Seal change with Belt Drive Yes or No?

Energy One

meyerld

Ok i apologize in advance if this has been covered but I am seriously looking at doing a 4" Karata belt drive even though unlikke the majority of posters i have difficulty reaching them or returning my emails. I have figured it out and the job looks like a nice project. The only thing I am not sure about is the need to change the seal on the crankcase. A few folks indicated they flipped it around or changed it. What's up with this and if its needed do I buy a new seal and how hard is it to install? Thanks guys.

Brew

Troop Supporter
Buy a new seal and flip it around. S&S motor manual suggest you do this when installing an open belt drive. It's very easy to do...

Old seal removal:

New seal installation

Last edited:

shovelshot

Ok i apologize in advance if this has been covered but I am seriously looking at doing a 4" Karata belt drive even though unlikke the majority of posters i have difficulty reaching them or returning my emails. I have figured it out and the job looks like a nice project. The only thing I am not sure about is the need to change the seal on the crankcase. A few folks indicated they flipped it around or changed it. What's up with this and if its needed do I buy a new seal and how hard is it to install? Thanks guys.
Recently installed the Karata. I flipped the seal when I installed and no leaks.

shovelshot

Thanks wow a picture is worth a thousand words. What type of seal puller do you use?
I used a drywall screw, vice grip and a hammer. Be careful how far you run the screw in if you go that route. I was almost able to knock it sideways enough to grab it but not quite.