Removing Stock Gas cap

Energy One

francoblay1

The Spaniard
All,

I am going to remove the stock Gas Cap on my K9 and install a kuryakyn...

I've read it can be a real PIA without the appropriate/special tool for it... I would like to hear from anyone who's been there and done it already, suggestions & tips, please? Thank you.

:cheers:

postman

I used a very large easy out. Tape all around the cap completly and several thickness to protect the paint. then insert the easy out in the bun, heat the easy outnot the paint saver, mine cam out no problem, hope this help, good luck.

Bowhunter

I was there when Postman removed his, like he said, pre-heat the easy out and let it transfer the heat into the paint-saver, then gently remove it. Good Luck!

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
Franco....shoot me a PM with a mailing addy and I'll hook ya up with a removal tool I made. Little heat on the paint saver and a twist with this and they pop right out. It may take a bit to reach ya but if your not if a hurry.....?

C00lHandLuke

I'll tell you what I did Franco, I made a tool that removed that paint saver insert. I just took a wood block and nailed two nails through it at the exact measurement of the two notches on the insert. It was a bitch to get off and I had to be patient, and be very careful. As others have said I taped around it to protect my paint job.

This is a picture of my tank with the insert still in. I made the tool to fit the notches on it and twist it off.

Once I removed the insert there was some imperfections around the hole, so instead of leaving it just the way it was, I bought something called a "Paint Saver Plus". It's just a rubber gasket that holds a chrome ring. The rubber gasket is mounted around the hole using silicone and the chrome ring just fits right down in the gasket. It covers all of the imperfections and protects your tank from gas spillage.

This is a stock picture of one

This is what it looked like mounted on my tank

Afterwards, I could use any aftermarket gas cap I wanted. The paint saver plus never got in the way and was covered by the gas cap. Also I have never had gas seep from under my cap since I changed it out like it did with the factory cap. Plus during the hot summer days the factory cap would swell and make it damn near impossible to get off. Trust me, it's a lot better set up.

Here is a pic after I changed it out with a aftermarket gas cap

One of the best decisions I made after I bought my BDM. Anyway I can help, just shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to help in any way.

francoblay1

The Spaniard
I'll tell you what I did Franco, I made a tool that removed that paint saver insert. I just took a wood block and nailed two nails through it at the exact measurement of the two notches on the insert. It was a bitch to get off and I had to be patient, and be very careful. As others have said I taped around it to protect my paint job.

This is a picture of my tank with the insert still in. I made the tool to fit the notches on it and twist it off.

Once I removed the insert there was some imperfections around the hole, so instead of leaving it just the way it was, I bought something called a "Paint Saver Plus". It's just a rubber gasket that holds a chrome ring. The rubber gasket is mounted around the hole using silicone and the chrome ring just fits right down in the gasket. It covers all of the imperfections and protects your tank from gas spillage.

This is a stock picture of one

This is what it looked like mounted on my tank

Afterwards, I could use any aftermarket gas cap I wanted. The paint saver plus never got in the way and was covered by the gas cap. Also I have never had gas seep from under my cap since I changed it out like it did with the factory cap. Plus during the hot summer days the factory cap would swell and make it damn near impossible to get off. Trust me, it's a lot better set up.

Here is a pic after I changed it out with a aftermarket gas cap

One of the best decisions I made after I bought my BDM. Anyway I can help, just shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to help in any way.
Awesome! :2thumbs: Thank you :cheers:

C00lHandLuke

No problem man, I'll look around and see what I can find as far as the paint saver plus ring and post the links for you. If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask.

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Franco....shoot me a PM with a mailing addy and I'll hook ya up with a removal tool I made. Little heat on the paint saver and a twist with this and they pop right out. It may take a bit to reach ya but if your not if a hurry.....?
Harry, I´ve received the tool today... Man, that´s so cool, and it has "Big Dog Biker" engraved on it too!!! it is awesome!!! Thank you so much, it is very much appreciated! :2thumbs:

Rep Points coming your way! :whoop:

:cheers:

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
I have been thinking about installing the smooth gas cap that pops up. I like the clean look but have heard on here that they are prone to leaking. I have one on my 2012 Streetglide and it looks good and hasn't leaked so far.

francoblay1

The Spaniard
I am installing this one. Besides the looks I like it also because it is able to be locked so no one can throw any shit inside my tank! :D