Removed outer primary cover and found

DanzDawg

Hi guys and gals, I did an intro a few months back and try to stop in a couple times a week. I haven't really chimed in much but I enjoy some of the light hearted stuff you regulars post.
So I thought I would share what I found today inside my primary cover, the pictures were taken as soon as the cover was removed. thought it looked fairly clean ,but look at what the clutch bolts were doing to the webbing on the outer. I clearance the webbing with my trusty angle grinder and bolted it back together. seems o/k but thought I would share this.

Have any of you seen this happen before? any comments.
Hope the pics are not to large- here we go

Did you check the play in your clutch hub.
That could be happening because the clutch hub nut came loose and is allowing them to touch.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
that is a sign of something else that needs to be done. do some research on "clutch hub nut". you will find the procedure to tighten it back up. not a big problem but you would be amazed at the difference it will make.

DanzDawg

Did you check the play in your clutch hub.
That could be happening because the clutch hub nut came loose and is allowing them to touch.
Everything seemed tight, I was told Big Dog in Tampa remaned the starter and installed the trans after Baker went thru it the middle of last year before I had bought it. I was kinda shocked to find it eating at the cover. Glad to get any advice from you guys.

DanzDawg

that is a sign of something else that needs to be done. do some research on "clutch hub nut". you will find the procedure to tighten it back up. not a big problem but you would be amazed at the difference it will make.
O/k will do thanks

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Quick Question to get to the clutch hub nut do you need to remove the both snap rings or can you get away with just removing the larger one?

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Where is the 2nd snap ring?
Remove the outer snap ring and the throw out bearing.
There is a small snap ring on the clutch pushrod and another holding the throw out bearing. Correct? I assume you can't remove the throw out bearing unless you remove the smaller one holding in the pushrod??

You can see the two snap rings in his first picture above, its tough to see but I think you'll know what I mean.

I do not see it in the blow up diagrams on the manual but I swear there are two of them there. I am not high or drunk, yet!

Last edited:

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Here this is what I am talking about. I colored the two snap rings in BLUE. Don't mind me I can't make circles well.

DanzDawg

This could also be 'old' damage that occurred before you bought it.
I believe you are correct, the four bolts that would have been chewing at the case didn't seem to have even a scratch on them. but it still was a bit of a shock to see. I read and saved a few threads on the clutch hub nut issue for future reference though.
I was doing some prep hoping to go out this sunday and put some miles on it, got the new 300 metzeler on with some dyna beads from WSW . its florida and the weather is good. thanks guys