Oops

Gmutoagrsv

I filled up with gas today and I accidentally spilled a little bit on my tank. No bubbling or anything it just got really dull in color. Any ideas on what I can do? I tried using purple slice and Maguires but neither of them did anything. I gently rub it with my finger and it comes back a little shinier.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
if you got it off quickly, you should be able to just polish it out and then put on your normal coats of carnuba wax. the gas shouldn't get into the paint if you wash it off soon after, only strip the wax off.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
rubbing compound more abrasive than polishing compound. doubt if there is any need for rubbing compound.

BadDawg Bill

Is that different than wax? Or a rubbing compound?
Ya, it's used for the final finish on paint. It smooths out the finish and gets it ready for wax. Dupont has it in a green and white can at any auto store. Just wet the rag, dip it in the polish and gently rub the spot. It should come out nice and shiny... I used to use it between lacquer coats back in the day. After 3 coats of lacquer and 10 coats of clear it was a mile deep and so smooth.

I just used it the other day when a bird shit on the wife's Jaguar and it dulled the finish. After a few minutes the finish looked like new. It's also good for scratches and swirling marks... If you want a new look finish just do the whole thing with it and then wax it. It will look like new.

I even use it on the furniture. My dinning room table was scratched and it made it look like new. Great stuff.

Last edited:

Gmutoagrsv

I did not see Dupont I ended up with either Maguires or turtle wax I don't remember. Would those be sufficient? It did clean up quite a bit and then I put turtle wax on it end it did look better but there are some little spots from the suction cups on my P seat that I would like to get rid of as well

BWG56

Guru
Meguiars cleaner, step one is what you want to use, if the Turtle wax made it look a little better step 1 will clean it right up