Racing Gas??

Energy One

BubbleHead

Big Dog Biker test account
How much is this Lucas treatment stuff?

If expensive, could you get the same thing from a simply fuel system cleaner additive?
Hey Gas, the Lucas fuel treatment is 4.99 for enough to treat 25 gallons of gas. That's not a lot per gallon. The octane boost is 8.00 for enough to treat 25 gallons of gas. I don't plan on running the octane boost all the time but I do add 2 oz of fuel treatment to every tank of gas just to keep my fuel system clean and do what I can to keep my valve train clean and free of deposits.

I use 1/2 of a quart of the Lucas oil treatment to every oil change just to protect my engine from dry start up and keep the oil temp cooler. 1/2 quart of Lucas and 2 1/2 quarts of Mobil one. I've had no issues so far doing this. Always have strong oil pressure and the engine seems to run a tiny bit cooler along with less valve train noise. Just turned 12,500 miles today.

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the reminder about race fuel! I need to pick up 20 gals of VP C-12 for my ATC370R running about 240lbs compression. Time to race the hill climbs. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:

See Ya

BubbleHead

Hey Knot, I just recently went to the Jefferson Hill climbs. In PA. Those nitro burning bikes are awesome. They climb a 385 foot hill almost straight up in less than 9 seconds. Those "Fin" guys are young for sure and crazier than a loon. But fun to watch for an old man like me!

slowrower

2007 Mastiff
Tried the 100 Octane in my Mastiff at $5.99 a gallon and it sure did run smoother with the more even burn. I add a few OZs of Mystery Oil every with every tank which helps when it sites for a week. go High Octane!!

scubaman15

Gas if you have a truck stop near you pick up a gal for about $20.00 will treet 400gals "goes a long way ,this stuff is loved by truckers. but try the cam2 mix and see if you don't notice a difference also..

Black Dawg

My static compression with a zero deck is about 10.5:1. Throw in the 600 cam that makes good cylinder pressure in the low and mid range and the shit 91 octane here in Phoenix there is a definite need for higher octane. I've had serious engine knock on a hot day/high load/lower rpm using plain 91, and mild knock under better conditions. Stock compression and those that have access to 93 octane probably have nothing to worry about.

reloaderbmg

OLD DOG
My static compression with a zero deck is about 10.5:1. Throw in the 600 cam that makes good cylinder pressure in the low and mid range and the shit 91 octane here in Phoenix there is a definite need for higher octane. I've had serious engine knock on a hot day/high load/lower rpm using plain 91, and mild knock under better conditions. Stock compression and those that have access to 93 octane probably have nothing to worry about.
DAWG. here in florida in the summer, 93 oct still knocks! i mix atf. [dextron 3] in the gas all the time.bike sets for a wheek or two some times!
you just have to learn to keep the rpm,s up.:whoop:

scubaman15

Just a reminder ...as carbon deposits form in the combustion chamber static compression rises ..thus the need for higher octane as you can see this can be a no win the more you use poor fuel the worse it becomes .... One Cheep way to help keep carbon from forming is to...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT. Man I hate that!!!

BubbleHead

Ok, believe it or not guys, using a mixture of Lucas fuel conditioner / 104 octane boost and reg 87 octane gas my bike runs better than ever. The cost of the octane boost and fuel conditioner spread out over say 100 gallons of gas is minimal and it seems to be the best way to improve the quality of the shit 87 octane fuel sold here in MD and still give my bike a great fuel to run on. The 25 cents per gallon I save over buying 93 octane helps offset the cost of the Lucas additives. I have run my bike on straight 93 octane / 89 octane and regular 87 with no additives and 93 with additives and 89 with additives and now 87 with additives and the above combination seems to be the "golden" combination. My plugs are looking great and my fuel economy is now 34 - 36 mpg in town and 38-39 on the highway. I really can't ask for any better than that realistically. That's my two cents worth on this.

Thanks again to Scuba for turning me on to Lucas products. You the man Ron!

Chopper Dave

SIICK!!!
Hey Gas, the Lucas fuel treatment is 4.99 for enough to treat 25 gallons of gas. That's not a lot per gallon. The octane boost is 8.00 for enough to treat 25 gallons of gas. I don't plan on running the octane boost all the time but I do add 2 oz of fuel treatment to every tank of gas just to keep my fuel system clean and do what I can to keep my valve train clean and free of deposits.
BBD.....I picked up a bottle of that Lucas fuel treatment for 4.99 also.....
so you put 2 oz. to every full tank.......once you started doing this...did you notice any difference?

BubbleHead

CD, there is a very minor difference in the performance in general BUT you have the knowledge of knowing that your upper combustion chamber will stay clean, your vavle seats will stay clean and your fuel MPG should show some improvement. Yes, 2 oz to a tank of fuel is about right. At 4.99 all you can do is good for your engine and the peace of mind of knowing that your motor is running about as effienct as it can be.

BubbleHead

CD, I have also been using a combination of Lucas fuel treatment and 104 maximum octane boost mixed together along with reg 87 octane fuel and my bike is running just wonderful. I mix 3 parts octane boost ( 3 oz) and 2 parts Lucas(2 oz) in a small bottle I keep in my tool bag. Enough for two tanks of gas.

link to the 104 octane boost.... Gold Eagle - 104+

Last edited:

BubbleHead

CD on an unrelated note... Man I wish you and Gas and BigHouse and all the MI guys could go on a ride with us right hand coast guys. That would be sooo sweet. :)
Thus the reason for a Big Dog Biker week somewhere.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
BBD... I really want to. Its just a matter of time off work and getting us to ride down.

BubbleHead

Gas, the time off thing is tough, especially for a family man or a married man. I fully understand that theory. I just think if we could plan it way in advance and get a decent amount of participation we could devlope a really great thing and create a one week or even long weekend thing once a year that we could all look forward to and enjoy to the max. Drinking with CD might be an experience that I may not survive but what the "F" , I'm only gonna live once so let it all hang out, that's my theory:roll: :roll: :cheers: :2thumbs:

Fibersnake

Banjo Playing PsychoBilly
BigBlueDog,

Trying to get a yearly get together for a week or so is an excellent idea. It was discussed on the old forum and never real came together. We could work on it, but I would allow some time, maybe strive for next spring or early summer.

It would have to be at a time where there is not major conflicts with some of the big bike events and should be somewhat central to allow for as many as can to come.

Ideally somewhere that has plenty of scenic riding and that is biker friendly, also reasonable accomodations and support.

More towards the east, but one of the best places I know, is over in Tennessee around Maryville-Knoxville. This allows for great riding at Deals Gap, Foothills Parkway, Smoky Mts., Cherohala, Hellbender and the Snake up near Shady Valley. Also Knoxville is very good for Motorcyclist and the rates are good. They have the Honda Hoot there ever year as well as many other model specific runs.

It is a not too bad of a run for the Great Lake area, the OK and AR, etc crew. Little long for some of the western crew but would give them and excellent reason to make that cross country ride.

Let's discuss this in the near future and start putting out some feelers and go from there. We could make some basic reaserch and than nail down an area and check out the logisitics, lodging, support, etc.

BubbleHead

Yea Tim I'm with ya on that. I was thinking no sooner than next late spring at least. Tennessee is a great place to start approaching this concept. Gatlinburg has a rally every year and maybe we could include ourselves in to that meet and the riding there is just fabulous. It's an idea as well as your suggestions. I'll do some research and get back to you on it.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
While I think a big forum rally would be awesome, I would just like to come out and visit some of you down southeast. You all have such great roads and such and if I was to stop in south east ohio area it wouldn't be a bad run barring any break downs.