Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

RIP Problem?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by prodiver, Aug 3, 2017.

1. prodiver

prodiver Member

My Bike(s):
    Harley, Big Dog
    Installed RIP kit almost a year ago. 06 Mastif, Carb Replaced starter and crank position sensor a month ago. Bike has run fine until ten days ago. 70 mi. hr. down freeway and it just dies. Towed home and checked battery only had 5 volts. Purchased new battery, did load test and all. Put new battery in and hit start and engine cranks strong but no spark. Speedometer does not power up and tach ring only lights on last 7 digits at the end. No high beam No turn signals, horn works and running lights, no brake lights and there does not appear to be power to the ignition module. Hit run and no lights on module show up. I think the problem might be the ignition module but if it is then why would the spedo not power up or the turn signals work. I have checked everything except the coils so far and have found no loose connections or chaffed wires. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. bigkelk9

bigkelk9 Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    07 big dog k9
    First Name:
    Kel
    If u r having issues with lights and signals etc, it's definitely in the brain of the bike. I don't know enough about that set up to help you, but I know that's where u need to start and someone who has it or has had it will definitely help u out. It is the system that big dog is throwing on their new bikes and whatever bikes they sell. So contacting them might help u too.. good luck

3. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog, SpyderF3
    First Name:
    Ker
    I would start right there

Big D Florida likes this.
  4. prodiver

prodiver Member

My Bike(s):
    Harley, Big Dog
    So far no response from anyone and it looks more and more like the problem is the brain. No response from Big Dog or Curtis. If the problem is the brain I am going to be very pissed off. This bike has never seen rain and never been rode hard. I thought the RIP kit would solve the electrical problems but a year later it is back to the same crap. Getting real discouraged with Big Dog.

5. Big D Florida

Big D Florida Well-Known Member
    Troop Supporter

I would say ignition first.Start there. Electrical issues are a real PIA, on ANYTHING...being stranded sucks...on ANYTHING.
    I can totally understand the frustration. If you're home, step back, take a breath, and start at the ignition. It controls power to all systems.

6. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog, SpyderF3
    First Name:
    Ker
    When you turn the key on does the ignition module light blink and go out?

7. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    If installed correctly the brain is very reliable....so I am going go assume you have a problem elsewhere. Nobody has had a failure yet of the module that we are aware of. That includes the RIP and the ESC.

Point is look elsewhere.....

We will need pictures of the install to offer you any assistance. The last 7 lights on the tach has me worried that something roasted.....unplug the tach ring under the tank and see if everything else comes back to life. That tach ring could be bad and shorting out the bike won't work at all if that happens.....seen it before.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

SKOGDOG likes this.
  8. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog, SpyderF3
    First Name:
    Ker
    That's why I was asking him if the ignition module blinked, if it does there's a short, and most likely the tach ring. Just unplug it and try to start the bike.

9. prodiver

prodiver Member

My Bike(s):
    Harley, Big Dog
    The ignition module does not do anything. No lights at all in it. I ordered a new module and will try it when I get it. There is no spark to the plugs at all but I will try unplugging the the tach and spedo and try to start it. Thanks for the help guys.

10. prodiver

prodiver Member

My Bike(s):
    Harley, Big Dog
    Unplugged the tach and speedometer and still nothing. Motor cranks but no fire. No lights in the module.

11. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog, SpyderF3
    First Name:
    Ker
    If the ignition module doesn't at least blink one flash when you turn the key on, I would say then its prolly the ignition module. I fixed one that had a short in the tach, but when you turned the key on I would get at least one flash on the ignition module light indicating a short somewhere, but you aren't even getting that.

12. prodiver

prodiver Member

My Bike(s):
    Harley, Big Dog
    Tried new ignition module and same problem. I am sending the brain to Big Dog for testing. I did 2 installs for friends last year and they hav e had no problems but if the brain is the problem then I am going to have to put out a considerable amount of cash for a new one. I got 7 years out of the old system and 14 months out of the RIP kit. This bike has never been run hard or in the rain and it has been down for 2 weeks now and looks like it will be down awhile longer. I have another one to ride but this problem is becoming a PIA.

13. cdogg556

cdogg556 Guru

My Bike(s):
    2009 Big Dog Mastiff, Chrome Package, DOC's ESC, 585 cam, VH Big Radius Exhaust, 2.5" fwd cntls.
    First Name:
    John
    It sucks when your bike is down, but once you get it going you'll forget all about it and be smiling as your riding that bad ass big dog down the road, good luck and keep us posted!

14. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    Well if it turns out to be the controller....tbe thunderheart module is plug and play. So maybe not as expensive as you think.

Thunder Heart Performance Micro Harness Controller - One Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LQLBLU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.JBIzbAAR7R6T

15. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog, SpyderF3
    First Name:
    Ker
  16. prodiver

prodiver Member

My Bike(s):
    Harley, Big Dog
    So I tried my spedo and annunciator on a friends 06 and same problem. Spedo and annunciator are both fried. Took it apart and it appears that the sensor in the annunciator is burned. Will try to post some photos later.

17. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    You had mentioned earlier you unplugged the tach and speedo and still had nothing though?

I've seen a fried tach board before and yes it will absolutely stop the RIP from working. But if unplugged the bike should still turn on.

I bet the board looks like this?
    [​IMG]

#17 Th3InfamousI, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  18. prodiver

prodiver Member

My Bike(s):
    Harley, Big Dog
    That is just what it looks like. Thank you. Any idea what caused it? I did unplug it and it still would not start. Thanks for the info.

19. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    Would not start or still no headlight or running lights? Nadda damn thing?

If it's unplugged and when you turn it on Still nothing than you haven't identified the whole problem yet and it's probably not just your tach. Your Mission is not yet complete! You have more collateral damage to identify.

Try unplugging the headlight. Go one by one unplugging headlight and marker lights until the damn thing turns on. My money is on the headlight is blown too. Is it an LED?

20. prodiver

prodiver Member

My Bike(s):
    Harley, Big Dog
    Still had headlight but no hi beam, running lights worked, no turn signals, motor cranked but no fire. Tried the spedo and tach on my friends bike and got the same results except his bike fired right up and he had both hi & lo beam. Can't do much more until I get the brain back from Big Dog.