Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

RIP Problem?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by prodiver, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    Okay I assume it's probably fine.

Something else is a muck but if you already sent it off can't do much like you said

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

2. prodiver

prodiver Member

My Bike(s):
    Harley, Big Dog
    The bike has been down for a month now. I sent the brain to Big Dog 2 weeks ago and still have not heard anything from them. Starting to get real pissed off.

3. prodiver

prodiver Member

My Bike(s):
    Harley, Big Dog
    This is an update from a previous RIP problem. Checked everything I could and shipped RIP ECM to Big Dog for testing. Took 3 weeks and the RIP is toast. Ask them if they had any idea about what caused it and their answer was no. Sometimes they go bad. The original ECM lasted me for 7 years. If I am only going to get a year or two out of an RIP setup then I am going to go old school. The new one is $325.00 and comes with a six month warranty. Since both the spedo annunciator

and ignition module were toast I have purchased all new ones but am very reluctant to try using them until I know what caused the problem in the first place. goddamn electricals are getting to be expensive and time consuming. Any one have any suggestions.

francoblay1 likes this.
  4. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sorry about the troubles..been there

Could have been a short in the battery or a spike in the VR. I would replace both of those components as well since you are in it so deep already. Just to know the whole system is new.

I went ahead and replaced the VR's when I installed my kits for peace of mind.

chubs likes this.
  5. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog
    First Name:
    Ker
    And install 20 ampere inline fuse for the power to the brain to protect it against shorts in the future, the ESC from DOC's and Axels unit have the protection.

#25 BWG56, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    francoblay1 and Big D Florida like this.
  6. prodiver

prodiver Member

My Bike(s):
    Harley, Big Dog
    Finally got the dam thing to run. After countless hours of tracing and testing wires I was still not getting power to the ignition module unless I bypassed the RIP. First RIP was fried after a year. Purchased new one and tried it. Still no power to ignition module. Sent it back had it tested and nothing wrong with it. For 4 months I have been testing and retesting and replacing expensive parts that I didn't need. A friend ask me to install an RIP in his bike and I told him about the problems I was having with mine. I hooked his harness up to mine and everything worked. His was exactly the same as mine but mine was not getting any power to the ignition module. Thinking I must have a bad wire in the harness that goes to the ignition so I took the harness apart and traced the wire and every goddamn wire in that harness and still could find nothing wrong. Hook his up and everything works fine. Hook mine back up and nothing. Same wires same hookup but my harness would not work. I was really getting frustrated and then I decided to take the little box at the end of his harness ( I don't know what it is called and have never heard anyone mention it) and I plugged it into my harness and everything worked. I assume that this is some sort of a plug for testing the harness at the factory and whatever is in that little black box at the end is burned out but it does not show any signs of being burned or damaged. In 50 years of riding and wrenching on bikes this is without a doubt the biggest pain in the ass I have ever had to deal with.

francoblay1, Unsprung and chubs like this.
  7. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog
    First Name:
    Ker
    Thanks for the update and glad ya finally found it:old2:

8. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    Can you take a pic of the little black box thing you are talking about?

The little thing that is shrink wrapped?

francoblay1 and chubs like this.
  9. francoblay1

francoblay1 The Spaniard

My Bike(s):
    K9 (2006)
    First Name:
    Franco
    Interesting! thanks for the update/closure!!!

chubs likes this.
  10. Mickeetwo

Mickeetwo Guru
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 Big Dog K9 & 2014 Ultra Limited
    First Name:
    Alan
    Thanks for the update and glad your back on the road

chubs likes this.
  11. BadDawg Bill

BadDawg Bill Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 Softail dexuxe customized
    First Name:
    Deplorable BadDawg Bill
    When will you guys learn that old skool wiring is the way to go. $600 and 8 hrs will get you a bike that you can depend on... It's like hitting your head on a pole thinking it won't hurt going after the "Easy way out scams". All the guys on here that are riding their oldskool bikes are laughing at you... Maybe you are just a glutton for punishment. I know i'm laughing.... :oldhardlaugh:90 years of old technology that works can't be wrong.....Throw all that "new technology " away and Buy some wire, breakers, bars and controls and ride or spend thousands and hours on new parts and sit in the garage wishin you were riding.

Geez... most of the post on here are about electrical issues.... Isn't it time????