Right side oil leak

Energy One

EMILIO

2010 K9, So I have this oil leak coming out of the main shaft area , is it hard to change these 2 seals in the pic below?, does any Harley shop have these seals? Can I just dig the out and tap in the new seals? I ended up removing the trap door so If I have to I can take it into a shop have them swap out the seals but I would rather do it myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BWG56

Guru
Not hard at all, call Baker and get the right one, Harley does have them but trust me, get it from Baker or you will be doing it again, Ya might wanna get the quad seal also, that's the one around the splined shaft. order 2 in case ya screw one up and pay attention to the direction of the quad seal, and don't ask me how I know.:oldlaugh:
The old one will come right out with a seal puller, the quad seal is a little harder to get out. Good luck

Last edited:

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
2010 K9, So I have this oil leak coming out of the main shaft area , is it hard to change these 2 seals in the pic below?, does any Harley shop have these seals? Can I just dig the out and tap in the new seals? I ended up removing the trap door so If I have to I can take it into a shop have them swap out the seals but I would rather do it myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
KER has you covered I'm your question..

But Yooooo!!!

What is up with that starter? There's a lot of amps going through that. Ya really need to put some shrink wrap on that at least.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

EMILIO

i al
KER has you covered I'm your question..

But Yooooo!!!

What is up with that starter? There's a lot of amps going through that. Ya really need to put some shrink wrap on that at least.

already shrink wrap it twice, that was on my list and i ordered a new terminal boot from Curtis, all good , so just an update i went ahead and replaced the large main shaft oil seal and the small oil seal in the center in between both shafts , i hope this does the trick, they were very easy to replace , i just popped them out with a screw driver being careful not to score the housing and tapped in the new seals and i was able to get these seals from the local Harley shop, all im waiting on is my gaskets from Curtis and i should have it back together tonight.

EMILIO

y
Did you clean the magnet off on the inside of the trap door while you have it apart?

yes i cleaned the magnet and even the inside of the tranny itself, everything is very clean, ill be test driving tonight to see if all it good

EMILIO

Not hard at all, call Baker and get the right one, Harley does have them but trust me, get it from Baker or you will be doing it again, Ya might wanna get the quad seal also, that's the one around the splined shaft. order 2 in case ya screw one up and pay attention to the direction of the quad seal, and don't ask me how I know.:oldlaugh:
The old one will come right out with a seal puller, the quad seal is a little harder to get out. Good luck
so i didn't listen ( i actually didn't realize what the quad ring was , i thought it was the small oil seal) ) so i had replaced the large oil seal and the small oil seal in between the shafts, and so it still leaked , then i researched so more and realized that there was a quad rind and Spacer , i called Baker and he told me to replace both the quad ring and the spacer and he said that i could get them form a local shop, and so i tore it down again and replaced the quad ring and the spacer, the bike didn't leak for about 50 miles then it started leaking again, so now I'm pissed so i didn't realize that the quad must go on a certain direction, and so should i flip the quad ring , or maybe go in and replaced the shaft and the bearing and all the seals again, when i had the door off i checked the shaft for play and it seemed to be tight, i getting really frustrated at the point, i even called Baker this morning and the guy was not very helpful, he would not recommend anything , i had to ask the questions and he would only respond to my question, please help. and i did get the seals from the harley shop , i didnt want to wait for shipping , you did say not to do that , so should i order new seals from Baker and replace them again? can i get the seals from WSW,

Last edited:

BWG56

Guru
The big oil seal from Harley will leak, that's why I told you to get it from Baker, the spacer I cleaned up with 2000 grit and polished, believe me when you have the 2 of them in your hand, the inner part of the seal that goes around the spacer is much different than the Harley seal, been there done that.
And yes the quad seal can be put in both ways, that's why I told you to be careful and note which way it came out.

I would get them from Baker and do it again, or you will be doing it a 3rd time

I would not get them from WSW unless he can guaranty that they are Baker seals and not a knock off.

Last edited:

EMILIO

The big oil seal from Harley will leak, that's why I told you to get it from Baker, the spacer I cleaned up with 2000 grit and polished, believe me when you have the 2 of them in your hand, the inner part of the seal that goes around the spacer is much different than the Harley seal, been there done that.
And yes the quad seal can be put in both ways, that's why I told you to be careful and note which way it came out.

I would get them from Baker and do it again, or you will be doing it a 3rd time

I would not get them from WSW unless he can guaranty that they are Baker seals and not a knock off.
ok i ordered seals from baker , Thank you for the info, Ker

EMILIO

well i installed the new seals from baker and i still have an oil leak, this is really frustrating, i have been in the 3 times, should i just replace the shaft, bearing and new seals again? if my belt tension is too high could it cause the shaft to leak?, when i had the door off the first time to inspect everything i tried to move shaft up and down side to side and i couldn't get any play out of it, ever time i call Baker they are really not helpful, they just say , "well i would have to see it", ok so if i replace the shaft and bearing is it hard to press the shaft into the bearing and the bearing into the door?

Jwooky

I went through this last year. Replaced seals twice, leak always came back. Drove me insane. The seals don't usually go bad unless there is end play in the main shaft or it has too much run out. Mine was a little of both. If you loosen the final drive belt and primary chain you may be able to detect the end play. The run out is almost impossible to check in trans.

I ended up taking mine to baker cause they are local. Needed new mainshaft, bearing seals etc.

Steve2134

well i installed the new seals from baker and i still have an oil leak, this is really frustrating, i have been in the 3 times, should i just replace the shaft, bearing and new seals again? if my belt tension is too high could it cause the shaft to leak?, when i had the door off the first time to inspect everything i tried to move shaft up and down side to side and i couldn't get any play out of it, ever time i call Baker they are really not helpful, they just say , "well i would have to see it", ok so if i replace the shaft and bearing is it hard to press the shaft into the bearing and the bearing into the door?
So did you end up getting this fixed? I’m dealing with the same issue and I bought my seals from Baker. I got one season of riding and now leaking again.

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Yeah, not nice playing in secret!!! why don´t you guys share the fix on that issue??? :nonod:

Steve2134

IMG_8212.jpg
That's a lot of freaking typing . I'll try to get a how to together. The biggest problem is the o ring, they call a seal. It was recalled, and removed, and silicone is used in it's place. I'll try to get something wrote up.
When it started leaking last time I replaced the lip seal and spacer at the cover and the seal on the main shaft around where the push rod enters. I’m not entirely sure why the seal on the end of main shaft exists but it seems to be the repeat offender. It is not an o-ring but more of a small lip seal with metal casing. I made a tool to ensure it would go in straight. I’m going to try to upload a picture here to help

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
upload_2018-1-14_12-22-24.png
It's #14 quad seal, that causes the problem. It's suppose to seal around the splines. As it deteriorates, the pulley will get loose and cause the leak. They fixed the problem, by removing the o-ring and using black silicone in it's place. I have had no come backs on this repair. and I've done 8 or so this way.