Reset EFI w/ WP installed

Energy One

speebeep

I have read many a post stating to follow the procedure to reset your EFI if you disconnect your battery. The procedure being to turn on the key, press the run button and then turn off the key for 15 secs. But if you have the WP kit installed, the run/off switch becomes a toggles switch (no longer two separate inputs as before the WP install) and the bike is already set to run as soon as you turn the key on.
So how exactly do you perform a reset with the WP kit installed? Do you turn the key on and then off for 15 secs? Because if you hit the run button after turning the key on, the run button now acts as a kill button which now has changed the sequence to reset your EFI. Just thinking out loud.

speebeep

Ok, this is what I found out. To reset your ECM with the wire plus kit installed all you have to do it turn the key on, wait for the fuel pump to prime and then turn your key off and wait 15 secs before turning it back on. That is it.

I learned this from the ProTune software after loading a fresh map.

Bigdogchopper24

Help 2003 big dog chopper
Head light works
Starter works
No front turn lights or running lights
No brake lights
No back turn lights but running lights work

Jwooky

To clarify. This process is not resetting the module. When the EFI module loses battery power, it has to re learn the position of the IAC valve. It does so by driving it throught it's travel which takes about 15s.

Bigdogchooper, your questions are unrelated to this thread, suggest you create a new thread.

BigDogBro1

Made in the USA
Jwooky is on track.

The ECM is restarted and I believe the TPS and IAC are reinitialized with the S&S recommended procedure:

"To reset your ECM with the wire plus kit installed all you have to do it turn the key on, wait for the fuel pump to prime and then turn your key off and wait 15 secs before turning it back on."

The throttle body holds the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor, feedback to ECM) and the IAC (Idle Air Controller, controls idle RPM) need to go thru an initial recalibration RESET to tell the ECM where their zero positions are if the ECM memory has been lost due to a battery disconnect.

There a two power wires that feed the ECM unit. ONE switched via the key switch thru the EHC and maybe a relay. The other wire is powered ON continuously and wired to the battery + post (or thru the 12v power buss in the EHC). The continuous power is there to hold learned MAP information to UPDATE MAPS while riding and provide EFI sensor memory storage.

Last edited: