Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Progressive softtail shocks

Discussion in 'Brakes / Suspension' started by liferider, Mar 21, 2012.

1. bearman

bearman Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 Mastiff, 2007 Sportster
    Personally I think sagging ¾” when you sit on it is too much. I don’t think you really have but about 2-1/2” of total travel. And make sure to check air pressure in the tires. Tire air pressure can have a big effect on the ride quality. I run between 20 and 25psi in my rear, it is a 250. It seems to ride better that way to me. I have my height set fairly low and probably only have 1 to 1-1/2” of travel, so I have the preload set fairly stiff (I think about 3), no sag when I sit alone, mabe ½” with the girlfriend. With the recommended air in the rear tire and the way mine is setup, I could feel every tiny bump in the road. Much better (my opinion) with a little less air.

2. mittens

mittens Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 Chopper RT
    First Name:
    Harley
    hmm so yours is a pretty firm ride sounds like. just there for the big stuff. I like the look of them slammed down (almost like a ridged with the fender on the tire). But I got softil for the reason of just that. And since there is not much travel I think I will be keeping all I have. and just stif enough to keep it from slamming to hard on some major bump with both of us.

Guess thats the plus of it being adjustable., will play and report back

3. mittens

mittens Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 Chopper RT
    First Name:
    Harley
    What kind of ride are you 2 getting out your bike? with a smaller amount of travel but some good shocks? better then stock i know but as good as say a fatboy?

4. bearman

bearman Active Member

My Bike(s):
    With 35psi in the rear tire my ride was worse than a fatboy, with 25psi it is better.

5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Mr. Old Fart member #145
    Staff Member Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    black cherry '07 K9
    First Name:
    Tom
    be careful bearman, running that low could cause the belts to overheat causing catastrophic failure. :eek:

6. mittens

mittens Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 Chopper RT
    First Name:
    Harley
    i dont see 25psi doing that.

25 PSI will keep a full size truck rolling (buldging maybe but not flat) so 800 lbs rolling on 2 wheels I done see that making the tire hot..

a tire heats up from underinfaltion when its driven on out of shape.. and I would bet it takes alot less psi to make that happen. hell wrickel wall slicks sill stay in shape ar 8-10psi.

7. woodbutcher

My Bike(s):
    black cherry '07 K9
    First Name:
    Tom
    my post was a caution from information i have gleened, to be taken under advisement, not as gospel. to interpose your thoughts on my suggestion in such an opposing way, to me, seems rather disrespectful and quite dangerous. i respect your opinion and appreciate you participating in the forum, just asking that you think about the consequences of your statements before posting.

if the manufacturer places an inflation of 40psi on a tire, i think they should have tested it enough for that pressure to be followed. deviating from that pressure could cause problems. i suggested using caution.

francoblay1 likes this.
  8. mittens

mittens Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 Chopper RT
    First Name:
    Harley
    It was not meant to be disrespectful, just my take on it. I am not a seasoned veteran when it comes to these type bikes. But I have done my fare share of dealing with tires, and flats, blow outs, racing tires, trailer tires ect.

I am by all means not a expert, or a tire god, was just stating what i thought.

Spikes05 likes this.
  9. liferider

liferider Guru

My Bike(s):
    2003 BDM Chopper, 1996 HD Ultra Classic Custom
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Woodbutcher is correct about running tires under inflated PSI! The tire gets hot#1, the tire life span is cut drastically #2, the chance of throwing a tire increases#3. Yokahoma tire had a continuing education class I attended last year at our national convention. Running proper psi was the #1 cause of blow outs! BTW if you have a blow out on the front end of car or truck do not hit the breaks!!!!! Accelerate! Throwing the vehicle weight to the back of the car, get control of the vehicle then apply breaks!

shefiredevil likes this.
  10. francoblay1

francoblay1 The Spaniard

My Bike(s):
    K9 (2006)
    First Name:
    Franco
    Do NOT fuck around with tire pressures..... (they are the only thing keeping you on the road!) :rolleyes:

11. bearman

bearman Active Member

My Bike(s):
    I hear you, and I am careful.

I am actually mostly a slow-poke on the scooter, I usually never ride more than about 45 miles at a time without stopping. I usually don’t ride faster than 60 miles per hour, cause I stay off the interstates and on back roads. And I usually go around corners like the old man that I am. If I go on group rides (where I am much more likely to go faster than 60, and almost certainly will have the GF on back) I will usually up the rear tire to 30psi.

For most people, using what is on the sidewall of the tire is the safe thing to do. I have dealt with oversize tires for more than 30 years, I have experience in racing cars and bikes around corners and in straight lines, and I am confident in my ability to determine what is under (or over) inflated tires on my personal vehicles. I use an infrared heat gun to measure the temperature of my tires that I run less than the recommended air pressure. Personally, I don’t like any temps above 110 degrees Fahrenheit.

My rear scooter tire (while leaning on the sidestand) does not deform until the air pressure gets to around 10psi. It looks the same at 15psi as it does at 40psi (which is a one reason why it’s a good idea to keep a check on it).

Any tire will have a certain amount of deformation while in use, radial tires will have more than bias-ply tires. But continued excessive deformation is what causes heat build-up that will make tires fly apart. So while my rear tire looks the same at 15psi, I am not confident that it will not deform excessively while in use. But I am confident with 25psi, because I have measured the temperature on it (and it was no different than 35psi).

But that’s just what I do, your mileage may vary.

bear

12. woodbutcher

My Bike(s):
    black cherry '07 K9
    First Name:
    Tom
    does sound like you are very much on top of things, BUT, the caution still stands. here's hoping you never have a problem.

13. liferider

liferider Guru

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    I run what the tire says! No more, no less ! And I check the tires, engine oil, transmission oil and gas before each ride. Shit just cost to much to fix when 10 minutes can save you $$$$$$!

14. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog
    First Name:
    Ker
    If you were to hit a pot hole being you ride on back roads, with the psi that low, I would think you are going to damage the wheel.

15. liferider

liferider Guru

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Not only mess up the wheel but a good chance of popping the tire bead!

16. mittens

mittens Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 Chopper RT
    First Name:
    Harley
    25 psi is not going to lose a bead seal, especially on that low profile 18 inch back tire.

17. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog
    First Name:
    Ker
    If you bend or break the wheel there's not going to be anything for the tire bead to seal on. A week or so ago when I went to Daytona, I've seen no less than 5 or 6 vehicles off to the side changing tires, and I would bet they had more than 1" or 1-1/2" of side wall on the tires.

18. mittens

mittens Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 Chopper RT
    First Name:
    Harley
    Yes if you break the outer rim off a wheel I understand it will be a problem. you probably wont say on the bike either... thats HARD hit.

but just losing a bead seal from 25psi is not very probable.. But LEt stop arguing the damn tire pressure. its obvious some dont play with air pressures and tires much and thats fine. and some of us have had to for one reason or another.

this thread was about progressive shocks.

19. Koolblu

Koolblu New Member

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog K9
    First Name:
    GT
    I am running Avon, Cobra's with 42 PSI in the front and rear. I seem to get about 6k to 7k on the rear and 12k to 14k on the front tires.
    My preference is Meztlers, with the same PSI. I will change to Metzlers when these wear out. My friend gets 10K to 11K out of his Metzlers on the same Big Dog K9 that I ride with the same PSI.

We usually put 150 to 250 miles on our bikes each week end. Yes, we ride!!