Shift linkage question

Rick

Is there a stock spacer on the rear shift linkage, between the bolt and the shift rod? Took mine apart today and when I undid the allen bolt holding the rear linkage on I saw a bolt between the linkage and where it connects to the actual shifter arm that comes out of the tranny. Whenm I got it apart the bolt ios just acting as a spacer as it's bigger then the allen bolt that goes through it. Trying to find out if it was rigged up by my old dealer. Let me know if you need pics.

R

Rick

There is a spacer on the front, but not on the back. At least not on the standard assembly.
Yeah I have the cone alum spacer on the front. But I wonder why there is a nut on the back acting as a spacer?? Must have been added by my old dealer. So the rear just bolts up flush to the shifter arm going to the tranny?

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
I don't have a spacer on either side but looking at it now it's cockeyed! :eek:

Here is the front one.

And the rear one.

And the alignment. Kinda dark!

WB Cycles

Nope ... just the bolt going through the Heim Joint. Wonder if they used a longer bolt? 5/16-24 x 7/8" is the stock bolt

Rick

Here is mine I can't show the front control cause I have it removed but here is the front cone spacer

Here is the rear with the nut as a spacer

I will check how it lines up when I put it all back together. May end up keeping the nut spacer as it has worked pretty well so far.

05chop

rear no spacer. ray do you have extended controls?Maybe thats why it got left out. my 05 From the factory came with a polished spacer in the front only.

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
rear no spacer. ray do you have extended controls?Maybe thats why it got left out. my 05 From the factory came with a polished spacer in the front only.
Dang, that motor is clean!!! :eek: :eek:

Yeah, I have the extended controls and the front pivots past the down tube. Had to cut the bolt down so it didn't hit the frame.

I don't think my stock setup had that cone shaped spacer either.

05chop

MY 05 came with a spacer in the front.With 43k miles on it you did something rite.05chop

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
Shimmed mine to get them more in line, less binding on those stock POS Hiem's...:eek:

05chop

05 chopper front shift joint.Ray did you relocate your voltage regulator?Mine lays flat under motor mount.Mite be daytec thing on mine? 05chop

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Mine lays flat under motor mount.Mite be daytec thing on mine? 05chop
Mine is the Rolling Thunder frame. Used to be the way to tell the difference in the frames when I looked at all the bikes at the dealer.

Wish mine was as clean as yours though! :D