? On Primary Oil

Energy One

Mr. Blue

Ok, so this is a weird ? I have a Bandit clutch but still have the stock primary. Now, the Bandit can be used either wet or dry. My ? is do I still have to have oil in the primary? Was thinking about this the other day, and was wondering if anyone has thought about this also. :cheers:

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Your chain and sprockets still need oil. I guess you could run the bandit cultch dry with an open primary.

Mr. Blue

Your chain and sprockets still need oil. I guess you could run the bandit cultch dry with an open primary.
Do they really need oil? A chain drive rear sprocket on the rear wheel dosen't need any oil.
The only real thing in there that might is the starter gear, and that's just a sprocket and bigger sprocket.
Maybe I can get some other folks to chime in on this.:cheers:
Just wondering whats the differance from a close primary to a open one, other then the belt drive.

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Runs dry is the difference. I don't think the stock chain and gears are made to run dry.

Last edited:
I have Never run a primary belt drive but I do believe that anything running steel to steel benefits from running proper lubrication. If it were used for all out racing I could maybe see running ATF. Of choose off that were the case then you would be running a 5" belt drive right. I can't see not running lubrication as a benefit on these bikes in anyway.
Even a chain final drive needs occasional lubrication to increase its longevity.

Sven

Do they really need oil? A chain drive rear sprocket on the rear wheel dosen't need any oil.
Mistear Blue You got me in tears laughing. And then, I get one of these going :eek:

I then have to come up wit :D something like, "Don't place yourself on the red faced carpet I lay out. If you stand on it because I read the abstract above, do not take it personal. Dishere is how I bang out the other part.

:job: I have to come up with something sexual so some cluckissfuckers get a clue? Then, they brushithe frack'inn clack'inn thought that pops up in my head.

Say we jump in the time machine, fast forward our sagging ass and dragging balls wezza old! At one time your link and her chain being young and new had the lube going. We segway to some old, pull the links back away from the sprocket and it's in the next county sorta pull your leg, hello?

So she's all red rashes. You don't look so good either with the thin skin and thin or no lube you be looking at down the road. LOL :roll:

Maybe I can get some other folks to chime in on this.:cheers:
Lets walk this thru, shall we? :loony: You need to think out of the box. Think out of the primary cover as it were. I have to believe you are not alone in this desquiddiefrying. Pull every last feather and tar out of those tentacles.

Lets say we have a chain and sprocket in a bath of oil. How is it you can't put 2 and 2 for lube/asstroglide together? You got some soaking wet belt drive in a bath of oil but keep the drive chain dry.

Lets recap the abstract... Naaaaaaaa :up: Was that not the :toily:'ITS :D

Brew

Troop Supporter
So what Sven said was break out the KY Jelly and put some lube in that primary.... :D :2thumbs:

Tom Chop

What??? I started losing track after Sven`s first sentence. I suppose that even with scandanavian/european lineage I only understand good old American style English.

Last edited:

Fibersnake

Banjo Playing PsychoBilly
Personaly I would think in theory one could run a dry clutch dry with a closed primary. The issue I would see is that you still have to keep the chain lubricated. Now on open chain drive you do such with good ole fashion chain lube or very good sealed lubed chains.

Hell go back to some of the old school stuff and there were open chain driven primaries, but those required routine lube of the chain, much the same as most chains do not. I know on my wife Honda, we have to lube the chain about every 500 miles or so.

So if you ran your BD closed primary without oil, how are you going to keep the primary chained lube. I guess you could pull off the outer cover and do the occasional chain lube routine, maybe even pull some links to do away with the adjusting shoe. All fine until the chain stretch and there is no way to adjust the slack out, plus the constant mess of lubing the chain and have all that good gooey chain lube slink all over the places.

Not thanks. best to keep it closed, adjusted and change the oil ever so often or go to a open primary with a regular belt.

My 2 cents.

Mr. Blue

Well, I do keep oil in the primary. Just was something that ran through my head a few days ago. Thanks guys for all the comments.:cheers:
Also Sven, I don't know how you come up with this stuff.:job:

Sven

Just was something that ran through my head a few days ago... Also Sven, I don't know how you come up with this stuff.:job:
Here is how I come up with stuff like this. If you think about it, I deal in absolutes. A real simple real world thought is fuel-spark-compression. Eliminate one and that is pretty much how you narrow down how an engine runs or won't.

So if you look at a master link, you need to show me how you are going to let that pin go dry. So the deal is, I'd say it would be pretty much a given that you rub your palms together real fast they will equally heat up from friction.

Imagine you placing your fist in your palm. Rock your fist half way up and half way down. When the roller goes around the sprocket, it rocks over half of that pin's side.

When the chain stretches, it's not a thin film of grease that already dried out a long time ago from friction. So the pin wear adds up. You pull the chain away from the teeth, its half the pin all worn out is what you're pulling on. There is your gap half way down the street.

Get it? If you flipped the chain and run the inside on the outside? You'd wear down the other half of the pin that never was being worn or touched. Ever pull a worn master link that's never been lubed? See it? So you use grease and jam it into the links with some pressure. And when that flings off and hits the back of your denim and spots it... Real Biker going bye! :roll:

Diesel Dan

FUCKIN SVEN!!!!!!!:lol: laughin my ass off brother:lol:.....love the way you explain shit!!!:roll:

Last edited: