting read.

pauly

I have noticed that Dragonslave has used antiseize on the threads of his plugs.
Now if he has put too much of it on and a little bit of it got into the cylinder, then it would explain the specs
on the porcelain of his plugs and it would have nothing to do with the motor running lean.
Just something to think about.

Paul.